I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9ft 6wt recommendation
Posted by: Alexander Ulslev (---.niras.net)
Date: April 17, 2023 09:39AM

Hi Rodbuilders,

I am a long time lurker on the forum. I am about to make my 8th rod which will be my main rod for sea trout fishing in Denmark. I am currently fishing with a SA volantis integrated WF6 floating line. I might be changing to shootingline, shoothead combo with SA volantis WF6.
I have been looking into CTS Affinity X blanks going for a 7wt instead of 6wt. I want an extra fast action rod.
PS. I don't the opportunity to try different blanks because of the small selection of rodbuilders in EU. I have tried a couple in the store and I like the TFO Axiom II-X 9ft6wt and Scott Sector 9ft6wt rods.

What would be your choice?

Br,

Alexander

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9ft 6wt recommendation
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2023 11:34AM

I'd go with the CTS Affinity X, in either a 6wt or 7wt. What would make me choose between a 6wt and 7wt, the size of the fly patterns you would be casting and the size of the sea trout. I'd lean a bit more towards the 7wt, which will work better in the wind, but still have enough feel that a smaller trout, 2-4lbs will still put a bend in it, but also able to tangle with one that might reach 8-10lbs if they get that large. I have a couple of friends in Norway that use both 6 and 7wt Affinity X rods for this purpose.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.193.64.---)
Date: April 17, 2023 03:54PM

Thank you Bill.
Alexander,
Unhide your email - or email me to get my Rb.Org special pricing.
I would have the CTS Factory ship direct to you.
Herb
CTS Rep

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 17, 2023 04:05PM

I've had no problems catching 30 inch rainbows, steelhead, and char on a 6 wt., like Bill said it's all in the presentation used, steelhead have been caught from San Francico and north on the small Optics series flies on 5 wts. for many decades.

Posted by: Alexander Ulslev (---.niras.net)
Date: April 18, 2023 09:41AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I have send you an email Herb.

I think i will go with the 7wt:
- Recoil guides (black):
RECOIL FLY ROD DOUBLE FOOT GUIDES - 16 x 1
RECOIL FLY ROD DOUBLE FOOT GUIDES - 12 x 1
RECOIL SNAKE GUIDE - 5 x 1
RECOIL SNAKE GUIDE - 4 x 1
RECOIL SNAKE GUIDE - 3 x 6
- Real Seat (black):
REC Aluminum Fly Reel Seat Model RSLL
- Fighting Butt:
Kork duplon
- Grip:
Kork

What do you think of the guide sizing and reel sizing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2023 09:42AM by Alexander Ulslev.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2023 06:41AM

That guide sizing will work, but to make it better, use all #3's after the #12 double foot, so skip the #5 and #4.

Your objective when sizing guides, use what will pass your line connections and the least amount of changes in size, 3 sizes in change is plenty. You want to create the straightest line path.

Posted by: Stan Vogel (---)
Date: April 19, 2023 10:01AM

The last 5 fly rods I have built, 1-6 wt, 2-5 wts, 1-4 wt and 1- 3wt have all had the 1 stripper guide then I ran all #1 single foot guides the rest of the way. All REC recoils

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: April 21, 2023 04:42PM

Stan:

I am about to finish a 9 ft. 6 wt. Epic 690G blank, which is super light. I am using one 12 stripper and then Recoil single foot guides from there. Like you, 1's. I may use one size 4 Recoil to transition between the stripper and the 1's.

My question, on the 6wt did you use the light wire Recoils (RSF) or move up to the heavier wire version. (RSFX)?

Thanks.

Date: April 21, 2023 06:27PM

Heavy, RSFX. I purchased the lighter ones but REC recommended them to be used on 4wt or less.

Senior moment above. The 6 wt was my first fly rod to build and it has snakes. If building a 6wt today I'd use the RSFX single foot guides. The 5 wts have the single foot RSFX REC guides. The 3 and 4 wt have RSF single foot guides.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2023 06:37PM by Stan Vogel.

Date: April 21, 2023 06:36PM

Do you notice that they make a humming noise when casting? Also, how much did you have to ground down the feet?

Date: April 21, 2023 06:39PM

I did grind the feet, enough to work. The singing I hear could be that I don't clean the line as often as I should. I'm getting better at that. I like the guides.

Re-reading this thread I see that the OP was interested in 7/8 wt rods. My next build at those wts will have a stripper, with 1 reduction guide, then all running guides the same size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2023 09:19AM by Stan Vogel.

Date: April 23, 2023 11:26AM

Alexander:

As to your 7 wt, I just built a 9 ft 8 wt rod with Recoil snake guides. You can easily terminate with size 2 running guides instead of size 3. Size 2 is plenty large enough. I went 16, 12 in double foot stripper-like guides then to Recoil double foot snake one each of 5-4-3 and all the rest size 2. Normally I don't taper that much, but did so at a suggestion. You could go 16, 12, 5 and all 2's. Or even 16, 12 and all 2's. Taper or not is up to you, but I'd finish running guides in size 2.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 25, 2023 01:40PM

I don't think you can go wrong with the CTS. I am sure Herb can help you out. Its like shooting at the ground, you can't miss. Why a shooting line, what's the situation?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster