I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning Rods - Split Grip vs. Full Grip Popularity and Function
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 17, 2023 06:06AM

Just wondering what you guys see as more popular these days for bass - walleye - panfish - trout - spinning rods, full grips or split grips? Seems to run almost 50/50 for me.

The split grips seem to sell because they "look" cool - but the full grip rods always balance a little better.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning Rods - Split Grip vs. Full Grip Popularity and Function
Posted by: Steven Paris (---.242.14.198.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 17, 2023 06:39AM

My family and friends still prefer the look of a full grip cork handle with no bling. I like the split grip because of less reaming and less weight. The rear of the grip is also a good place for the decal and a hook keep. My personal rods these days have split gripTennessee handles.
Steve

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 17, 2023 07:14AM

Just a preference thing. I don't think there is a real functional difference. I make all my rods with split griip. I use fewer expensive cork rings and like the feel just fine.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 17, 2023 08:06AM

I prefer full cork on all rods. I cast two handed and the full grip gives me a bit more to grab onto. Plus, I like the way cork feels, it’s very comfortable.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: February 17, 2023 09:24AM

I like the look of a split grip and it creates another area to add decorative touch to the rod with a wrap or other. For some rods a full handle may provide better balance and if it’s going in a rod holder it may be a more practical option.

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2023 10:07AM

Almost all bass rods are now going to split grip but walleye, trout and panfish seem to retain the full grips more.

I personally see no functional difference between the two when considering casting alone. I cast two handed, and have always grabbed towards the butt of the rod. Simple lever physics and that’s just what’s comfortable for me. I personally am not aware of anyone who does cast grabbing the middle area of the rear grip. I tend to use a min. butt grip length of 3 inches., which fits perfectly in the palm. Split grips are also much easier to ream.

Full length grips I only use if I want a more classic look or plan on using it in a rod holder

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: February 17, 2023 10:09AM

Split grips for most rods due to less reaming, placement flexibility, and less build time. If I build a rod with a 7” rear grip it’ll be full, split would look weird. If I want to stuff it under my arm for some reason, I prefer full for the bulk. If i build a boat rod for big fish and want to stuff the rod between the legs… full rear.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 17, 2023 11:55AM

If it's going in a rod holder it has a full grip so it will not hang up while trying to remove it, especially under full load from a fish. The full tube rod holder built into some boat gunnels and sterns are usually fine either way.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 17, 2023 04:02PM

I've built 10 casting rods, and 8 spinning rods. 4 of the 10 casting rods have split rear grips. The rest are full length. 3 of those are 6' rods, so the rear grips are only 7" long. IMO, just not enough length for a split grip set up. Of the 8 spinning rods, 3 of them have full length rear grips. The rest have split rear grips.

I do very little two handed casting with spinning gear, so really no need for a full length grip. The full length grips I do have on spinning rods are carbon fiber grips so they're more of a cool factor, than a functional factor. The casting rods I prefer a full length rear grip on rods I use for heavy cover, or for making long casts. Other wise the split rear grip is a cool factor thing.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: February 20, 2023 12:49AM

I make the majority of my casting rods with full length grips. My wrists and elbows are worn from electro-fishing and life in general. There are fishing techniques where holding the fore grip and tucking the butt under the arm for a few minutes every hour or so keeps the angling day going. These techniques vary from crankbaits and bigger spinnerbaits to pulling Carolina rigs. There aren’t any techniques I use on a spinning rod where this factor is in play. Thus, I like split grips on spinning rods if rod holders aren’t being used. Less is better unless it serves a functional purpose. Split grips allow for infinite adjustments on length and sometimes balance. The shorter rear grip fits more precisely to the reel seat as hand reaming is never perfectly centered when spiraled sandpaper reamers are used. They track well enough, but wander a little with even the most careful progress.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster