I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gen 4 Thread Finish
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: April 01, 2023 09:06AM

I only have experience with ProKote and Flex Coat Original High Build. If someone told me I had to make a choice between the two and could never use the other again, I'd probably stick with Flex Coat. However, I do wish it had just a few minutes longer pot life. I love the working time of ProKote, but it takes much longer to set up. I have some Gen 4 on order and would like to know from those of you that have used it where it falls in relation to ProKote and Flex Coat Original High Build.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gen 4 Thread Finish
Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: April 01, 2023 09:30AM

I can only confirm your experience with ProKote that it does take longer to cure than any other finish I've used. Not familiar with Flex Coat, but I would imagine Gen 4 is similar in cure time. I've used Thread Master Light a bunch, and LS Supreme (U40)...and Gen 4 seems to cure out in the same ball park of time.

So, I have once again succinctly answered the question you did not ask! Ha! Hope this helps.

Date: April 01, 2023 09:48AM

That's ok Les, more info is always better! I'd also be curious where Gen 4 falls in the consistency realm. There's quite a bit of difference in thickness between ProKote (pretty thin) and Flex Coat.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2023 01:01PM

I’ve never used ProKote. Years back I try some Flex Coat, nice stuff and yes the working time was short, set up well, and full cure was pretty quick.

I’ve been using Gen 4 lately, I like it a lot. Yes, the working time and time to full cure is longer, but my shop runs around 65-68 degrees. So it’s expected that it will take longer to reach full cure. I would say I allow my rods to rotate for about 5-6 hours, then into a drying rack till the next day, I just leave them alone.
I also used Threadmaster Lite for years, that will cure a bit quicker than Gen 4. No complaints on Threadmaster, I was just introduced to Andy thru a friend and he sent me a sample of Gen 4 and I just moved over to that.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 02, 2023 03:57PM

Andy now has a Facebook group, may be a great place to ask about the product. Just joined last night.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: April 02, 2023 09:58PM

I just used some Gen4. At 69 degrees it took about eight hours to cure hard. The mix was extremely close to 50/50 and well blended. The coat thickness was medium. I lightly used a butane torch to release bubbles after application. My supply is pre-retail sent to me by Andy.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (107.119.41.---)
Date: April 02, 2023 10:54PM

Kendall, how long did you have to keep the rod turning on the dryer? I’m able to turn the dryer off after 2.75 hours with Flex Coat Original High Build.

p.s. who is Andy?

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: April 03, 2023 08:08AM

Andy Dear is his name, maker of Thread Master epoxies and Gen 4. Probably makes some other stuff, too. (Oh yeah, he also had some lathe mandrels he sold years ago.) He had a very informative video (You Tube?) on making a custom, wooden fly reel seat insert and grip.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: April 03, 2023 09:41AM

Daryl, I’m petty conservative about stopping dryer rotation so I can’t give you a great answer. I keep a sacrificial, test disc turning with rods. This allows me to do touch tests without messing up finish on a rod. My best guess from this would be four hours.

Andy Dear also writes, interviews, and produces fly fishing related content. I wish his 15 minute epoxy was still available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2023 08:59PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: April 03, 2023 11:21AM

I just used Gen 4 and found it to mix well, have low bubble count when mixing, and applied nicely and evenly. Very clear. I like it.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (107.119.41.---)
Date: April 03, 2023 03:10PM

Thanks!

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: April 12, 2023 08:17PM

Gen4 is AMAZING!!! Best finish I have ever used in every way.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: April 13, 2023 01:34PM

I put a few drops of DNA or IPA in my Gen 4 and applied 3 coats. Best looking guide finish I have seen to date. I never have used ProKote, but have used most others. I'll be sticking with Gen4.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-107.net)
Date: April 13, 2023 02:22PM

Daryl Ferguson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I only have experience with ProKote and Flex Coat
> Original High Build. If someone told me I had to
> make a choice between the two and could never use
> the other again, I'd probably stick with Flex
> Coat. However, I do wish it had just a few minutes
> longer pot life. I love the working time of
> ProKote, but it takes much longer to set up. I
> have some Gen 4 on order and would like to know
> from those of you that have used it where it falls
> in relation to ProKote and Flex Coat Original High
> Build.
>
> Thanks!

You cannot go wrong with Flex Coat. Been around since about the 70's I think and has a great company and people behind it if you ever need any assistance. I have seen a lot of miracle epoxies come and go over the last forty years but Flex Coat has been the standard against which all others are judged.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: April 13, 2023 05:00PM

Daryl

There is maybe a finish epoxy I've not used but I sort of doubt it.

Gen4 is more like ProKote than FlexCoat. At 72 degrees I'm finding it take 5.5 to 6 hours to be sag free. I turn it 8 to be safe. 10 hours gets you close to tack free. a 3 minute mix in a CRB mixer is all that is needed and there will be no bubbles. No need for heat, just let Gen4 do its thing. I tend to apply just a wee bit too much, rotate 180 degrees every 3 minutes, wick off any excess, and repeat for times. Then set the rod to turning and do something else for 5 to 6 hours minimum assuming the room is 72 degrees or warmer.

Date: April 13, 2023 07:45PM

I just finished my first rod using Gen4. I like it. Frankly, the only real significant difference I see that makes it stand out to me is how clear it is when it cures. It's a LOT clearer than ProKote or Flex Coat. I haven't had bubble issues with any of the three. Maybe, I mix longer than most. I don't know. Gen4 is the third epoxy I've tried. I still like ProKote the best in terms of working it. It's thin and I have an easier time with manipulating it. Perhaps, I, like Donald, apply a tad too much and that's why I have an easier time with the thinner ProKote. That said, I'll likely stay with Gen4 for now. The clarity on the wraps is absolutely stunning. It really made the wraps pop.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 13, 2023 08:59PM

I have used a lot of FlexCoat, some ProKote, and now using mostly Gen 4. Since I only work on one rod at a time and since I put the rod on the dryer and walk away, I see no differences in working time. If there is a difference I don't see it due to my method. On total cure time I don't see a significant difference between FlexCoat and Gen 4-both get pretty hard overnight. But ProKote may not be really set even overnight-it takes appreciably longer to set to where it won't easily be marked by touching it.

I have always thought that ProKote was very clear. I have a rod with white ramps covered in ProKote that is many years old and the ramps still look white. All three look perfectly clear initially, in my opinion. I don't have any rods with years of exposure with Gen 4 since it's relatively new to the market.

Date: April 13, 2023 09:59PM

Michael, I agree that ProKote is pretty darn clear. I did a rod for my wife with it and it's very clear. In comparing it to the Gen4, however, there's a marked difference. And, my wife's rod hasn't seen the light of day yet. She doesn't go fishing with me very often. I'm pretty new to building so I don't have any builds that are more than a few months old so I can't speak to the longevity of the any of the thread finishes I've used in terms of clarity lasting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster