I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FlexCoat Epoxy Brush Cleaner
Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: April 04, 2023 10:58AM

I had the chance to talk to Roger Seiders at ICRBE and what a treat that was.
Roger is a titan in the rod building arena.

He showed me his epoxy brush cleaner and commented that its nothing like acetone...etc...etc.
I bought some and I am here to tell you...this (IMO) is a game changer for me.

I put a very little amount in a cup...swish the brush in it...clean it off. Done.
But heres the kicker...the stuff doesnt evaperate!!

I like to use good brushes and one of the problems with acetone is it degrades the glue holding the bristles to the wood.
That problem is gone. And...I swear it (FlexCoat) make the bristles softer.

People...this is the real deal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FlexCoat Epoxy Brush Cleaner
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (107.119.41.---)
Date: April 04, 2023 11:17AM

I’ve seen that stuff, but I use disposable brushes so…

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (94.140.11.---)
Date: April 04, 2023 11:21AM

My brushes get stiff after use - and I wash them in soapy water - as directed.
Herb

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2023 11:36AM

I suspect the Flex Coat brush cleaner is much the same as the U-40 product which I have found to be the very best way to clean and store brushes. No muss no fuss. Just wipe off the brush, drop it in a small cup of brush cleaner and walk away. It'll be there ready to go the next time you need it. Just pull it out of the cleaner, wipe it off and use it. Again, assuming the two cleaners are at least similar, the product does not evaporate quickly. I can put an ounce in an open plastic cup and two months later most of it is still there. So this is not an expensive product to use. If you haven't tried it, you should.

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2023 02:14PM

Daryl Ferguson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’ve seen that stuff, but I use disposable
> brushes so…

I too use the disposable brushes. $2 for a 30 pack. Usually end up using 2 brushes per build (2 coats of epoxy) which equates to 13cents per rod. I haven’t seen any finish issues that would direct me to use a better brush. Then again, I’ve only been building for 2 years and have about 15 builds under my belt.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 04, 2023 02:43PM

I have used both U40 and Flex Coat and they both are wonderful products that do exactly what they are supposed to do. I too like to use good quality brushes, and unless I forget to clean them (yup, now and then) they last a very long time.

I just tried these brushes and they are very nice, shaped right for me, and clean and soft. No loose bristles yet. A little more than a quarter apiece.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 04, 2023 11:11PM

Michael,
These are also very satisfactory brushes.

[www.amazon.com]

I never clean a brush and use one brush for each mix of epoxy finish. The cost per brush is 10 cents, so with a single coat - which is normally what I put on a rod is 10 cents, or if a shorter rod with shorter butt wraps may be able to get two rods coated with one brush or 5 cents per rod for epoxy application.

No cleaner, no fumes, no fuss, no muss.

Take care

Posted by: Sam McKormak (37.120.130.---)
Date: April 05, 2023 05:25AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> unless I forget to clean them
> (yup, now and then) they last a very long time.

That's been my main cause of needing to get a new brush sadly. Lost like 2 or 3 Flex Coat ones to this...
You shoulda seen look on the faces of folks from local outdoor sports store when I showed up the very next day to get exactly same brush :D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2023 08:54AM by Sam McKormak.

Date: April 06, 2023 05:40PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> I suspect the Flex Coat brush cleaner is much the
> same as the U-40 product which I have found to be
> the very best way to clean and store brushes. No
> muss no fuss. Just wipe off the brush, drop it in
> a small cup of brush cleaner and walk away. It'll
> be there ready to go the next time you need it.
> Just pull it out of the cleaner, wipe it off and
> use it. Again, assuming the two cleaners are at
> least similar, the product does not evaporate
> quickly. I can put an ounce in an open plastic cup
> and two months later most of it is still there. So
> this is not an expensive product to use. If you
> haven't tried it, you should.
>
> ...........

Sounds to me that you use brushes saturated with the cleaner - wipe them off - and use them without washing per product instructions. If it's a cleaner - it must be a solvent. It's compatable with thread finish??
Herb

Date: April 06, 2023 06:10PM

Yes, it is perfectly compatible with any epoxy or urethane finish. You never even know it's there.

Date: April 07, 2023 02:55PM

Well - bad advice - at least with FlexCoat.
Many tiny pock marks that could have been mini fisheyes.
Was my 2nd coat after a light first coat.
Had to take it off with DNA.
Herb

Date: April 07, 2023 03:19PM

Unlikely the brush cleaner was your issue. However, I am only familiar with the U-40 cleaner and have been using it for at least 20 years without a hitch.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2023 10:51PM

Why aren't you all using a spatula - especially Tom - after the article I bumped into by Ralph O'Quinn I'm surprised you're using a bristle brush.

All of these issues would be resolved using a spatula, Ralph took it too an absolute perfectionist level, but I'm sure whatever spatula you get your hands on will help with all this

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Date: April 09, 2023 09:13AM

I use a brush in the same way you'd use a spatula. I don't brush the epoxy on. I just let the epoxy transfer from the brush to the wrap. No brushing.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2023 09:44AM

Yep, brushes can be used just like spatulas, they both work well. I use cheap brushes that I reuse. After using a brush, I wipe off the excess epoxy and place the brush in a tall jar containing some acetone and screw on the cap and set it aside. When the jar is full, I remove all the brushes and dry them with a paper towel and start over again. Have used the same brushes for years. I guess I’m going to have to try the FlexCoat or U40 brush cleaners to see how they work.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster