I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CRB Rod Dryer work around needed
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: March 27, 2023 07:33PM

I have the CRB Rod Drier. I use it for applying and then drying of thread epoxy. A rod I need to finish has a fighting butt already attached, and the size of the butt is too wide for the rubber hole on the CRB dryer. I don't want to cut the hole larger, so does anyone have an idea on jerrry-rigging a n adapter to hold the rod butt?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRB Rod Dryer work around needed
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2023 07:54PM

[mudhole.com]

That might fit your model, phone call to Mudhole would confirm.

I have 3 jaw chuck dryers, I made the mistake of putting a build with a fighting butt in one, left jaw marks on the butt, they sanded out and it was my rod, but after that, a fighting butt is the last thing I install on a rod. Leaving that section of blank exposed allows for good contact with the dryer jaws.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: March 27, 2023 08:11PM

I have the same dryer(s). Use two rubber bands (I like #64 size) and form an X pattern over the rubber chuck. Easy, effective and cheap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2023 08:14PM by Daryl Ferguson.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 27, 2023 11:41PM

A couple of thoughts.
If you have a rear grip, or butt cap that may be marked with chuck jaws, there is a very simple solution to the issue.

Before putting the grip or butt cap in the dryer, simply take one, two or three #64 rubber bands and wrap it/them around the butt or butt cap of the rod. Then, when you put the rod in the chuck you are simply tightening the jaws on the rubber bands and not the actual grip. Due to the nature of the rubber bands, you also do not need to have a very tight grip with the chuck jaws to insure a non slip operation.

Or, you can simply take a roll of masking tape and put about about 4 layers of masking tape over the butt cap or butt of the rod. However, to avoid having grip damage caused by the tape, either put the first couple of layers on backwards, to avoid having any sticky tape, pull parts of the grip out when the tape is removed.

--------------------------------
Note, If you use the method listed by Daryl, you may want to remove the rubber end of the chuck so that you are simply left with a dish shaped chuck to insert the rod butt. Then, use the multiple rubber bands to hold the rod secure.
Or, you can take a couple piece of one or more different sizes of rubber hose so that one of the hoses fit nicely into the chuck cup, and if necessary another hose inside the first one, to hold the rod secure.

I nice way to go with this style dryer, is to use a flex coat chuck, and then purchase multiple chuck faces that may be exchanged to accommodate different sizes of grips.

Best wishes

Date: March 28, 2023 07:59AM

Roger, I have two of the same dryers as the OP. The issue is the butt cap won’t fit in the hole in the rubber part of the dryer. On new builds, the butt cap is the last thing I do to complete the rod. Problem solved. Repairs on old rods are a different matter, however.I’ve used the X pattern with a couple of #64 rubber bands a few times now with no issues. Easy and no mods to the dryer are necessary.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 28, 2023 08:38AM

You could also pick up a different chuck, such as this one to take care of your issue:

[mudhole.com]

Date: March 28, 2023 09:29AM

Yeah, I’ve seen that before. Rubber bands are cheap and effective. :)

Posted by: Joe Henary (50.239.220.---)
Date: March 30, 2023 08:40AM

I recently ran into this same issue. A wad of masking tape did the trick for me.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: March 30, 2023 09:39AM

I cut an X in mine… the rubber bands are a great idea!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: March 31, 2023 08:45PM

[mudhole.com] Good idea Bill. Lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2023 08:49PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: March 31, 2023 10:59PM

Thanks for the tips. I wound up having a wide rubber gasket that fit snugly around the fighting butt and I slid 4 flexible pieces of clear plastic under the gasket and bent them together and pushed them in to the hole of the dryer. it worked, but I like the rubber band method for next time.

Date: March 31, 2023 11:33PM

David, you'll LOVE the simplicity of the rubber band method. I looked at the wire adapter at mudhole, but the rubber bands are just as easy and effective, and I can buy a BUNCH of rubber bands, and I think a pack of 100 was like $5.00.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster