I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Guy, new build
Posted by: John J Gilchrist (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2023 10:02AM

Hey. I read many of these posts back for several years and still have some questions. I have wrapped up several rods in the past so I thought this would be easier. My goal is to have a really nice finished product without spending $1,000 for a new factory built rod. I ordered a NFC 9' 7 wt that I will use in salt water. My first question is reel seats, they vary in cost from $12 to $60 and more. I would like to have a small permanent fighting butt and I want an attractive well functioning seat. Can I just pick one from one of the sponsors and hope for the best? Maybe a complete grip/reel seat package? My other question is guides. I like the idea of the single foot titanium recoil guides, what is the proper size/sizes? I would tend towards slightly larger diameters but I have no idea what the size numbers mean. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Guy, new build
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (94.140.11.---)
Date: February 24, 2023 10:40AM

John,
What will your fishery be???
#7 for many saltwater fisheries is a little light.

I favor the REC Component products.
One stop shopping.
REC Recoil Cerecoil #16 Stripper then a #12 Cerecoil. Ten a #4 REC Recoil S/F guide. The rest 7 #3 S/F Recoils.
like the RSLL reel seat because - IMO - it holds the reel foot better.
They will supply you with the grip to fit the RSLL seat hood.
Fighting butts are also available in many configrurations.
Regards,
Herb

Posted by: John J Gilchrist (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2023 10:49AM

Thanks Herb. I want this mostly for smallmouth bass but it would also see action with school stripers, maybe bonefish. I have another question: do I need two stripping guides? I seem to recall that the second one was to accommodate especially aggressive casting styles, if you needed a bigger haul you could skip the first guide when stringing up. Is there another reason?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (94.140.11.---)
Date: February 24, 2023 10:59AM

John,
There is only one stripper on any rod - that is the bottom most guide.
Some very good builders/fishermen do not use a second ceramic (ringed) guide. I use two and lately 3.
It's really personal preference.
No - NEVER skip a guide when lineing the rod.

Re Stripers and Bonefish. Wind will be your enemy - especially on the Bonefish flats.
That being said - Chico Fernandez uses my custom #6 for Bones - but when there is no wind.
Herb

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2023 04:40PM

John,
I pretty much wrote the exact same thing as Herb before it got erased this morning (my fault). I would do a 16 cerecoil and a 10 cerecoil then the rest exactly as Herb says. I also like a Fuji KW 16 and 10. I will not ever use single foot snakes again because they just do not work as well as the double foot snake. If you use single foot add two more to your running train. Better yet dump the single foot snakes and use ceramic ringed guides, if that is the direction you are going. Go with L 7s 12 guides total on a 9' rod otherwise it will be 10 guides total with the double foot snakes. To keep it light, just go with 8 double foot snakes a stripper and a following guide. Alps, Seaguide, Strubble, REC and American Tackle all make nice reel seats. The one I currently use on my personal fly rods 5wt to 10wt is the Alps HERA7WL2. It is very light and looks good too. Let us know what you decide.
Lance

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 24, 2023 05:23PM

As a relative noob myself, I have a question. John is favoring single foot guides. Is that a good idea on that large of a rod? I'm building my nephew a 7', large swimbait rod (2-6oz lure rating) and I'm going double foot on all of the guides and even the tip top has a foot. I'm just curious if John should go double foot, or am I just going overkill.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.251.---)
Date: February 25, 2023 06:44AM

No need for double foot guides on the fly rod,. if that is the question. Weight slows recovery speed...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster