I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod guide sizing
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 11, 2023 11:20AM

I'm in the process of building my first fly rod. It's a NFC 9', 2 piece 5wt. I've already built the handle and established the straightest axis for each piece. I have two suggestions for guide sizing; both have 11 guides + tip. The strippers are a 12 and a 10 on both suggestions, but after that it differs. One recipe is 12, 10, (both double foot), then 5, 4, two 3's, and four 2's. The other is 12,10, (both double foot), 4, 3, three 2's, and four 1's. Is the diameter of the snake guides going to make a significant difference in the casting ability and fighting performance of the rod? Thanks!

Dave Sytsma

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod guide sizing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2023 12:09PM

You don't need all those different sizes. 3 sizes is plenty. So for the stripping guide use the 12, then follow with an 8 and then move on and out with either all 2's or 1's, whichever will easily pass your line and leader connection. I suspect you can get by with #1's, but if you're not sure use the 2's.

Using a bunch of different sizes with the idea that you create a more gradual line path reduction, doesn't. It just adds unnecessary weight. You'll get a straighter line path and at less weight if you cut out all the unnecessary sizes in the middle.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: April 11, 2023 12:41PM

12-8-1’s is what I have been using on 5/6 lately .

If using fuji style stripper, I like 12-6-1’s.

Just finished a 5wt Gamma Beta with 12-8-6 cerecoils to the tip. Casts nice but we will see on durability

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2023 02:46PM

Like Tom K said, three changes in guide size, I regularly use 1/0 snakes (Snake Brand Universals) on 5wts as the final size and I have never had a problem passing line connections nor have I had a customer compliant on that.
Object is to create the straightest line path with the least amount of changes in size and smallest size of guides possible to keep excess weight off blank. Over sizing guides does nothing for casting quality or performance.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 11, 2023 04:02PM

I appreciate everyone's advice. My strippers are Alps LXN Titanium and the rest are Snake Brand Universals with Ecoating, standard wire. I have more than enough either 1's or 2's, but not 1/0's, so I think I'll use the 1's. If anyone wants to weigh in with additional advice, you are more than welcome. My fly rod experience is limited to an old 9' bamboo or a 7 1/2' Shakespeare Presidential glass I used 55 years ago for bluegills, so this is sort of a step up.

Dave

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 20, 2023 05:15PM

Tom got that right, minimize the sizes ( to keep weight down).
I don't use #1's because they seem to catch joints in fly fines, especially if you are using loop to loop connection with Skagit or Scandi heads.
I save my #1's for bamboo or really lightweight rods 2 & 3 wts.

Good luck with that build.

Larry

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: April 21, 2023 02:19PM

Above advice is sound.

My motto, go small in running guides and get their fast. Some guy named Tom Morgan espoused the small running guide viewpoint.

I just built an NFC LMX FAF 905-4. I used single foot running guides. 1's are fine for a 5wt running snake guides, some would say 1/0. I'd not bother with that. Certainly no need for 2's.

On my 5 wt I just did a size 10 double foot stripper (12 or 10 is fine) and went directly to a size 5 single foot guide followed by size 1's. Works just fine. I have fished the rod and have zero issues related to line to leader loops or knots passing through the guides. On a 5 wt I do not believe you need a second, stripper-like guide (technically only the first guide is the stripper guide). On a 5 wt just go from one stripper right to your snake style running guides with only one, or at most two, transition/taper sizes. It saves weight and money and there is no loss in performance. So 12/10-5-3-all 1's; or 12/10-4-all 1s.

In my opinion most people on their fly rods use guides that are unnecessarily large.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster