I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC SJ703 C6O2
Posted by: Rob Carey (---)
Date: March 28, 2023 02:18PM

Alex,

Looking at the SJ703 C6O2. It is listed at 1.4oz. The standard Xray SJ703 is listed at 1.3oz.

Can you clarify the weight difference? I thought the C602 would be lighter.

Thank you,

Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC SJ703 C6O2
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2023 02:21PM

Sanded vs not sanded.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 28, 2023 08:32PM

Norman, are you sure? Doesn't seem like sanded vs unsanded would make .1 oz difference, and are you sure that "standard" X ray is sanded? I thought it was not. I thought you had to order "mirror" to avoid the ridges and get sanded.

But with NFC, one never really knows what they are going to get. In my opinion.

Posted by: Dean Veltman (---)
Date: March 28, 2023 08:37PM

I emailed them to ask too, but have not heard anything.

The regular X-ray is listed as 1.5 oz. The black mirror as 1.3 oz. And the C2O6, as 1.4.

But, I looked at other regular vs black mirror weights and they did not vary from each other, so I suspect the listed weight for black mirror version of the SJ 703 is a mistake or an odd blank that was off.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2023 09:23PM

Who knows what the reasons are. I’ve weighed blanks from a number of different manufacturers and they can vary plus or minus a few tenths of an ounce from the advertised weight. Weight differences could be due to differences in resin vs fiber content of different prepreg lots, slight difference in cutting the flags, blank cutting differences, and/or even rounding errors. It’s logical that sanding the resin ridges off will lower the blank’s weight. How much I don’t know, maybe similar to painted versus unpainted blanks.
Norm

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2023 01:25AM

Rob,

The weight of the SJ703 Xray is ~ 1.54oz, (Link below) and as always remember that's a range of +/- 8% of both fiber and resin concentration.

The SJ 703 C6O2 is at about 1.35 oz

[northforkcomposites.com]

Can you point me to where you are seeing 1.3? I'll send a note to our team to check.

Best,
Alex

Rob Carey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alex,
>
> Looking at the SJ703 C6O2. It is listed at 1.4oz.
> The standard Xray SJ703 is listed at 1.3oz.
>
> Can you clarify the weight difference? I thought
> the C602 would be lighter.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Rob

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: April 04, 2023 02:02AM

[northforkcomposites.com]

The black mirror says 1.3oz. I never noticed it until this post, catalog said 1.5 which is what I got +/- and what I expected....yes we're splitting hairs lol.

Posted by: Anupap Tonusin (---.revip2.asianet.co.th)
Date: December 30, 2023 08:03AM

My SJ703 X-ray has lure weight at 1/4 - 3/4 oz but SJ703 C602 has lure weight at 1/8 - 3/4 oz while both of them are under 8-14 lb.

After one trip with new SJ703 C602 - I notice that C602 is stiffer, and the tip is not as extra fast as the previous one.

Posted by: John Santos (38.22.141.---)
Date: December 30, 2023 03:04PM

My last SJ703 X-ray (mirror finish) came in at 1.28oz. The SJ703 C6O2 I recently got also came in at 1.28oz. (It’s unsanded). They feel exactly the same to me, in hand, unbuilt. I know Aleks responded that the SJ703 is supposed to be 1.54 (website says 1.3oz.), but all my previous ones have also come in around 1.3 oz. (Maybe he meant the regular, non X-ray SJ703?)

SB724’s and SB722’s have come in at 1.6oz. for me, exactly as advertised. The biggest disappointment to me was the SJ732 (X-ray). It came in at 2.14oz. Weights were unplublished, but I took a chance anyway… I won’t even be building that one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster