I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Paint under epoxy
Posted by: John Nesse (24.118.138.---)
Date: April 02, 2023 05:30PM

I’d like to paint the section of the blank between the rear grip and the reel seat on a split grip spinning rod. I’d like to apply epoxy over the paint. Are there any paint types or best practices I should be aware of? Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paint under epoxy
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: April 02, 2023 06:17PM

I am going to color the space between split grips this evening. I use VooDoo dust in rod finish (Gen4) to do this. It durably and reliably does two steps in one. I’d just leave the raw carbon, but I put a hook keeper there and like to have finish between the hooks and the blank.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 02, 2023 06:34PM

Epoxy is not a good top coat for a blank finish. Find a urethane type paint that you don't have to over-coat. Spray-Max is a good one but unless you're doing several rods it may be cost prohibitive.

Posted by: John Nesse (24.118.138.---)
Date: April 02, 2023 10:52PM

Understood, Tom, and thank you. This is just the area between the rod butt and the reel seat. 6” of blank that will not be bending.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2023 09:14AM

The trouble with epoxy is that it's not going to resist scratches and will tend to turn amber or yellow as it ages.

Posted by: John Nesse (---)
Date: April 03, 2023 02:31PM

More detail...

This is a spinning rod with a split grip. There is about 6" between the rod butt and the reel seat where the blank is expoxed. I got some epoxy on that section of the blank and made the mistake of trying to sand it off (very lightly). The blank is fine, but the finish is poor. The is the area where I'd normally put the factory sticker. My idea is to paint this small section of the blank, put a coat of epoxy down, then the factory sticker, then a second and possibly third coat of epoxy. I'll probably just shoot some spray can enamel on it and coat with epoxy unless you guys tell me it's a terrible idea. I'm not worried about scratching/yellowing of the epoxy. I'd have epoxy on half of this section regardless just to deal with the factory sticker.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: April 03, 2023 02:57PM

If it is a painted blank originally and the paint has not been removed to the underlying surface, the finish scratches will most likely disappear with a finish over the section.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2023 04:44PM

I have painted the gap between split grips with a spray auto paint, such as DupliColor. After it has dried I clear coated with a coat or two of Permagloss. Did this using a brush while turning. This gives a very thin and durable finish that will not yellow. Have done this on a number of white rods with no yellowing If you use epoxy the amber/yellow color is quite noticeable.
Norm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster