I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread color choice for new fly rod
Posted by: Stan Vogel (---)
Date: March 29, 2023 07:50AM

Grandson's 11th birthday next month. Through the Cub scouts he's started fly fishing (and tying!) and loves it. I've ordered an 8' 3 wt, color of slate. I've built 3 fly rods and all 3 have been slate, 2 I used Garnet and a little silver metallic trim piece. One I used black with non-metallic silver trim. All look fantastic. But, without asking him at this point I'm thinking out of the box. I will keep it simple.

The only thing I'm certain about is the stripper will be 32" from the reel. HaHa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread color choice for new fly rod
Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2023 08:30AM

Pick his favorite color and go from there. Black/slate blanks are like an empty canvas waiting to be painted on. The only wrong answer is the color which he dislikes.

For me, I’m partial to a dark green, sky blue, light brown and tan colored thread. I think the tan/brown kind of gives it an old world classic look

Date: March 29, 2023 08:38AM

Youi're correct, I can't go wrong. I just looked at my thread box again and I have quite a stash. Building grand dtrs rods and 3 other grand sons has broadened my color selection. The girls are much better at picking colors than am I.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 29, 2023 08:41AM

[www.google.com]

I would think that blue main wrap with yellow and red trim would be great for such a rod.

Best wishes

Date: March 29, 2023 08:44AM

Good point! I have built him a spinning rod in his school colors. Another reason I look for RodGeeks to bring back their color selections.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (107.119.41.---)
Date: March 29, 2023 11:02AM

Here’s a slate swim bait rod I built my nephew. The thread is ProWrap Colorfast #404

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2023 11:03AM by Daryl Ferguson.

Posted by: Terry Bain (---.fidnet.com)
Date: March 29, 2023 11:17AM

Stan,
Since he has been inspired by the Cub Scouts, use their colors as Roger suggested.

Date: March 29, 2023 06:20PM

It is a consideration.

Posted by: Travis W Thompson (163.116.133.---)
Date: March 30, 2023 11:19AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.google.com]
> out+uniform&oq=pictures+of+cub+scout+uniform&aqs=c
> hrome..69i57j0i22i30l3j0i390i650l4.5727j0j7&source
> id=chrome&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=pIsABW6oDmvFTM
>
> I would think that blue main wrap with yellow and
> red trim would be great for such a rod.
>
> Best wishes

Nailed it!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: March 30, 2023 08:14PM

Blue and yellow would also tie in with the Ukraine conflict. In the future that may be looked upon as a world changing event. Twenty years from now he might take pride in saying, "This is my glory to Ukraine rod my Dad made for me when I was eleven".

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: March 30, 2023 10:53PM

If your grandson is still active in scouting and enjoys it , then I think Roger Wilson had an excellent idea . Perhaps one of the sponsors on the left might even be able to come up with a custom decal related to scouting . When all is said and done though , who knows your grandson better than you - so go where your feelings lead .
Ron

Posted by: Gerald Ross (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2023 04:49AM

Stan
Only you can make that choice. It all depends on what your client likes and what your limitations are. Allow me to go out on a limb and say that I have not found two thread colors that looked bad when morphed together. I don't know if there is another name for it but it is where you start with color A, add color B, wrap A and B simultaneously for the next third , drop the A thread and finish with B thread.
Best of luck with your build

Date: March 31, 2023 12:15PM

I'm conservative and so is my family, these colors won't be overstated or gaudy at all. I don't overwhelm the rod with wraps, the more simple the more beautiful. Blue/yellow with red trim is getting a look but I also have another idea or two and will update when decided. Lots of options.

Ukraine? My only thoughts about that is the possibility of a future draft, which would involve my grand sons.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster