I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best size fighting butt for an 8 wt?
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: February 25, 2023 09:21PM

Going to build an 8 weight 9 foot NFC LMX fly rod with fighting butt. I have never built a rod with fighting butt before. What do folks think is the best or right length fighting butt for an 8 weight fly rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best size fighting butt for an 8 wt?
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2023 09:54PM

Pretty subjective, you will probably get several recommendations. Your best option, visit a fly shop, take a small ruler with you (measure length and diameters) and see which brand seems to fit you.
Most FB’s are around 1” to 2” long. Diameters of the end seem to be all over the map. I personally don’t like them when they are like a clown nose, but others like that extra bit of “meat” on the end for comfort.
Some like EVA ends, some like the rubberized cork ends, from a durability standpoint, I think the EVA ends will hold up better.

If you have a lathe, it’s also possible for you to make your own or turn down a vendor purchased one.

Changing out a FB after the rod is completed is not a big deal either, purchase several sizes and before you glue everything up, mock up the build and see what suits you.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.197.193.---)
Date: February 25, 2023 11:01PM

Bill Hickey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty subjective, you will probably get several
> recommendations. Your best option, visit a fly
> shop, take a small ruler with you (measure length
> and diameters) and see which brand seems to fit
> you.
> Most FB’s are around 1” to 2” long.
> Diameters of the end seem to be all over the map.
> I personally don’t like them when they are like
> a clown nose, but others like that extra bit of
> “meat” on the end for comfort.
> Some like EVA ends, some like the rubberized cork
> ends, from a durability standpoint, I think the
> EVA ends will hold up better.
>
> If you have a lathe, it’s also possible for you
> to make your own or turn down a vendor purchased
> one.
>
> Changing out a FB after the rod is completed is
> not a big deal either, purchase several sizes and
> before you glue everything up, mock up the build
> and see what suits you.

YES.
Herb

Date: February 25, 2023 11:14PM

Thanks.

I did look at a lot of rods at the Denver FF show and most 7 or 8 wts seemed to have about a 1" fighting butt, some a bit shorter, others at most 1 1/4" to 1 1/2." Seemed no real standard of rhyme or reason. I guess I'll test fit a few.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 26, 2023 01:03PM

Butt length 1.5" to 2" with the largest diameter not much over or right at the largest grip diameter. It will look more proportional if you stay within that parameter. I usually use natural cork so the butt is natural cork and burl cork at the very end. To me rubberized cork is too heavy but really it won't hurt and may help balance the rod.

Posted by: Philip Bogardus (---.247.3.202.ll.sta.mana.pf)
Date: February 27, 2023 02:42AM

Flex Coat has a template you can download. For an 8 wt I am about 1.5” long. Might be a little longer if I make some fancy thin rings of cork.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: February 27, 2023 07:35AM

Most of the requests I get for that size are from 1.25 to 1.75

Ron Weber

Date: February 28, 2023 11:57AM

Thanks all for great feedback. I am going with a 7" full wells grip with composite cork accent fore and aft, Pac-Bay channel lock titanium reel seat with the two locking nuts, Recoil double foot snake guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster