I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Getting to page 1876
Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: April 03, 2023 10:34AM

Chris Catignani Wrote:

> Anyone new to rodbuilding is more than likely
> gonna watch a video.

***BINGO***

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: April 03, 2023 11:07AM

Chris Catignani Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Mike...I am one of those long time board members
> too...
> Anyone new to rodbuilding is more than likely
> gonna watch a video.
> Currently there's a thread on Guide Choice for
> inshore saltwater rod...
> Do you think an older thread would answer that
> question best?

Maybe- but you would have to do a search to find out.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: April 03, 2023 11:08AM

El Bolinger Wrote:
> Chris Catignani Wrote:
>
> > Anyone new to rodbuilding is more than likely
> > gonna watch a video.
>
> ***BINGO***

Videos are not new. And you cannot ask the guy in the video any questions as he goes along. They have a place but they did not replace message boards like this one and certainly not the magazine.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (107.119.41.---)
Date: April 03, 2023 03:17PM

Mike nails it! I’m new and while I do watch a lot of videos, those serve more as demonstrations. This forum is better to get more info and opinions. Like all information, rod building info can be gathered from numerous sources, and that’s my approach. Then I analyze it and do what works best for me.

Speaking of videos, I’ve been watching some old videos Tom did demonstrating how to do inlays, and then practicing on an old, busted blank I have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2023 03:21PM by Daryl Ferguson.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 03, 2023 04:48PM

Here's my opinion. While this forum may be (and I believe it is the most expert and valuable rod-building forum) the best and most successful forum on rod building, it has some room for improvement. When you decide you no longer have to strive for improvement, you can quickly find yourself in trouble. Ask GM if you need an example of a company that thought they were meeting all the needs of their customers and soon found out they had many fewer customers.

There may be a good reason why the photo section has separate sign-in requirements, but from a user standpoint it makes no sense. It is a PIA.

The search function seems to sometimes works and sometimes not. I think that it is not very "smart." A misplaced space can mean the difference between success and failure.

The users, members, can improve too. Too many think that they alone have the answer, not seeming to realize that little differences in a process that are sometimes not realized and certainly not communicated can make the difference between success and failure. What most of us have is an opinion, not a FACT. But we present them as FACTS. Posters often don't seem to realize what they are posting is exactly what someone else has already posted. Of what value is that, except maybe to the poster's ego? When started with "I agree with. . . " then it makes sense. But to just repeat it with no acknowledgment of the previous post is just rude.

Look up the meaning of "verbose" if you don't already know what it means.

New ideas are often met with scorn, what we in engineering used to call "not invented here." (NIH) Which meant "if it is not my idea, it cannot be very good"

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2023 06:07PM

The photo page is a separate website - it has never been part of this forum and I chose it because it was more robust in features than any forum photo page was. I suspect as time goes along Alex will have to make a major change as the support for this particular forum and the photo site will no longer exists. That may be his idea with the App.

New ideas are great, but they need to work. I have spent 25 years proving that my ideas work, all the while having to listen to people telling me that I don't know what I'm doing. How many people do these folks with these better ideas draw to their events? How many people subscribe to their magazine? How many people use their forums? How many people do they draw to their seminars with social media as their primary source of advertising? The proof is always in the pudding. My endeavors have continued to evolve with the times and with a knowledge of the industry and demographics that most with the "better ideas" simply don't have. Anybody can proffer an idea, but few really believe in those ideas enough to put money behind them and give them a fair test. The proof is in the pudding.

I spoke with a guy last week who has a "better idea" for Bass Pro Shops. He thinks Johnny Morris is an idiot for continuing to print and mail tens of millions of Bass Pro Shops catalogs each year in this new, social media era. I know Johnny Morris - he's not an idiot. He knows exactly what he's doing in spite of those who think otherwise.

As far as NIH - remember that I offered present your TNF procedure to thousands and thousands of rod builders in the magazine and you declined. NIH has never been part of anything I've been involved with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2023 07:12PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.79.---)
Date: April 03, 2023 07:10PM

NIH

Date: April 03, 2023 07:15PM

I offered to publish your TNF procedure in the magazine but you declined. So let's not play the NIH card - it's not true.

Date: April 03, 2023 08:11PM

It's not just about TNF. Yes you did. But I chose not to with the hostility of others including the CEO, who challenged it but has never produced any data to back up his position. A general "arrogance of expertise" that hangs over the forum. There is room for improvement. IMHO

Date: April 03, 2023 08:22PM

The owner of this forum cannot dictate what is in the magazine (nor would he even attempt to do that). And only a small percentage of this forum's users take the magazine. You had the opportunity (and still do) to present your process to thousands of rod builders via the magazine.

Expertise is something that has to be proven. Some of us have done it, repeatedly. Others have the opportunity. Why turn it down?

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: April 03, 2023 08:25PM

Beware of the Strawman apophony.

Date: April 03, 2023 08:37PM

One thing that could be improved would be to not need to sign back in every time to respond. I will consider again your offer to publish TNF in the magazine.

Posted by: Joel Wick (181.214.107.---)
Date: April 03, 2023 08:43PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> One thing that could be improved would be to not
> need to sign back in every time to respond. I
> will consider again your offer to publish TNF in
> the magazine.

That's settings on your device, not the website.

Date: April 03, 2023 09:01PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> One thing that could be improved would be to not
> need to sign back in every time to respond. I
> will consider again your offer to publish TNF in
> the magazine.

Joel is correct - the website doesn't automatically require you to log in each time you return here. Your device controls that. If you have it set to not allow "cookies" then the site cannot recognize you each time you return.

If you want to do something on the TNF process, write it up and send it to me. I'll be working on the June issue in the next couple of weeks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2023 09:07PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: April 03, 2023 09:21PM

Cannot find the settings. any tips? Still having to scroll to find the latest post . Any tips?

Date: April 03, 2023 09:28PM

It will be on your device, not the forum. If you have your device set to not accept cookies from this site, then the forum cannot recognize you each time you come here, so you have to log in again. If you can access your device's settings for cookies you should be able to set it to allow cookies for individual sites, such as this one. Once you do that the forum will recognize the cookie it sends and your device stores and automatically recognize you each time you visit here. No further log ins would be required.

Look in your internet browser's settings under something like "cookie management." Depending on what browser you use it may be under the "preferences" settings.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2023 09:35PM

Whoever is running tackle warehouse already had a better idea than bass pro, there's a reason they get the nod by almost every single YouTuber and practically nobody mentions anything about bass pro ever. But thats not the point here.

Mick, well said all around my friend, you've been here for quite some time and I hope you are heard well.

Nobody here said you don't know what you're doing Tom, nobody said anything about you at all. I merely made an observation about the outdated technology here - nothing about 25 years or ideas.

But with you making those comments I must ask, are you the only one in the industry with good ideas? Are you the only one who understands the market and the demographics? Are you the only one who has nothing left to learn?

Date: April 03, 2023 09:37PM

I'm pretty sure Mick is using the App, his problem will persist until there is an update for the app as it does not remain logged in.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: April 03, 2023 11:59PM

Joel Wick Wrote:
> Michael Danek Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > One thing that could be improved would be to
> not
> > need to sign back in every time to respond.
> I
> > will consider again your offer to publish TNF
> in
> > the magazine.
>
> That's settings on your device, not the website.

This! The only time I have to re sign in on my phone, or computer, is if I clear my browser history.

Date: April 04, 2023 12:07AM

And we all know the only reason to clear your browser history...

Dddaaarrryyylllllll;)

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster