I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winn full length taper
Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: February 17, 2023 01:59PM

Has anybody used the Winn full length taper grip? And if so how do you orient it on the blank. If the small end is behind the reel seat it doesn’t match up, if the large end is at the reel seat then the butt cap is too big.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winn full length taper
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: February 17, 2023 02:07PM

Easier to get a different sized butt cap of some type than completely change reel seat size.

Date: February 17, 2023 02:48PM

Mike that’s my goal, rear tenon is 14.7 mm let’s call it 15mm so I need a butt cap with an i.d that’ll fit that and finding one has been challenging

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 17, 2023 03:21PM

Can you not build up an arbor to take up any slop in the butt cap?

Date: February 17, 2023 03:38PM

I technically could but the outter diameters of each won’t match up

Date: February 17, 2023 03:40PM

Then if you flip it around the Butt cap will fit but then you end up with the od of the reel seat and od of the grip having the same problem it to mention it just looks cheesy that way

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2023 03:46PM

If you have the means to to slight sand/taper the OD of the cap at the junction of the rear grip you might be able to make it work. Preferable use a lathe although careful hand work can be just as good, just takes longer.

What you have with that cap shape is a "pommel" which is ergonomically correct for rear fishing rod handles.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2023 04:33PM

Looks like you may have a grip made for a spin rod rather than a casting rod. The 15 mm tenon is small enough to fit a size 16 spin seat. The other end looks like it has a 20 mm tenon to fit the Winn butt cap. The tenon on a casting grip has an OD of about 23-24 mm, and should fit into the inlet of most size 16 and 17 casting reel seats. The ODs of the casting seat and the grip should be flush.
Norm

Date: February 17, 2023 06:45PM

I thought the same thing but there is nothing that says this is a spinning handle vs a casting handle. I attached a build with the same handle, this is a picture from a review a guy left on mud hole about this grip. I have no idea how he did it

Posted by: Brandon fennimore (73.150.189.---)
Date: February 17, 2023 06:48PM

Thinking of just getting batsons full length handle, I like how this one tapers but I can’t find parts to make it work. Super disappointed

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: February 18, 2023 09:17AM

I would make that cap fit on the skinny end. Craft a wooden dowel so that it fits tightly inside the cap. Use an orbital sander attached upside down in a vise. Spin the dowel with your hand on the rotating sander disc. Bring the OD down on the butt until it fits the grip. Create a. new tenon on the grip if needed. My DEWalt sander will spin up rapidly if I don't apply much pressure.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2023 10:25AM

The problem with Winn grips is they don’t last very long. They look and feel great but they just don’t last. Might be a blessing in disguise; if you don’t use it, you won’t need to replace it in a few years.
Norm
PS - The person who wrote that review mention he used the CRB Eva Size 4 butt cap.
[mudhole.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2023 10:49AM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 18, 2023 11:31AM

Of course, we've all overlooked the obvious. The first thing you should do is call Mudhole. They'll be able to tell by looking at your order what sizes you need.

Posted by: Christopher Teeter (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2023 04:18PM

Could you use a reel seat insert trim ring?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster