I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: spiral wrap spinning rod
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 19, 2023 08:17PM

And it’s not even April 1st yet!!! But, lo and behold, there it was on that website.
Tom, don’t be worried about not being polite; “idiocy” is way too kind; but there should be a “t” between the “o” and “c” to leave no doubt!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 19, 2023 08:54PM

Maybe that should have been “idiot, see!” But what do we all know; after seeing and testing Tom’s “Oddball” reduction train, all of my bets have been withdrawn.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2023 10:27PM

Ronald Atchley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> El Bolinger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > YALL DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING
> >
> ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> >
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> >
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > The Shamino Poison Adrena is 140% more
> sensitive,
> > this rod can definitely load better, cast
> better,
> > and jig
> > I mean the Poison Adrena must be 140% more
> > sensitive than a stick, I'm certain this rod
> can
> > do all those things better than a 7 foot long
> > cooked noodle!
>
> El ,
> I believe Shimano's Poison Adrena spinning rod
> still has all the guides along the bottom of the
> blank . Maybe their "Spiral X" blank construction
> (referring to the blank material) is what you're
> describing ?? I've never had the good fortune to
> hold one of their casting rods but I'm not sure
> they are sprial wrapped either ??
> Ron

@RON - that's my new running joke when talking about rods or blanks. Shimano makes the following claim "the Shimano Poison Adrena Casting Rods create uninterrupted connection between bait and angler with increased sensitivity up to 140%..." see for yourself - [www.tacklewarehouse.com]

My point is this - the Poison Adrena is 140% more sensitive than what? What testing was done to produce these results? Is that testing reliable, repeatable, and unbiased? Does the average consumer shopping for the "best most sensitive rod" care to ask these questions or just take them at their word? It's dubious marketing, but nothing against Shimano - all your favorite tackle companies do this. It's legal and unequivocally generates greater profit for companies.

So I was joking saying this bafoon's spiral spinning rod is marketed just like the Shimano's Poison Adrena- @#$%& claims with no backing. But there's plenty of people who don't know to question everything and doubt most marketing claims, so it sells!

Medicine, tvs, phones, cars etc. Etc. Etc. All do the same thing, graphs that aren't to scale, product "b" comparisons without knowing what product "b" is, "we tested and proved.. " etc. Etc. Etc. All marketing schemes that still work.

I'm sure this upside backwards inside out spinning rod casts and jigs better (just as it claims) if they're comparing it to using a jump rope as a rod - they're telling the truth just like Shimano. But so was Clinton and Nixon...

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 20, 2023 08:30AM

I think someone who mentioned that the spiral wrap probably refers to the blank construction is probably right. It's about the blank and not the guides?

Posted by: Joel Wick (---.norlight.net)
Date: February 20, 2023 08:31AM

Should we all throw in ten bucks in a pool to see who can get a famous tournament fisherman to use one and tout its advantages?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 20, 2023 09:48AM

Well the winner will be the famous fisherman who will take the pot by extolling the non existent advantages of such a construction.

The complete idea is just simply nonsense and is not worthy of even a single word of consideration.

Next subject please.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: February 20, 2023 11:12AM

Hard to say what their angle is. They are in the tackle business and should know what the purpose of a spiral wrap is and if so then they would know how stupid it is to do this on a spinning rod. And if they do know it and are just trying to sell rods based on the idea that fishermen will not know how stupid it is then they are obviously willing to make a buck off anybody. But I would bet you that they do not understand what a spiral wrap is intended to do and think they are on the cutting edge by putting it on a spinning rod. There was a rod builder maybe two decades ago that use to tout the spiral wrap as making the rod more sensitive and he really believed that it did.

Date: February 20, 2023 12:12PM

To be fair @MIKE a significant percentage of people believe that weight is a deterrent to sensitivity- spiral wrapped rods often have less guides than conventional wrapped rods ergo, by a technical standpoint, would be more sensitive. You only know of one builder who said that 20 years ago? I've seen it on this board in the past 5 months.

But yes that spiral spinning rod is either a typical tackle marketing ploy, or absolute stupidity at its finest haha.

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 21, 2023 07:59PM

If I'm going to fish a spinning rod upside down and reel backwards, I'd really rather just reel my age backwards:-).

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: February 22, 2023 06:21AM

I much prefer building a rifling wrapped spinning rod..spiral your guides around the blank at least 3 times for proper twist rate. 24 guides on a 7' blank should do. It will get that line spinning to stabilize during flight. Advertise as having 140% more casting distance......throw in a zig zag guide layout towards the tip and your good to go. Can use casting or spinning reels with this set up. I.mean it makes as much sense as a spiraled spinning rod lol

Date: February 23, 2023 12:36AM

@Matt, you should work for a tackle company- these are game changing industry shaking ideas

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: February 23, 2023 09:41AM

@El....HAHA.... yeah I wish...I'd take a job at ugly stick at this point LOL. well maybe not!!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster