I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Adding Legth to a 9" 11 wt. Musky Rod
Posted by: George Forster (---)
Date: April 11, 2023 07:12PM

I want to make a 9' 6" 11 wt. fly rod, for Musky fishing. I ran out of patience trying to source that exact blank, so; I've ordered a 9' 11wt. blank, from Rod Geeks, with the idea of extending the butt. I'll be adding a 3 1/2" fighting butt, and don't want to "lose" any of the blank. I realize that lengthening the butt will make the rod faster. Will this make the rod less able to absorb viscious hits? Any advice?
Thanks

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adding Legth to a 9" 11 wt. Musky Rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 11, 2023 07:22PM

I don't think so, though you most be a stouter person than I ever was, multiple days with my G Loomis 9 ft. 9 in. 8 weight would literally blow out my shoulder for weeks.

Posted by: George Forster (---)
Date: April 11, 2023 07:52PM

I'm only going to be using it for a few days, on a trip to the Peshtigo Flowage, in Northern Wisconsin. I figure my shoulder will get a work out. I also have a 9' 9 wt. Pike Rod that I built 14 years ago, with the help of this forum. One rod is a backup for the other, practically speaking. I've got plenty of wide open green space grass--time to get into casting shape!!!

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2023 08:21PM

I think you'll be okay on the "hits" if you keep your drag set properly. The trick will be allowing the line to slip out from under your grip hand and go to the reel if you get a hit while stripping line.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.213.80.---)
Date: April 11, 2023 09:12PM

Use an REC reel Seat and removable fighting butt hardware. The blank will end at 0.5" from the rear end of the seat.
Use the 1: threaded extensions to make the fighting butt as long as you want.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: April 12, 2023 05:30PM

The longer you make a rod, the more leverage you give to the fish! You are the fulcrum, they are at the end of the lever1 There is a reason Tuna rods are short.

Date: April 12, 2023 06:05PM

A longer fighting butt doesn't change anything if the butt lies behind what in effect is the fulcrum. You can put a 2 foot long fighting butt on the rod and it won't change the effective lever, casting length, etc., It's only going to affect rod balance.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.193.64.---)
Date: April 12, 2023 07:19PM

George wants to have more of the blank in play - a fair want.
Herb

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 12, 2023 09:28PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A longer fighting butt doesn't change anything if
> the butt lies behind what in effect is the
> fulcrum. You can put a 2 foot long fighting butt
> on the rod and it won't change the effective
> lever, casting length, etc., It's only going to
> affect rod balance.
>
> ...............

If you add a 2' butt to the rod and still hold the rod from the same distance from the butt, you gave advantage to the fish and would have to pull/lift harder to keep moment arms equal.

Date: April 13, 2023 07:09AM

In the scenario you give, the anger would be moving his hand off of the grip and back towards the butt of the rod. My point is that if you keep your hand on the grip or your normal point of effort any additional length you put on the back of the rod changes nothing other than balance.

………….,

Date: April 13, 2023 07:20AM

Kerry Hansen Wrote:
> Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A longer fighting butt doesn't change anything
> if
> > the butt lies behind what in effect is the
> > fulcrum. You can put a 2 foot long fighting
> butt
> > on the rod and it won't change the effective
> > lever, casting length, etc., It's only going to
> > affect rod balance.
> >
> > ...............
>
> If you add a 2' butt to the rod and still hold the
> rod from the same distance from the butt, you gave
> advantage to the fish and would have to pull/lift
> harder to keep moment arms equal.

Adding a fighting butt of any length to the rear of the rod butt doesn't change the grip location. He'll be holding the rod in the same place as before. The distance from his grip hand (point of effort) to the tip of the rod will remain unchanged.

Date: April 13, 2023 09:40AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> Kerry Hansen Wrote:
> -----
> > Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > A longer fighting butt doesn't change
> anything
> > if
> > > the butt lies behind what in effect is the
> > > fulcrum. You can put a 2 foot long fighting
> > butt
> > > on the rod and it won't change the effective
> > > lever, casting length, etc., It's only going
> to
> > > affect rod balance.
> > >
> > > ...............
> >
> > If you add a 2' butt to the rod and still hold
> the
> > rod from the same distance from the butt, you
> gave
> > advantage to the fish and would have to
> pull/lift
> > harder to keep moment arms equal.
>
>
> Adding a fighting butt of any length to the rear
> of the rod butt doesn't change the grip location.
> He'll be holding the rod in the same place as
> before. The distance from his grip hand (point of
> effort) to the tip of the rod will remain
> unchanged.
>
> .............Not if he uses the REC fighting butt hardware. The blank's butt would end 0.5" from the end of the seat.
Herb

Date: April 13, 2023 10:58AM

The grip to tip length stays the same no matter how long a fighting butt you add.

……….

Date: April 13, 2023 11:24AM

George Forster Wrote:
> I want to make a 9' 6" 11 wt. fly rod, for Musky
> fishing. I ran out of patience trying to source
> that exact blank, so; I've ordered a 9' 11wt.
> blank, from Rod Geeks, with the idea of extending
> the butt. I'll be adding a 3 1/2" fighting butt,
> and don't want to "lose" any of the blank. I
> realize that lengthening the butt will make the
> rod faster. Will this make the rod less able to
> absorb viscious hits? Any advice?
> Thanks

You'll be holding the rod in the same place regardless of your fighting butt. So nothing changes regarding the casting or presentation/retrieving end of things. The only time you will have any difference is when fighting the fish and then only if you put the butt into your gut or waist and use it as the fulcrum.

Date: April 13, 2023 09:22PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> The grip to tip length stays the same no matter
> how long a fighting butt you add.
>
> ……….

Not true.
When using the REC FB hardware the seat is moved aft 0.5" plus length of what the fighting butt was going to be. Thus the grip would follow the seat movement aft
i.e. If the builder was planing on a 3" FB - the seat and grip would be moved aft 3.5" from the position it would be if the butt extended aft of the reel seat by 3" to form the FB.
Herb

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 13, 2023 10:16PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> Kerry Hansen Wrote:
> -----
> > Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > A longer fighting butt doesn't change
> anything
> > if
> > > the butt lies behind what in effect is the
> > > fulcrum. You can put a 2 foot long fighting
> > butt
> > > on the rod and it won't change the effective
> > > lever, casting length, etc., It's only going
> to
> > > affect rod balance.
> > >
> > > ...............
> >
> > If you add a 2' butt to the rod and still hold
> the
> > rod from the same distance from the butt, you
> gave
> > advantage to the fish and would have to
> pull/lift
> > harder to keep moment arms equal.
>
>
> Adding a fighting butt of any length to the rear
> of the rod butt doesn't change the grip location.
> He'll be holding the rod in the same place as
> before. The distance from his grip hand (point of
> effort) to the tip of the rod will remain
> unchanged.
>
> .............

TOM,First, I believe you said adding 2' to the Butt. Second if you did add 2' I really don't think you would still hold the rod at the same place, you would have to move your hand hold rearward 2' to have the same grip location from the body. Finally, I still remember quite well my STATICS engineering course I took in 1962 and You as a ME should see that. The Butt of the rod is the pivot point. So if you added 2' to a rod that is 10', if a fish pulls down with 10 lbs the force down will change from 100 ft lbs to 120 ft lbs and to ballance that out the fisherman with his hands holding the rod the same distance from the butt lets say 2' gives you 100/2= 50 lbs you would be exerting that will increase when adding 2' to 120/2 = 60 lbs force which you will now have to lift.

Date: April 14, 2023 08:52AM

Kerry,

Yes, I've done several articles on lever mechanics in the magazine. They do not apply in this instance however.

Perhaps you're not familiar with fly rods and fighting butts. You will still hold the rod at the same point - the grip determines that, not the fighting butt length. No matter how long the fighting butt is, the grip you hold to cast and fight the fish with will be in the same location. The distance from your grip to the tip of the rod will remain the same. A fighting butt is simply a plug-in onto the rear of the reel seat. No matter how long the fighting butt is, the reel seat and grip remain in the same place.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: April 14, 2023 09:38AM

I add fighting butts to fly rods most often to actually make it easier for the fisherman to lift and pull against the fish. I won't get the terms right but when fighting a fish the fighting butt means your fish fighting hand will be closer to the fish to that portion of the lever will then be shorter. I cannot see how a fighting butt is going to given any advantage to the fish.

Date: April 14, 2023 09:49AM

You are mostly correct. If you read my earlier post, I mentioned that simply adding a fighting butt to the rear of a reel seat is not going to change the casting or presentation aspects of the rod. The reel set and grip will remain exactly the same distance from the tip as they did before you added the fighting butt. However, the instant you put the butt of the rod in your gut, you have just changed the lever to a 3rd class lever and the fulcrum is now the butt of the rod. A fighting butt added there means the point of effort (your grip) is now further from the fulcrum and therefore lessons the amount of effort required to lift the load (fish). The more distance you have between the fulcrum and the point of effort the easier will be to lift the load (fight the fish).

Bob would be correct if you are simply moving everything back including the point of effort, but a fighting butt doesn't do that.

Any time you add length to a rod and want to know what effect it will have on casting, fish fighting, etc., consider whether you are adding the additional length ahead of, or behind, the point of effort and if that additional length is just hanging in the air, as it would be for casting, or placed into your gut, fighting belt, etc.for fighting the fish.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: April 14, 2023 08:49PM

Where's the missing 2 1/2 inches? In his original post he says he is going from 9ft to 9ft 6inches. 3 1/2 inch butt does not add 6 inches the rod.. If the grip and reel seat are moved towards the butt, leverage is added for the fish.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster