I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nylon vs Poly thread
Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2023 01:20PM

I have been fully retired and out of the game for a few years now and just started to build some rods for sons- in-laws and grand kids.

I notice a large number of poly threads in lieu of nylon.
Is the strength of the poly today as good as the nylon thread?
Use to be nylon was stronger.

Also I see a lot of builders building with straight metallic thread.
Same questions as above.

Is it just my misconception of what use to be or has technology actually helped thread manufacturers?

I always liked the metallic thread but never built one using only metallic thread.
Can you do that now with the current metallic threads, whether nylon or poly?

Thanks all. I still like reading this blog.
Keep up the great work!

Larry Ohara
H&H Custom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nylon vs Poly thread
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 15, 2023 09:36PM

The poly rod wrapping thread is as far as I know just as strong, at least on my rods it appears to work just as well. I started using it when I noticed it is more UV resistant than nylon, holds colors better without fading, and I think more lustrous. I tried full metallics first on the Lamiglas Perigee blanks first, Sulky made a green that blended right in with the blank color and really popped in the sun. Used gold mini trim bands to match the gold fleck in the blank's finish. Doing a Rainshadow SW 967F, 2 piece right now in Sulky metallic blue with NCP white trim right now since the metallic runs through a embroidery machine I think they do a better job of incorporating the metallic into the thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2023 09:54PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 15, 2023 10:15PM

I think Nylon tracks better because of it's stretch, but not as good color selection.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 17, 2023 07:26PM

Except for a Hitena thread which was purported to have high stretch, and it does, I've not noticed stretch differences between poly and nylon. Maybe at the tension I use there isn't much difference. I think the brand characteristics mean a lot more than nylon vs poly. Characteristics like raveling, twist, color, consistency etc. There is one brand I simply will not use again.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 17, 2023 11:12PM

I no longer use any thread but Fuji Ultra Poly. It just works so well from wrapping, finishing, to fishing for me. I’ve landed plenty of large fish on “A” and “D” sized Ultra Poly with no failures. I now only use Gen4 as a finish, too. Other products could very well be just as good as these. However, trying them would add variation to what I’ve been reliably doing. There is a lot to be said for consistent processes and limiting the potential for error. The scientific process of repetition with zero to one experimental elements in-play is beyond being tried and true. I prefer no experimental elements in-play when wrapping and finishing. I’m always amazed at how many people try fairly non-standard products or repurposed components when the potential cost savings is well under five dollars. Cheap blanks and major components are still too pricey for me to mess up for the hopes of saving a couple of bucks.

Blue dunn and maroon both look great to me in Ultra Poly, along with the neutral colors. The only NCP color I’ve used in this product is the neutral gray, and it finished nicely. Mostly, I prefer the non-treated threads and don’t further coat with a color preservative. You can’t make a mistake in a completely optional step that you don’t do. I strive for very neat wraps and have no interest in trying any thread art that would dampen fishing performance. I wouldn’t argue with anyone’s consistently good results with a nylon thread series. I’m just not going to stray from what is now well tested for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2023 11:23PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 18, 2023 07:38AM

Fuji blue dunn is a great color, as is their candy apple. A couple of my favorites. I use the regular thread also, but prefer to use CP to retain the color as on the spool.

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2023 05:06PM

Thank you all for the up date.

My supply of Gudebrod ran out a years ago and now Fish hawk seems to be gone also.
I really like their variegated thread color combinations.

Fuji and Prowrap seems to be the go to threads now.

Larry

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 20, 2023 08:24PM

The metallic threads hold guides just as good as any but they may have a tendency to flake if stressed too much. Nylon stretches more than poly and is easier to work with because of that, whereas poly will make you hold tension on it to get tight wraps, less forgiving. You get better at it and soon it doesn't matter. I have found that some brands are better at not being contaminated than others but in order to get the color you wanted, you may have to risk the brand with more problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster