I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Severe Rod Breakage Repair
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 03, 2023 01:16AM

A very long-term friend gave me her father’s slightly used yet 98% pristine vintage Fenwick FF79 a few years ago. In turn, I gave it to my son who is more into fly fishing than me. Long-story-short, it succumbed to the dreaded truck door disaster, crushing it in the lower third and clean-breaking it in the upper third. While sentimental value is certainly the most prevalent here, the FF79 has been (arguably) stated to be the best fly rod Fenwick ever built. Hence, I decided to give the poor old thing, an otherwise throw-away rod, a second chance at performing its original intent (actually a third chance, but that is another story).
As seen in the photos, the lower portion was crushed with 80% of the fractures longitudinal (actually a good thing if there is such). The upper portion had a clean break with a severe fracture ~ 2.5in lower down the rod.
So, repair time. While this is how I performed the repair, I am hoping others will chime-in on their procedures as well; I am here to learn.
Fortunately, I had a number of vintage FG Conolon blanks and pieces of varying tapers to find an exact matching taper, paramount to producing proper repairs. Tapers were measured over 10 inches of both the Fenwick rod and the prospective Conolon blank pieces; I was fortunate to find virtually exact tapers to produce the internal spigot ferrules/ stints. They were cut ~ 3 inches past where the breaks / fractures were. Structural laminating epoxy was applied which soaked / wicked into the fractures to form a good bond, wrapped with release film (thin plastic sheeting is acceptable) and left to cure overnight.
The following morning, the release film was removed and the area was lightly sanded to remove the ridges left by the film. Silk thread was wrapped over the affected areas followed by an application of CTS Crystal Coat epoxy.
So that is basically my method of resurrecting a notable rod from the dumpster. How do you do it???
Will my repairs be undetectable from the original rod? = hardley. Would any one really notice the difference?” = possibly. Is the rod still usable? = definitely. I’m confident that the effort was worth it!!!
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Severe Rod Breakage Repair
Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: April 03, 2023 06:05AM

Looks great. At worst you still have a nice wall hanger.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2023 11:32AM

Mark - Looks very nice, good job. Now you just have to take it and catch some fish with it to see how it holds up.
Norm

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.242.14.198.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 03, 2023 12:49PM

That really looks nice.
Steve

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: April 03, 2023 03:16PM

Mark, Norman and Steven,
I certainly appreciate the compliments = thanks. I am hoping to learn from others as to how they perform such repairs; I may not be the smartest man in the world but I like to associate myself with and learn from those who might just be.
Without any replies to my post a few days ago, Fenwick FF79 CCS?!?, I will not have any hard-numbers to reveal how the breaks and repairs affected the rod’s characteristics. Hopefully, someone with a FF79 will take the time to measure it. Now that I think of it, I wish I would have weighed the rod before and after the repairs; dang rookies!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 03, 2023 04:51PM

The repairs down low will probably not affect much of anything except weight. The tip repair has to slow the tip recovery speed a little, but probably not major. I expect if it holds up it will fish well. Just enjoy it. Nice recovery of a special rod.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: April 03, 2023 05:22PM

Michael,
Thanks for your reply. I suspect you are correct in that although the rod WAS BROKEN and that weight WAS ADDED for the repairs, its original characteristics should only be altered minimally. I am not certain that I could tell the difference, being as numb as I am. But then there are those who claim to notice a 1g difference in a rod. Maybe ignorance IS bliss.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster