I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
spiral wrap spinning rod
Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: February 19, 2023 11:12AM

I was at a fishing show and 1 vendor had a spiral wrap spinning rod has anyone ever build one and what would the benefit be ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrap spinning rod
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2023 11:20AM

My guess would be it’s a joke, and not at all serious thing. There is absolutely no reason to spiral wrap a spinning rod, since guides beneath the blank are already in their most stable position.
Norm

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: February 19, 2023 11:20AM

I have to say...I saw one once.
The rational was to get the line closer to the blank.
The man swore up and down that it was more sensitive.
...not gonna say who it was...we all know how passionate some builders are about their theories.

Date: February 19, 2023 11:54AM

I just found it on there web page and it say it loads better, cast better, and jigs better

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2023 12:12PM

Since a spinning rod already has the guides on the bottom of the rod, how did this rod spiral the guides? To the top? If so, that negates the reason you would use a spiral wrap in the first place - to eliminate torque and twisting.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 19, 2023 01:11PM

There was a picture of George Bush Sr fishing in Port Aransas, holding a spinning rod & reel upside down. Maybe it was custom made for him. LOL

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 19, 2023 01:34PM

You can put the guides as close to the blank as you and your guide selection will allow either way, I don't see the logic.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 19, 2023 01:41PM

Actually, there is one case for the spiral wrap.

This is the case, if one calls using a spin casting reel - and rod a spinning reel.

If that is the case, then since the reel is mounted on top of the rod and one normally uses a casting type rod with this reel, one could say that a spin casting (spinning?) set up would benefit from the use of a spiral wrap.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: February 19, 2023 03:04PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can put the guides as close to the blank as
> you and your guide selection will allow either
> way, I don't see the logic.

Line laying in a guide will be on the bottom of the guide.
It will be closer to the blank with the guides on top.

Anyway...that was the thinking.

Date: February 19, 2023 04:28PM

The further the line is from the blank, the greater the lever arm effect. This only makes the stability of having the guides on the bottom that much greater.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 19, 2023 05:02PM

This is ridiculous.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 19, 2023 05:16PM

Recently, my nephew sent me a picture of his new Fenwick “casting” rod. He was really proud. It took me 15 minutes to make him understand they sent him a spinning rod. Perhaps this pilgrim thinks he has a casting rod. Lol

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 19, 2023 06:42PM

Had a guy do the George Bush thing while fishing with me in Canada one time. When I explained that the reel should at the bottom he insisted he preferred his way. He did this multiple days Too much pride to fish admit his inexperience. I mean how many times does the reel have to try to spin to the bottom before you figure it out? Lol.

Date: February 19, 2023 06:51PM

if anyone want to look at it on their web site go to M3Tackle.com and on the left find m3 rods and you can see for yourself.

Date: February 19, 2023 06:55PM

I hate not to be polite, but that spiral wrapped spining rod is simply idiocy. They have spiraled the guides to the top, which is what the spiral wrap was invented to get away from. Gimmick or simple lack of knowledge I have no idea, but it's idiocy either way.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 19, 2023 07:28PM

Tom, 100%

Posted by: El Bolinger (---)
Date: February 19, 2023 07:43PM

YALL DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Shamino Poison Adrena is 140% more sensitive, this rod can definitely load better, cast better, and jig better!

I mean the Poison Adrena must be 140% more sensitive than a stick, I'm certain this rod can do all those things better than a 7 foot long cooked noodle!

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 19, 2023 07:54PM

Lynn

I had the same experience and I asked him ti try using the rod like I do, his response was "WOW that's much easier"

I think someone is just having fun.

Have fun
John

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: February 19, 2023 08:09PM

El Bolinger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> YALL DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING
> ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> The Shamino Poison Adrena is 140% more sensitive,
> this rod can definitely load better, cast better,
> and jig
> I mean the Poison Adrena must be 140% more
> sensitive than a stick, I'm certain this rod can
> do all those things better than a 7 foot long
> cooked noodle!

El ,
I believe Shimano's Poison Adrena spinning rod still has all the guides along the bottom of the blank . Maybe their "Spiral X" blank construction (referring to the blank material) is what you're describing ?? I've never had the good fortune to hold one of their casting rods but I'm not sure they are sprial wrapped either ??
Ron

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: February 19, 2023 08:17PM

I checked out the M3 Tackle website . I'm not sure I've been to too many sites that don't list the location of the business ?? Couldn't find anything on the site that would suggest the physical location of their show room / warehouse ?? Totally academic anyway as I don't think I'll be doing business with them .
Ron

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster