I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MB735/6 HM VS MB736 X-RAY $$?? Applications?
Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2023 01:14AM

My buddy wants a new rod and I'm looking at these two blanks for him, I haven't found any CCS data on the MB735 in any carbon, and can only find MB736 in Xray... but looking at them got me wondering

If X-ray is the top tier blanks why does the HM MB736 cost more than the X-ray? When not on sale of course.

Is there a noticeable difference in quality or performance or anything? Weight doesn't change by much if at all on a number of Blanks and sometimes the HM is lighter than the Xray (like in this case)?!??

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2023 11:42PM by El Bolinger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MB736 HM VS MB736 X-RAY $$??
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2023 08:59AM

El, I certainly wouldn't try to apply logic to NFC's pricing. But if you want to, the pricing would seem to indicate that the HM blanks are more costly to manufacture. Or ..... they want to sell more X ray blanks.

As far as the weights of various blanks goes. I realize that NFC states that their "HM X ray is 20% lighter than our existing HM" but we all know how advertising can be. Just look at the thread currently running that is discussing the weight of the CO6 (or whatever it's called) blanks. There seems to be some questioning about their weights versus what has been said about how much lighter the material is than their other materials.

As far as a difference in quality between the HM and HM X ray blanks goes ...... I have yet to build on a HM blank, but I have built on X rays and IM blanks. There is zero difference in quality between those series of rod blanks. At least none that I can see, And as far as a difference in performance goes, I highly doubt if there is much difference between an X ray blank and an HM blank, when it comes to performance.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.repairbricks.com)
Date: April 01, 2023 10:58AM

I could be wrong, but I think NFC once mentioned that leaving the ridges on the X-ray saves a step in the manufacturing process and helps keep costs down compared to the HM blanks. But, the Black Mirror X-rays have come out sense then at the same price as regular X-rays, so I am not sure that reasoning holds up anymore.

Date: April 01, 2023 11:43AM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts fellas
@David I appreciate that you've used different tiers and offered that comparison- makes me feel a bit better about a past purchase with them I'm hoping to build soon.

Posted by: Ken Delbridge (192.55.54.---)
Date: April 01, 2023 05:03PM

Having built and fished the MB736 HM and X-ray as well as the MB735 HM, what does your friend want to do with the rod? Critical question before recommending any of those 3 blanks.

Date: April 01, 2023 07:19PM

Hey Ken, I actually grabbed the MB735HM for myself as one of my first blank purchases - was thinking a little bit of a do all rod - but mostly bottom contact lures 1/4-3/8+plastic. But now being a little more familiar with CCS - although only on paper as I haven't felt a rod that I know the CCS numbers for - if it is on the slower side of fast I'll be very excited and likely use it for that and spinnerbait and swim jig.

The MB736 was essentially going to perform the same task for him, but as a spinning set up for windy garbage days.

All in open-moderate cover depending on the season.

What would you recommend those blanks for? Here's a wrench for your system, MB705 SM - any thoughts on that too?

Do you have CCS data for the 735?

Please feel free to shoot me an email, I'd love to pick your brain about these blanks and others you've got experience with.

El

Date: April 01, 2023 09:37PM

Interestingly I was just looking a little deeper at the specs and I see the MB735 and 736 in HM have the same size Tip and butt, but the 736 weighs 0.3oz less and rated 1/4 oz heavier.

The 736 xray is rated the same as 735HM and has a tip size 1.7 while the other two are ~2.2mm

I think I'd really like to audit a class on blanks design to understand all this a little better.

*Edit to do math and convert 5.5/64 in to mm - thanks Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2023 10:34PM by El Bolinger.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: April 01, 2023 10:01PM

El
the 1.7 is mm and the 5.5 is 64ths.

Date: April 01, 2023 10:37PM

Thanks for pointing that out Matt, I knew something didn't look right but there were no units on the NFC website.

What are your thoughts on the 735 and 736 HM being the same measurements but the heavier rated one being lighter?

Or your thoughts on these blanks or comparing their materials?

Re: MB735/6 HM VS MB736 X-RAY $$?? Applications?
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 02, 2023 08:54AM

Just because tip and butt dimensions of a blank are the same, doesn't mean their tapers will be the same.

When I first started building I thought that blank tapers were linear. When I started using reel seats like the Alps MVT that are individually sized to fit a blank, I use tip and butt dimensions to calculate the amount of taper per inch of blank length so I could order the correct size reel seat for where I wanted the reel seat to land on the blank, and it worked ....... until it didn't.

When it didn't work, I checked to see why. That's when I discovered that taper wasn't linear. In some cases at various parts of the blank, there was a .003" difference in actual measurement, versus what my calculations indicated what it should have measured. In some other areas of the blank the difference was maybe .001'

.003" doesn't seem like much, but when your calculate that a blank should have a taper of .0059" per inch of blank length, a .003" difference is more than substantial, and most likely would make a difference in that part of the blank's load carrying capacity.

My guess is that the difference in lure weight rating is due to the blanks having different tapers. As far as the weight difference goes, I personally wouldn't be concerned. Differences in the weight could be attributed to many things. Resin content, differences in weight of the pre peg material, etc ...

It's kind of like when you hear the media making a big deal about how such n such a company made record profits. The percentage of profit is what counts. Not the actual dollar amount

Date: April 02, 2023 03:20PM

El, I would say the 735 HM would be great for a heavy finesse rig, centered around 10lb line. That's what I have mine geared for and it's very well suited for that. The 736 HM isn't that much heavier action than the 735, but you could use it as an all around 12-15lb bass rod (i.e. bladed baits, lighter TX rigs, lighter jigs). The 736 X-ray is about as sensitive as it gets, but also feels a little heavier than the 736 HM in-hand. I use my 736 X-ray for lighter bottom baits (TX rigs, jigs) on 12lb line, very nice rod.

I haven't built the MB705 SM but I have a MB705 HM that is actually a little beefier than the 735 HM and is put to use for finesse/light football jigs on 10-12lb line - very light & sensitive rod.

I don't have any CCS data, I've only fished with these blanks.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---)
Date: April 02, 2023 03:44PM

Awesome thanks for the low down on those rods, so sweet spots for the 735s is 1/8 bullet weight and worm or 1/4 oz jignplastic and the 736 1/4 bullet and 3/8 jig?

Would you say they're on the slower side of fast?

Here's another wrench if you would be so kind to indulge me - could you compare THE X-RAY MB764?

Date: April 02, 2023 05:01PM

1/8-1/4oz on the 735, 3/16-3/8oz on either of the 736's is probably about right.

They are on the moderate side of fast in my opinion.

Haven't built out the MB764 X-ray.

Date: April 02, 2023 05:08PM

Supremely helpful Ken, much appreciated.

Would you say there is a noticeable difference in feel/sensitivity/ quality between HM and X-ray? Or other blanks you would put on tier with x-ray and HM?

You just revamped my excitement for these builds man!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2023 05:23PM by El Bolinger.

Posted by: John Santos (---.110.244.66.dyn.smithville.net)
Date: April 02, 2023 10:55PM

I have fished with both X-rays & HM’s (including the MB705HM, MB709HM & MB706HM, and the MB736XRay, among many others). I don’t know if it’s just my luck, but I have broken over 7 HM’s on hook sets) and have not broken any X-Rays. I only get X-rays now. For what it’s worth, I use the MB736X-ray for a basic jig & worm rod.

Date: April 02, 2023 11:08PM

John Santos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have fished with both X-rays & HM’s (including
> the MB705HM, MB709HM & MB706HM, and the MB736XRay,
> among many others). I don’t know if it’s just
> my luck, but I have broken over 7 HM’s on hook
> sets) and have not broken any X-Rays. I only get
> X-rays now. For what it’s worth, I use the
> MB736X-ray for a basic jig & worm rod.

Wow, that's crazy! Now you got me rethinking things haha. But also if the IM are more durable than also good for a FLIP766 build I'll be doing.

By basic you mean 1/4-1/2 oz weight/jig plus plastic?

What are the x-rays you use and what do you use them for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2023 12:22AM by El Bolinger.

Posted by: John Santos (---.110.244.66.dyn.smithville.net)
Date: April 03, 2023 09:11AM

On the MB736 X-ray, I use it for up to 1/2 jigs + plastic = 3/4 oz total. My reels are good enough that I can actually cast below the 1/4oz rating (weightless Senko’s). I use the MB705’s & MB706’s similarly. The MB709 (HM) I used for big worms and big jogs, but that was one of the ones that broke that I haven’t bothered to replace. (All the others that broke were the MB705HM’s). The MB705 makes a good longer spinnerbait rod and and good ledge fishing spinnerbait rod as well. I use the MB684 as a topwater/jerkbait rod (very good at that). I have just started to use the SJ703 XRay last year for drop shotting (Great Lakes, so big smallmouth tested) and though it handled it well, I felt it was a little lacking in backbone. I just got back from a week long practice/tournament on Hartwell and used it for split shotting (Texas rigged) and it successfully caught a lot of fish, but I missed a few on hookset that have me still questioning its backbone (we’re only talking 3 or 4, but I’m particular, especially if the equipment is at fault). It will probably make a good Ned rig rod (with open hooks). I have built a couple of SB724’s hoping it might be a step above but my initial reaction is that it may be too stiff - it will, however, make a good all purpose spinning rod and a good shakey head rod. I use the MB7108 as a Carolina rig rod (I use 1oz sinkers).

I like NFC’s for bottom contact use, but also prefer the higher modulus ones for the lighter weight. Everything mentioned is all X-rays now. I have a few tournament friends I have built for that use it exactly as I do as well. I have only used one Delta and it was a 6-6 I got for spinnerbaits, but it’s deep in the corner now so I don’t even know the model number - just didn’t like it (works, but I have better rods). I only get X-rays now and inspect them carefully before building (sorry fans, but I have received some duds). When right, it is one of the most sensitive rods I have used (also among the lightest).

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: April 03, 2023 09:35AM

Good stuff John! I have the SB684 and find it alittle stiffer than expected. Sounds like the MB684 might be alittle softer action being ya like it for TW and jerks. How do the 4 power SB and MB xrays compare in power?

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2023 10:30AM

In general, blanks designed as SB (spin bass) will almost always be less powerful than MB (mag bass) blanks having the same power designation. For example, the MB684 will be more powerful than the SB684.
Norm

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---)
Date: April 03, 2023 10:53AM

I am surprised how similar these are with this tool. The MB 736 and SJ 736 are virtually clones with the SJ being a hair faster.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster