I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Getting to page 1876
Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: April 05, 2023 08:57AM

Rick Handrick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so..... did we ever get to page 1876 or did we
> just get hopelessly sidetracked?

Yeah. Ironically i went there and read some OG posts.

It would be fun for someone to pick a page and post it once a week just for history and curiosity sake.

I may purposely comment on some old stuff time to time to see if old ideas can be a catalyst for some new ones.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Joel Wick (---.norlight.net)
Date: April 05, 2023 08:58AM

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (107.119.41.---)
Date: April 05, 2023 09:44AM

Aaron Petersen Wrote:
> Rick Handrick Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> It would be fun for someone to pick a page and
> post it once a week just for history and curiosity
> sake.

No it wouldn’t! It’d be annoying. There’s a reason it’s on page 700, or whatever. Also, one of the nice things about this forum is the zero tolerance of non-sense, nothing to do with rod building threads.

I’ve been a long time member, and moderator, of a guitar forum and one of the things that has always been a thorn in my side are the few knuckleheads that start nonsense threads that have nothing to do with guitars, or even music for that matter. The owner allows general topic discussions as long as they’re not about politics or religion. What I think happens with the same three or four knuckleheads is they get bored. They’ll post idiotic threads on mentally stimulating topics such as “Thinking about going without socks today, thoughts?”. Inevitably, grown men and women end up acting like two year olds and I, or one of the other mods, have to lock or delete the thread.

Frankly, I would’ve already locked or deleted this thread as it has long deteriorated past the original topic to the point where it’s just bickering back and forth for no apparent reason other than the posters can. Has anyone’s opinion been changed? No, and that’s the clear indicator that the thread has run its course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2023 09:52AM by Daryl Ferguson.

Date: April 05, 2023 10:00AM

@ Daryl

It would be on topic. It wouldn't be nonsensical at all. If I were to go back to a good thread with an idea, look at it through my lense, and apply another angle to the discussion then it would be well worth while for the whole community potentially. I wouldn't be bringing up Phil E posts. Although, those who don't take things too literal can see value in some of his discussion as it does tend to spark ideas from time to time. This site is full of value adding ideas and many are hidden gems. Why not try to resurface them. Not to be annoying but to generate discussion on things that now may have different answers due to the research and current materials we can work with.

Suggesting it is annoying is dismissive and potentially damaging.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2023 10:08AM

I'm glad you're not a moderator here Daryl ;) I think this discussion was much worth having and I'm glad web could have it openly as a forum. It remained civil and hopefully the community can have more opportunities to discuss and grow and not just give feedback on blanks and layouts, but connect as people who are people.

I'm with you on the nonsense being buffered, but I don't think this conversation could be called nonsense and it very much is about rod building explicitly.

@Aaron I've thought to do similar things, I think I did reply to an older thread once and have thought to do it again if it made sense. I think there can be some value brining some of them to the front again with fresh perspectives to add. You made some great points on page 3 my man, I hope they don't go unnoticed, I have nothing to add- well said.

@Darly part of the reason something is on page 700 is because of the format here. Some threads have only a few responses, and then falls back a couple pages. And then the same exact question is posted again only to get a couple responses. Or it gets tons of responses- what happened to the first thread? Just gets pushed back towards 1876 and forgotten. Then the same question gets posted again a week or 2 later sometimes.

I see no problem with creating another spine/straight axis thread or how many guides thread or my epoxy isn't doing what I tell it to thread - because we want current perspectives and ideas and experiences and current member input. But sometimes things just go unnoticed and end up one step away from 1876 - on page 2 - and then the question gets asked again. Sometimes the response they get is "go look in older posts, that's why there's a search option"

And we've already discussed why the search option isn't always helpful

Search MB 735... in 20 years nobody has talked about an MB 735. then search again without a space between the B and 7 "MB735... in 20 years I'm the only person that's posted about the MB 735. But you'd never find it in that little space between the B and the 7.

I'll add that I commend the moderators for allowing this discussion to carry on, because where else could we have this discussion?

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2023 10:10AM by El Bolinger.

Date: April 05, 2023 10:26AM

El Bolinger Wrote:

>
> I see no problem with creating another
> spine/straight axis thread or how many guides
> thread or my epoxy isn't doing what I tell it to
> thread - because we want current perspectives and
> ideas and experiences and current member input

My mind is blown! I was literally looking through some old posts. I found this gem [www.rodbuilding.org]

Really cool to see how far we have come because amazing people did the research on spine vs straight axis.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: April 05, 2023 11:31AM

Aaron Petersen Wrote:
> El Bolinger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > I see no problem with creating another
> > spine/straight axis thread or how many guides
> > thread or my epoxy isn't doing what I tell it
> to
> > thread - because we want current perspectives
> and
> > ideas and experiences and current member input
>
> My mind is blown! I was literally looking through
> some old posts. I found this gem
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
>
> Really cool to see how far we have come because
> amazing people did the research on spine vs
> straight axis.

You just made my point. That "gem" is a dinosaur, and pointless to be brought back to page 1.

There are two types of posters on these bulletin board forums and, as a moderator of one for over 20 years, I know what I'm talking about. There are those that will lurk around, maybe post, but usually not. They will make great use of the search feature and will find whatever information they seek that's on page 400, 500, 899, etc...The other type, and the most popular, will post a new topic when there's one on the exact same topic half way down the first page. They can't be bothered with a simple search. My point is the first type will find that information no matter what page it's on. The other is going to post regardless of how easy the information is to find so there's no point to thread bumping as we mods call it.

EI, I'm certain you'd find me to be most fair in my moderating. But, it's a moot discussion, because I barely have time to mod the one. I certainly would not consider another. Thus, you are safe. lol

p.s. As one that tries to follow his own advice, I've spoken on this topic as much as I'm going to. Peace, joy and love to all who are participating and/or following the trials and tribulations of the page 1876 thread!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2023 11:54AM by Daryl Ferguson.

Date: April 05, 2023 11:53AM

@Daryl

I fail to see how I made your point. I did not post it on page one. I was simply connecting with another person here through coincidence. I simply thought it was neat I found a post in which you can see how far our passion has come by challenging, in this case, even our own ideas through research. A lesson can be learned through our history. Otherwise why note delete everything over a few years old? I feel it must be preserved. One day I hope to be telling my great grandkids about how they build rods in a manner from which I learned from people here on this forum. Many of which I would consider to be legends of our craft.

If the admin or mods have issues with me responding to older posts in the archive please private message me so that I may respect your wishes. I definitely am not looking to cause problems. I trust that through my post history you find that I am serious, thoughtful, and respectful.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 05, 2023 12:17PM

Aaron, you did nothing wrong at all buy responding to an older post. During my tenure I never set the forum to bring topics back to the top whenever someone responded. However, the new App requires that setting so it is what it is. Many claim to like having previous posts bump back to the top while others do not. As things are, If an old post pops back up and someone's not interested in that topic, simply move along.

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster