I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

12 weight fly blank?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 29, 2023 07:40PM

Any recommendations on a 12 weight fly blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 12 weight fly blank?
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2023 08:10PM

Just finished building a 9’ CTS Revo 12 wgt as a Tarpon fly rod for a friend. Picked up the blank at the expo. He is hoping to use it for big tarpon of greater than 90 lbs. He casts a lot better than I do and could easily cast all of his fly line with minimal effort. He was quite happy with the way it casted. Now he’s looking forward to catching a tarpon on it.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: March 29, 2023 09:50PM

NFC makes a very fine 12wt. Just finished one for a customer who loves it.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: March 29, 2023 09:55PM

Michael,
Is this for your son??
IMO - the CTS REVO Salt in a #10 would be enough for Tarpon. The CTS Affinity-X in a #12 would also be good.

The CTS FSA #10 - my design is also suitable.

I'm available for comparitive casting/fighting ability.
Herb

Date: March 30, 2023 07:29AM

Yes for son. He just landed a big tarpon on a friend's 10 and based on that experience he felt he needed significantly more rod, like a 12. He has a 9 wt Eternity !! which he feels is not nearly enough. Based on your and Norman's comments I'm interested in CTS, need to know more about the differences between the different models. I'm checking the web site now, but appreciate your familiarity and expertise with CTS.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2023 09:20AM

I had never built a fly rod for large tarpon before. So, when I was at the Expo I talked extensively with Stephen Pratt, CTS owner and rod designer, and he strongly recommended the 12 wgt Revo. He stated it was specifically designed for very large hard fighting saltwater fish, and was more powerful than the Affinity series.
My friend hooked some very large tarpon of over 100 pounds, and also felt he was severely under gunned with the high end 10 wgt he was using at the time, and then lusted for a 12 wgt. He stated he still sees those fish in his dreams.
Norm

Posted by: Rory Macomber (204.100.121.---)
Date: March 31, 2023 11:41AM

I'll throw in for CTS too. I have really enjoyed all of the ones I've built and fished. I like fishing glass, so I built up at Crystal Glass TT 1089. It's one heck of a rod, I can only imagine the 12wt would be killer as well.

Date: March 31, 2023 12:42PM

Thanks, but it is not likely to be glass. In a 12, if one is even made, it would be too heavy. I have the son and the CTS expert in contact. I'm leaning CTS, but I'm not the one who is going to use the rod.

Posted by: Rory Macomber (204.100.121.---)
Date: March 31, 2023 03:44PM

Ha they make a glass 14! Definitely would be a shoulder workout. Their carbon blanks are awesome too, I just haven't fished one of theirs above an 8 wt.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: March 31, 2023 07:25PM

Epic Boca Grande for some bright blue glass goodness. The blanks seem to go on sale regularly .

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 31, 2023 09:44PM

What are the tournament guys using? I never saw so many fly rods blown up at one time in one place before or since.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster