I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I have what's proving to be a difficult rod build idea
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 20, 2023 08:49PM

I need a big swimbait / glide bait rod. Here are the parameters I'd like to stay within:

Blank:

- 6'6" to 7'
- Heavy or X-heavy power
- Fast Action
- Lure rating up to at least 3 oz, preferably up 5 oz

Components:

- 9" full rear cork
- 2" fore grip
- Fuji K Frame guides (alconite inserts)
- I *think* a 16 mm reel seat (the reel is a Shimano Cardiff 200A)

And, I'd like to keep my total build budget to no more than $300.

There's no shortage of blanks that meet all of the criteria except for the length. That's proving to be a challenge. I searched all through Mudhole's website and didn't come up with anything. Anyone have any ideas, or am I looking for a unicorn?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I have what's proving to be a difficult rod build idea
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 20, 2023 11:43PM

I personally think a 16mm reel seat for a big swim bait rod is too small. If you have very small hands it may be OK.

If you find a long blank you like you can always make it shorter by cutting off the butt.

I Like a carbon fiber fore grip and a cork rear grip.

Fuji Alconite guides are fine. But no matter what guides you choose I would use a Fuji Sic tip..

A 9 inch rear grip is a tad too long for me.

These are my preferences and food for thought for you.

Have fun

John

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 21, 2023 06:28AM

If the reel is a Cardiff then this is a bait-casting rod, right? The reel seat size will likely be driven by the diameter of the blank, which in this case will probably require a size 17. The grip sizes on 16 and 17 casting seats I believe are the same, only the bore diameter is different. I recommend a Fuji ACSM sized to fit the blank. I doubt if a seat with a bushing will accommodate a blank that fits these requirements.

The grip length should be determined by the ergonomics of the intended use of the rod, most llkely two-handed casting. 9 inches might be about right depending on the fisherman and his technique.

I would not be reluctant to do as Chris suggests and cut a blank to get the length and power needed.

Date: February 21, 2023 06:37AM

If you do a sort of Kevin Fiant's spreadsheet for IP's above 625 and lengths between 78 and 84 inches you'll find a lot of blanks that might fit the length and power requirements. There surely are two or three with enough power. If you open the length range up to 90 inches, there probably are more.

This is a great example of the value of utilizing CCS numbers before one buys.

Date: February 21, 2023 08:00AM

The length is the hangup. There are lots of options if I go to 90”, but that’s not practical for the intended use.

Date: February 21, 2023 09:05AM

Then cut off from the butt. Get the blank you think is going to be right when cut off , and then check its power and action simulating that by placement of the CCS supports and/or the reel seat. By doing it this way you pretty well know before damaging the blank how it's going to work out.

Date: February 21, 2023 09:19AM

If I can’t find one that’ll work without mods, I’ll go that route. Fenwick makes a rod that’s pretty much what I want. It’s their Elite Inshore casting rod. It’s a 7’0 heavy power, fast action and rated for 3/4 - 3 oz lures. Meets all the criteria and it’s only $170. I just want to build my own if I can.

Posted by: Joel Wick (209.215.133.---)
Date: February 21, 2023 09:42AM

Having built hundreds, and used dozens, of musky rods built to cast 3-5 oz lures, a couple thing come to mind.

Foremost, 9” is much too short for a rear grip. I consider 12 3/4” is an absolute minimum.

You just won’t have the leverage to cast large baits with a 9” rear grip. I’d go longer than 13” to even the 15” range, if the reel is to be palmed when working lures, instead of being held by the fore grip.

Right now, the Point Blank PB 761XXHMF or the PB 761XXHF are two of my favorites. They’re 7’6”, but could be shortened. Better yet, keep them at 7’6”, and move the reel seat 6” forward from your original intended position.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2023 01:14PM by Joel Wick.

Date: February 21, 2023 11:37AM

Thanks Joel! I’ll take that under consideration. I wasn’t sure if I needed that long of a grip with a 7’0 rod, but am certainly open to the idea. I’ll check out those blanks too.

Date: February 21, 2023 12:45PM

Good advice, in my opinion from Joel. I'm sure most casting will be done with two hands, so longer on the grip is likely better. Point Blanks are wonderful blanks, well worth the money.

Posted by: Joel Wick (---.norlight.net)
Date: February 21, 2023 01:10PM

Musky fishermen have taken to using long rods in the past several years, 9, 9 1/2, even 10 feet. Most are made intending to palm the reel instead of holding at the fore grip, and use long rear grips; some 17”-18”.

I find that 17” is too long for me, because I reel right handed, and switch hands after or during a cast. A long rear grip gets in the way when switching hands. Many simply cast left/reel right handed, or cast right/reel left handed, so the length of the rear grip makes less of a difference, and adds leverage to cast huge lures.

The numbers I use for my own musky rods of any length are 13-13 1/4” rear grip for rods to be held by the fore grip, and 14 1/2” to 15” for rods where the reel is palmed. When building a musky rod for a customer, I always consider the length of the grip to their forearm, too; usually placing the butt just past the elbow, as they hold the rod as they do when fishing.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 21, 2023 03:15PM

I was just looking at the Point Blanks for this build and Joel is correct for what you want. You may also want to look at the North Fork Composites X-Ray line. Very similar. Depending on where you are going to place your seat, you most likely will need to go with a 17 size reel seat with that type of blank with a large butt and taper. There really isn't that much difference in diameter between a 16 & 17. Tell us what you decide. Good Luck!

Date: February 21, 2023 04:06PM

Yes, I really wasn’t sure about the correct reel seat size, but if 17 is what I should go with, then that’s what I’ll do. I have a $300 max budget for the build (I’m building it for my nephew). I’m starting to get on board with cutting a blank down. I’m not sure I can stay in that range with the Point Blank offerings, but we’ll see.

Date: February 21, 2023 05:33PM

Go with Point Blank. You only go around once. And with Point Blank you know exactly what you are going to get for power and action. No more crap shoot.

Posted by: Joel Wick (191.96.80.---)
Date: February 21, 2023 06:52PM

Out of curiosity, why the desire for a 7-footer, and no longer?

Posted by: Peter Yawn (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 21, 2023 07:05PM

Rods Geeks C2 7 foot XH. And something like 11 or 12 inches for the rear cork.

Date: February 21, 2023 07:14PM

Joel Wick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Out of curiosity, why the desire for a 7-footer,
> and no longer?

I didn't ask, but my nephew fishes out of a Kayak. I assume he's concerned about space.

Date: February 21, 2023 08:10PM

Thank you Peter! I'll check that blank out.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 21, 2023 10:43PM

It’s been more than a decade since I’ve paid close attention to Muskie rods. Your parameters were very common to these for many years.. They have gotten longer, but it’s still a segment I would search. Species and technique specific blanks are very nice, but by no means exclusive to how they are labeled. If you need to cut a few inches off the butt of a Muskie rod it will be just a lit slower which should be fine or better for glidebaits.

United Composites makes a wide assortment of blanks in your stated range. Their US70HP nails everyone of your parameters. I’ve landed halibut, skates, and salmon sharks greatly exceeding the design intentions of a rod in this same series. Alaska’s herring economy has diverse participants. I am happy with UC’s quality control. Be sure you have the parameters you really want because these well-designed, quality built American blanks are priced like well-designed, quality built American blanks. Still, the extra cost for the blank is about 25%, which reduces to less than half this ratio for the fully built rod.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lf.br.cox.net)
Date: February 22, 2023 09:44PM

A fast action blank is not a good choice for a large swimbait rod. Mod Fast is a much better choice for a reaction strike type lure.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster