I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I have what's proving to be a difficult rod build idea
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 22, 2023 10:36PM

Lance Dupre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A fast action blank is not a good choice for a
> large swimbait rod. Mod Fast is a much better
> choice for a reaction strike type lure.

As I said before, these are not my specs. I don't use these kinds of rods. These are my nephew's. I had him on the phone today to finalize the build sheet. He's pretty stuck on his specs. I did get some leeway on the guides, and I talked him into a longer rear grip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 22, 2023 11:19PM

Update: The build sheet is complete. I offered up all of the blank options I have found, or have been suggested by you guys and other anglers I know that use this fishing technique. Keep in mind, my nephew, due to his budget, had some decisions to make on the build, particularly, the blank. But, here's what he settled on:

Blank: Rod Geeks C270XHF as was suggested by one of the members here. Apparently, they use St. Croix material? Anyway, he's a fan of that so...
Guides: CRB LZR double foot
Tip Top: CRB LZR
Reel Seat: CRB Graphite 17 mm
Grips: 11" rear & 2" fore cork (he originally wanted 9")

One note on Rod Geeks: I didn't care for their guide size chart for this blank. It called for 12-10-8-6-6-6-6. I don't care about the size so much, but I couldn't find a size 6 tip top in 7.5 mm. I went to size 8 so I could go size 8 on the tip top. Did have to go 8mm instead of 7.5, but I can deal with that with glue. Plus, the tip top has a foot so I can wrap it for extra strength. I also opted for a different guide layout: 12-10-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8. I also went double foot on all of the guides.

Anyway, Hopefully he'll be happy with it. He said it's only going to get used a couple of weeks out of the year. If he doesn't like it, he can always use it as a snake beater. lol

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 22, 2023 11:58PM

It seems like a good build. I’d probably shrink back to a 10” rear grip and go with a 4-5” fore grip for a kayak rod, though. I’m not sure if the posters here realized it was for kayak use. What you want on the shore or a powerboat is different than a kayak.

Date: February 23, 2023 12:20AM

Thanks Kendall! I'll mention the grip idea to him. I could easily turn that rear grip into a 10" and make the 2 into a 3". To get 4-5" on the fore, I'd have to just buy one. I'm not at a point, yet, where I have spare materials laying around.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 23, 2023 12:55AM

My favorite part of rod building is the capability to match a rod to a very specific need. This example is very interesting as your nephew has a legitimate desire to use a bait on a platform not well designed for it. It’s doable, and he is choosing wisely to get a rod built around his purpose.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster