I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Better than CCS
Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: February 14, 2023 04:35PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Better than CCS
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.nux.net)
Date: February 14, 2023 04:39PM

What's sad about it is that this is probably the way some companies actually rate their rods! Heck they cannot even get their terms right......... power is not action and action is not power. But I have seen some do this.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2023 06:04PM

Alex, where did you find this book, and who is the author? As previously mentioned, the measuring process discussed does not measure action, but rather the amount weight it takes bend the rod tip to 90 degrees ( I.e, get the tip parallel to to a vertical line). I would be afraid that this method might cause the blank to break. Almost like high sticking. This method has quite a few flaws and does not measure action, since the tip angle is always going to be about 90 degrees. Gives me a good laugh when I see this sorta of stuff. It should make people feel good about being a member of rodboard.
Norm

Date: February 14, 2023 06:20PM

Norm, It's called "Sportsman's Digest of Fishing" by Hal Sharp published in 1952. I found it in some of my childhood books my mother saved. While reading through it I came across the page and thought it might be interesting to someone on this site.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2023 06:34PM

Interesting history nonetheless. Thanks for sharing it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2023 06:37PM

And here is your photo for the book - [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2023 06:38PM

It sounds like an interesting book. I thought I had seen most of the fishing books published back when I was a child, but I guess not. Thanks for sharing it.
Norm

PS - I noticed it cost $1.50 back in the day, big bucks for the times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2023 07:07PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (68.235.61.---)
Date: February 15, 2023 09:07AM

The book is also French from what I can tell although it is written in English. I guess if you consider the materials used at that time probably the then new fiberglass, hanging that much weight to that distance would not be likely to harm those type rods.

Date: February 15, 2023 01:26PM

Barnes and Noble is a New York booksellers and publishing company so I don't believe it's French. It has a card catalog number and is 279 pages full of information. Norm, PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: February 15, 2023 03:07PM

90 degrees should not break most rods, especially fly rods! It is when one goes beyond 90 that breakage can occur. The problem with "high sticking" is that the rod is held vertical which puts the bend only in the tip area.

I bend every blank 90 degrees before i build. If it is going to break at 90, I want it do it, before I build!

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 18, 2023 12:15PM

I don't see any point to the CCS because those ratings are not reflected on rods. All you ever get is the typical medium, MH, etc... Those ratings are wildly inaccurate as the variances between two light, or medium, etc... rods are too great. I said it in another thread, but how is it that I can pick up two different rods from the same manufacturer, with the same rating, and each feels different from the other? Why bother even putting a medium heavy label, or whatever on the rod? If CCS is to be meaningful, then the manufacturers should start putting those ratings on the rod. Instead of me picking up a rod that says MH / Fast, it should say 640 and whatever the action number would be. We all know that's not going to happen so, again, what's the point?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 18, 2023 01:02PM

Anyone else want some popcorn?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 18, 2023 01:16PM

Daryl, CCS has value with at least a few manufacturers' lines of rods where they specify CCS numbers. Like RS RX10 new lineup, like Point Blanks. With these lines, after you have developed an understanding of CCS, you will know exactly what you are going to get for power and action BY USING THE CCS NUMBERS AND NOT USING THE SUBJECTIVE DESCRIPTIONS. I test all the blanks I go through so have a good understanding of what works well for what technique, by the numbers.

With the CCS data base being generated by Kevin Fiant you can sort through hundreds of blanks to find what characteristics you are after. Then with those blanks, even though the manufacturer doesn't specify CCS, you will know what you are getting by the numbers. If you know the CCS numbers on a rod you like, you can find another very similar to it by using the numbers and the data base.

CCS is very powerful, but you do have to understand it and get some gut feel for what the numbers mean.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 18, 2023 02:14PM

Hi All.

See if this works:

[www.amazon.com]

It worked.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2023 02:16PM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 18, 2023 02:58PM

Michael, I understand what CCS is. My post was kind of a backdoor compliment to CCS. For clarification sake, yeah, a person can measure their favorite rod(s), but what good does it do when most manufacturers' rods/blanks don't have numbers to compare. What good that does that do me? I just recently called a manufacturer before my last build and asked if they had that kind of data on their blanks. You'd have thought I asked him to explain the quadratic equation. He had no idea what I was talking about. That's all I meant with my post.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 18, 2023 04:42PM

I have gotten CCS data from blank manufacturers. I believe the fact is that they have the data most of the time. One manufacturer didn't have data on the blank I was interested in, but within a day or two provided it. Keep looking around and asking and you'll find the brands that are informed and cooperative, and buy from them. And for the ones that don't know what CCS is, leave them behind. The more we ask and insist on CCS data the more likely it will take off as it has with Point Blank and Rainshadow RX10. I am pretty sure most if not all blank makers are tuned into this forum.

If we just concede that we are never going to get objective descriptions on blanks, shame on us. About the time just one or two more major makers provide CCS on all their products, the whole wall against providing objective data will crumble. We can help that happen. Don't buy if you cannot get CCS data. The message will soon get through.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 18, 2023 09:15PM

Can't believe it, but 2 hrs. ago I made a big bowl of popcorn. It's waiting to be eaten.

Date: February 19, 2023 12:31PM

Can I join you Lynn?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster