I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Your Ideal Workbench?
Posted by: Kevin B Wright (167.21.43.---)
Date: March 15, 2023 01:34PM

Hello Members!

About a year ago, I posted about finishing my basement in which I was able to add an "office" to the plan. This would primarily serve as a rob building/hobby room. I'm at the point now where once I get trim pieces on the walls, I can start the rod-building-focused additions! Mainly, the bench and storage. To those that gave me advice, I've got 50% more lights in the ceiling and additional counter height outlets added along the very light almost white, grey wall! Thank you for those ideas!

Funds may be limited, but inspiration is not! The room is closer to a hallway, but I got almost 14 feet of open wall space (maybe five feet of depth as the door in and through cut off the rest) for my 12-foot Alps wrapper, so I'm looking for some inspiration. If you have any workbench building tips, I would also love to hear those :). I'm currently trying to work the bench (pun intended!) so it's completely open on the front for ease of travel up and down the rod. I'll also have to be creative as the area around / above and if necessary, below, my bench will be my primary storage.

The ask:

What's your real OR ideal rod-building bench? Length, width, height, material, structure? Do you store items on, under, around, or above? Planned upgrades? Got pictures you want to share? I'd love to see them or your pictures of your shop/area!

As always I appreciate the knowledge shared here!

Tight Lines and Clean Wraps!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Your Ideal Workbench?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2023 02:18PM

Self contained, mobile, with foot board, dust collection, benchtop power tools and both blank, component and thread storage underneath (blanks are between the top table tops). We did a series on this bench construction and its features in RodMaker during the early 2000's.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: March 15, 2023 02:28PM

@Tom, that's awesome, thank you!

Posted by: Bob Foster (205.234.62.---)
Date: March 15, 2023 04:03PM

Omg a little at Tom's bench...very nice.

This little studio space is approaching 1 year old.

I'm happy to have it and it's more or less my happy place.

I use two rolling heavy drawers I salvaged from my work place when we did some renos and if I had to do it again I would build such drawers because basically they are awesome

I am waiting on the flex coat 4 rod dryer to mount above the bench in an area I've left clear for that eventuality

Good luck with your space

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2023 04:12PM by Bob Foster.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 15, 2023 04:34PM

I don't have pictures, but here is basically what I did. I bought a long section of molded kitchen counter top with one edge (front) rounded and having a slight raise to stop round things from rolling off onto the floor. Since the surface is very hard, it is very easy to clean and prying up a dropped bit of epoxy. I built a frame work that had recesses in for storage boxes. I set the counter top on this base. on another wall I built a floor to ceiling frame work for more storage boxes. For light I use dual tube florescence bulbs, suspended from ceiling to get closer to work. Don't buy just any bulbs, I use "High Temp" bulbs and I don't mean heat, I mean brightness 60K. Later switched to the new skinny instant on bulbs. Requires a different ballast from old type. This helped me see colors better when working on weaves.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: March 15, 2023 07:19PM

Depends a lot on what you build. If you build 3-4 piece fly rods a shorter bench is fine. If you build 7’6”+ one piece and you plan to use a power wrapper then you want some room - at least 9’ to accommodate a power wrapper.

I have a 12’ bench made from an 8 and 12’ section of butcher block and mounted on L shaped braces so there are no table legs in the way. Set for standing height but I have a barstool height chair I do sit in much of the time

Here is a little video of the bench and drying cabinet

[youtu.be]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2023 07:21PM by Michael Ward.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: March 15, 2023 08:31PM

Kevin,
My “ideal” workbench would involve a larger shop lol! If you have the available space, Michael has some nice ideas (and fabrication skills as well). Just remember that one cannot have too much light or too many power outlets.
Michael,
Very clean, efficient and well executed workstation = good job. With your apparent fabrication abilities, allow me to suggest that you build a dust-proof / UV-proof cover for your thread.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: March 15, 2023 10:22PM

Light is a very important component.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 15, 2023 11:33PM

> Michael,
> Very clean, efficient and well executed
> workstation = good job. With your apparent
> fabrication abilities, allow me to suggest that
> you build a dust-proof / UV-proof cover for your
> thread.

Oh that was just a short term landing place…. Thread is all stored out of the light in Plano boxes inside of metal cabinet drawers that I’ve added to the setup since…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2023 12:36PM by Michael Ward.

Date: March 16, 2023 08:41AM

Bob Foster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Omg a little at Tom's bench...very nice.
>
> This little studio space is approaching 1 year
> old.
>
> I'm happy to have it and it's more or less my
> happy place.

@ Bob, thank you! Those photos are great, really appreciate the share and knowledge! Will be using some of those ideas for sure!

Date: March 16, 2023 08:42AM

@Kerry, Thank you!

Date: March 16, 2023 08:43AM

#Michael, that video is amazing! And your bench set up is awesome! Thank you for the share. I do build longer surf rods and other longer one piece rods a lot of the time. Really appreciate it!

Date: March 16, 2023 08:44AM

@Mark, I would love a larger space as well lol. Thank you!

Date: March 16, 2023 08:44AM

@Kendal, no doubt! I've got a ton of overhead light, but I'll be adding at least two hobby lights as well.

Posted by: Jim Berry (---)
Date: March 17, 2023 04:48PM

Long wall to start good height on the bench office chair may determine bench height or just stand type work area tall ceiling NO CEILING fan good lighting with no shadows outlets within easy reach and a wall switch for room light to enter and leaving the area without tripping it seems like you start the room in your head and then you start to build it and the changes start to improve function of the area

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2023 08:39AM

Michael, that is impressive, to say the least. If you're like me, you've already beaten yourself up over the needing to modify the top row of the drying box, but man ..... that is a seriously nice set up, And beautifully built.

Bob, yours is a sweet looking as well.

And Tom's is a nice set up as well.

Nice stuff guys !!!

Posted by: Bob Foster (207.189.245.---)
Date: March 19, 2023 11:26AM

Michael.’s setup is next level stuff. That track system would suit my setup very well; I tend to slide my wrapper about depending on what I’m doing and the rail setup would be perfect. I’ve come to the conclusion you cannot have too much slat wall and I wish I had covered a much larger area. The rod dryer....
Ugh...stand up bench. Just all very nice.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: March 19, 2023 12:17PM

I'm envious! You guys have some great workshops. They would be way overkill for me. That said, I'm currently looking to upgrade my setup. My current setup is the dining room table. We might use the thing twice a year for it's intended purpose. It works okay for me as the only power I need is for the dryer. But, it's not long enough so I have to work around that. My ideal work bench would be the mobile bench Tom linked. I would LOVE to have that setup sans the power gadgets. I would just want the bench with the track. I'm hoping to have something similar to that soon.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 19, 2023 02:48PM

Hello Daryl.

The bench that Tom alluded to was featured in 3 articles in RodMaker Magazine.

10/5 Shop; Mobile Rod Building Workshop I of III. 10
10/6 Shop; Mobile Rod Building Workshop II of III. 22
11/1 Shop; Mobile Rod Building Workshop III of III. 22

There is a lot of info there.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: March 19, 2023 03:11PM

Thanks Bob!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster