I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC 'equivalent' to the St. Croix SCV576MLXF ?
Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: April 06, 2023 10:59AM

For people who have built on this SCV and are familiar with the NFC blanks - which model, if any, is very close to the SCV576MLXF?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC 'equivalent' to the St. Croix SCV576MLXF ?
Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: April 06, 2023 11:27AM

May not be helpful but, Rodgeeks has that blank if you want to spend $190… carbon 5 series.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 06, 2023 12:06PM

Don't remember any blank that starts out with that soft a tip and the same bend, the bend is similar to the old Shikari P700 or G Loomis P8400 for us codgers, but the tip is a bit stiffer on those blanks.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: April 06, 2023 12:09PM

I know - and I actually get it on discount, and can drive 30 minutes to the St. Croix factory to pick it up with no shipping charges. I'm curious about trying an NFC blank though - and that's an action/power/length I'd be interested in

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 06, 2023 01:39PM

The P702-1 (HM) is listed as an extra fast action, the old 2 power G Loomis and Shikari weren't, I'd call them for info. Might be similar to the P700.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2023 10:38PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: April 06, 2023 02:13PM

Don’t know anything about either rod, but the NFC HS7600-1 HM has a similar weight and ratings. Would be nice if the St Croix blank had some CCS data available for comparative purposes. The HS7600-1 IM has an IP=405 gm and AA=75, the HM version should be close.
[northforkcomposites.com]
Norm

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: April 07, 2023 08:10PM

Anyone try the NFC SJ762. On paper it looks like a good alternative to the SCV76MLXF.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (172.107.238.---)
Date: April 07, 2023 09:35PM

The SJ762 bend deeper into the blank. The 76mlxf is pretty unique with a very light, fast tip, but then it locks down a lot more quickly near the tip than a rod like the SJ762.

I have the SJ762, HS7600-2 HM, and the 5c76mlxf. I will need to flex the HS7600 side by side (in separate locations right now), but I believe the HS7600 is more powerful with a stiffer tip section.

I really want to find the CRB rod deflection tool so I can flex 2 rods side by side and take pictures of the rods with the same loads to help compare.

Date: April 08, 2023 07:57AM

Thx for comparison dean! Sound like that 76MLXF is very similar to an older 3c69MLXF I have. It was different from the other XF Croixs I have or had. Locks up extremely quickly with very light tip. Much faster than the 5s69MLXF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2023 08:06AM by Matt Ruggie.

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2023 10:03AM

The St Croixs SCIII 69MLXF rods are truly something special. the Axid X 6’9ML XF is my unicorn rod. Great balance, sensitivity, ergonomics, taper, and price... have used it for everything from drop shot to weightless Texas rigs to tossing salted minnows for stream trout. With the way RodGeeks customer service has been lately and lack of inventory, probably the only rod I’d buy from them now is the B3610MLXF

Date: April 08, 2023 02:19PM

Evan, I agree great blanks. The 3c69MLXF I mentioned was alittle different tho. It's was from when SC first added IPC to the avid/SCIII line up(when the blanks switched from matte black/grey to gloss grey). Was very much softer and faster tipped than the other 3 or 4 69MLXF I've used. IDK how long it was actually produced like that but for short time I believe the spin and cast versions were slightly different.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster