I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Difference in thread finish epoxy and bonding epoxy
Posted by: Steve Colvin (---)
Date: February 16, 2023 07:15PM

I usually use ProPaste for reel seats and handles but have noticed several guys using normal epoxy. I have some ProKote epoxy (thread finish) I need to get rid of. Would it be OK to use it on reel seats? Why not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Difference in thread finish epoxy and bonding epoxy
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: February 16, 2023 07:39PM

It will work as long as the gap to fill is not too large. It is not an adhesive though.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: February 16, 2023 07:40PM

I have used thread finish as glue for rod building with no ill effects. It is runny initially so you might want to let it set up a bit before applying.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 16, 2023 07:47PM

Granted, I've not been building rods very long, but I've never read or heard of anyone using thread finish for gluing reel seats or handles. For starters, thread finish is too expensive considering how much you would need for that purpose. Second, I envision it running all over the place before it cures, unless you plan to put the rod on the dryer. Personally, I like using ProPaste because it dries relatively quick and I can get on with placing and wrapping the guides.

Please let us know how it goes if you decide to give it the old college try. I'd be curious to learn your results.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2023 08:14PM

Going back decades, many rod builders have used their old, yellowed thread epoxy for adhesive jobs. For most freshwater rods where the fit is close, it'll work okay. Epoxy is epoxy, sort of. Similar products but each formulated to suit a specific task. But for general purpose use such as installing grips and reel seats on anything less than heavy, hard use saltwater rods, you'll be fine.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: February 17, 2023 12:39PM

Normal epoxy is chemically suited best for bonding materials and has high strength and is rather hard when dry. And can be purchased in drying/curing times of as little as 5 minutes.

Fly rod thread/guide wrapping epoxy is formulated to be clear and more flexible, thus is softer than traditional epoxy when dry. It does not bond as well as traditional epoxy, and is formulated to take about 24 hours to fully dry/cure.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 17, 2023 01:12PM

As one carpenter would say, "If you want to pound in a nail, use a hammer - not a rock".

The same is true of epoxy, If you want to glue and or laminate something together use a structure gluing epoxy. Do not use surface finish epoxy for gluing.

Will thread finish glue things together? Sure. But, not as well as specifically formulated structure gluing epoxy adhesive.

By the way, virtually any structure gluing epoxy adhesive will work very well for gluing up fishing rods. You can purchase adhesives from sources around the world in curing speeds of 5 minutes to 5 days. Just step up to the bar, make your selection and pay the bill and enjoy the product.

Best wishes

Posted by: Rick Handrick (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 17, 2023 01:18PM

will it work? probably. I'd never do that in my shop, on something I was going to put my name on.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 17, 2023 02:25PM

Those who say it is too runny to use may not remember when liquid epoxy adhesive was all we had, and we learned to handle it. It's not that tough to do.

I personally would rather throw my old wrap epoxy away rather than use it for structural duty. Just don't want to take any chances with something I want to last a lot longer than I will last.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 17, 2023 03:46PM

Steve

The answer is yes... then comes the "BUT this and the BUT that"..and the controversy.

Its best to use the epoxy that is formulated to fit your need. The product label will guide you as to what it is intended for.

Again, any adhesive can be used .......BUT..........

Have fun

John

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: February 17, 2023 04:10PM

Steve,
Do not use thread wrap epoxy for bonding structural applications!!! Will it work? = barely at the very best. They are different epoxies with different formulas to produce different characteristics for different applications. Did I mention that they were different?
When designing the process to produce my tapered, tubular FG ferrules, CARL (Constant Arc Rod Link), I decided to test a ferrule using thread wrap epoxy in lieu of structural laminating epoxy. My thinking was that if the thread epoxy worked, that it would simplify the process for the average rod builder; all rod builders have thread epoxy but few have structural laminating epoxy. Although the first ferrule with thread epoxy looked good, it immediately failed with a minimal amount of force. Actually, I was surprised by how easily it failed.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 19, 2023 08:02PM

I would throw it away. That would get well rid of it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster