I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cents aren’t cents?? CCS
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (75.76.245.---)
Date: February 17, 2023 11:42AM

Now here is 10 pennies with union shield from 2010 to present…

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 17, 2023 11:44AM

Here is close up of the 10 union shield pennies 2010 - present

Date: February 17, 2023 11:54AM

Here are 10 union shield pennies 2010 - present.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.oh.cpe.breezeline.net)
Date: February 17, 2023 12:02PM

On the mobile app all my pictures show up. when looking on the website via computer just my first two pics show up. Not sure what is going on...? My measurements show that all pennies whether union shield or not weigh 2.5 grams. What is very interesting however is that US law now says a penny is now supposed to weigh 3.11 grams.

[uscode.house.gov]

I'm satisfied that my measurements done back in December/January are accurate. I'll try and get more pics on this thread if I can figure it out. Moving forward I'll use my scale :)

Date: February 17, 2023 12:06PM

One final picture showing my bag of 200 pennies from 2000 - present. Very close to 500 grams. Myth BUSTED…

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: February 17, 2023 12:07PM

M.E.G.O.

Kevin...did you read section (c)?
(c) The Secretary may prescribe the weight and the composition of copper and zinc in the alloy of the one-cent coin that the Secretary decides are appropriate when the Secretary decides that a different weight and alloy of copper and zinc are necessary to ensure an adequate supply of one-cent coins to meet the needs of the United States.

For what its worth...the tolerance for a penny is 0.100 gr.
(That means a penny (minted after 1982) could weigh 2.4 gr - 2.6 gr.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2023 12:13PM by Chris Catignani.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.oh.cpe.breezeline.net)
Date: February 17, 2023 12:18PM

Chris Catignani Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> M.E.G.O.
>
> Kevin...did you read section (c)?
> (c) The Secretary may prescribe the weight and the
> composition of copper and zinc in the alloy of the
> one-cent coin that the Secretary decides are
> appropriate when the Secretary decides that a
> different weight and alloy of copper and zinc are
> necessary to ensure an adequate supply of one-cent
> coins to meet the needs of the United States.
>
> For what its worth...to tolerance for a penny is
> 0.100.
> (That means a penny (minted after 1982) could
> weigh 2.4 gr - 2.6 gr.

I'm a nerd can't help it :). I did CCS measurements on all my rods without a scale and just using bagged up pennies (year 2000 and beyond) and now most of my rods are 6 hours away with my son. Now that I have a scale wanted to play myth busters. I'm satisfied that what I did was accurate and would say it is "safe" to use pennies year 2000 and beyond and be pretty darn accurate. I'll use my scale moving forward.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: February 17, 2023 01:26PM

good info Kevin - the reason you may not have seen your 2nd set of pics on the Computer browser is it bumped onto a 2nd page :)

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: February 17, 2023 01:37PM

The reason he didn't see his pics is because of the old site programming and the new app not playing very nice - it happens to me every time I post pics. There have been a couple of times that I upload like 5 times just to get it on, and then I have to wait a while to see if it made it onto the site out of the app.

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: February 17, 2023 02:06PM

Hanneman was a pretty sharp cookie and I think he mentioned some years back that the US Mint had changed the way they report coin weights. Something about rounding up fractional grams. So any post 2009 pennies were reported at 3 grams but were still only 2.6 or whatever. Cannot remember, might be worth a search in the archives here.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 17, 2023 04:47PM

Kevin, Don't worry about your earlier data. Most likely it's fine, but there is nothing you can do about it anyway, so it's what I call a "wasted worry." Check some of your data vs others in your data base and I think you'll find you are in good shape.

But in any case, it's not "World Peace."

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 17, 2023 08:49PM

Even with the (expressed) habitual hair-splitting involved in rod building, I am certainly comfortable with Kevin’s weight measurement difference of .042%!!! Hannerman’s implementation of using “common” pennies was brilliant to conduct CCS easily and without the need for fancy equipment. While that may serve us in the USA well, I think it is fair to say that Hannerman failed to account for people in other countries wishing to perform CCS; those people simply had to weigh the amount used in grams (g).
Which brings me to my point. It makes NO matter what type of weight is used to deflect the blank 33.33% of its length; pennies, lead weights / shot, aluminum, wood, water or rabbit manure; a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead! To make the task easier and quicker, delegate a little amount of time beforehand to making a few varying size weights which coincide with the blanks you typically use / build / measure. I had a number of cutoff pieces of 1.5 X 1.5 X .50 aluminum which I progressively drilled-out until they weighed exactly 50g (20 cents) and taped a few stacks of 10 pennies together to get close to the target weight before fine-tuning by adding single pennies. Heavier offshore blanks may require a couple cans of beer before fine-tuning. Whether using pennies or manure, simply weigh the bag = you will even eliminate that .042% which should satisfy even the finickiest of hair-splitters.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 17, 2023 09:13PM

Happy Presidents' Day folks!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster