I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

BFS for crappie/panfish - blanks
Posted by: Rick Handrick (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 14, 2023 02:13PM

Hey all - ok, I'm new to BFS, but am interested in the concept. I read the thread here on a light smallmouth stream BFS blank - and that got the gears turning. Now, I'm finding that people are using BFS techniques for crappie fishing - and particularly in conjunction with FFS technology. So, flipping 1/32oz jigs for crappie in brush/cribs, video game fishing on their livescope. Pretty fun concept. Being new to the concept, and never have seen one of these rods in person - does anyone have suggestions for blanks that could fill the bill? I have an MHX S841 I'm currently building as a standard UL spinning rod right now. Nice blank, labeled fast action, but it's more moderate. It seems to me that possibly that could be a good fit..... any help or discussion is appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BFS for crappie/panfish - blanks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 14, 2023 02:32PM

I'd wait till I built the rod than try it and draw my own conclusions. How you build a blank doesn't change the blank. Myself I think I would want to pitch all day with a spinning rod over flipping all day with a casting rod with a that weight lure.

Posted by: Joel Wick (---.norlight.net)
Date: February 14, 2023 04:24PM

That S841 will be too light, I’m afraid. It a great ultralight blank, though.

I might suggest a light MHX blank fron the Elite-X or Elite Pro series’s if you can swing it.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 14, 2023 06:19PM

I haven't specifically fished for crappie in many many years. In fact I hadn't owned a "pan fish" rod for those many many years until a drop shot rod I built for bass, turned out to be a complete dud for its' intended purpose. Now I have a really sweet pan fish rod. lol

Anyhow..... I do catch a number of crappie out of willow bushes while fishing for bass. The majority of the crappies I catch doing this are deep in the bush, where a light lure isn't going to reach because the bait doesn't have enough weight to penetrate the cover. It won't drag the line with it as it falls into the bush. I understand using lighter baits in open water or sparse cover, but if you're trying to get a bait into a bush or a brush pile. I just don't see how those light baits get the job done?

I know my post isn't about blank choice. I just wonder about using light weights when you're trying to get into cover. I gotta think the fish are coming out to get the bait versus staying put and letting the bait come to them?

Posted by: Joel Wick (191.96.80.---)
Date: February 14, 2023 09:03PM

David, light baits are important because "floating" a lure while slowly moving it horizontally, using just the resistance from the line is very effective for neutral fish.

With Forward Facing Sonar, as Rick has mentioned, fish can be found in small numbers hanging around small pieces of cover, and still be fished efficiently.

Literally, a 4-foot-long tree branch in 20 feet of water can be discovered and surveyed, and even if it has but one crappie on it, you can put a bait in front of it in one cast.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: February 15, 2023 08:56AM

Correct Joel - you understand what I'm talking about here. The methods of finding, approaching, and presenting a lure to a fish are changing RAPIDLY as FFS tech grows in its use and the technology is maturing. You can drive past a timber crib that is holding fish 80' away from your boat - mark a waypoint on it from your side imaging - navigate to it with your trolling motor, Spot Lock 20 feet away, pick out a single fish on that crib with your FFS, and drop a bait on it's nose. I think that it's difficult to understand unless you've used all this tech together and seen the capability. The BFS/panfish guys are trying to take advantage of the inherent accuracy of baitcasting equipment over spinning equipment. It's just easier to put that 1/32oz jig on the fish's nose with baitcasting equipment. Of course, it's also new and different, so as fisher people, we are genetically pre-dispositioned to have to have it lol. Perhaps there is a custom rod marketing opportunity here for the BFS and BFS/panfish niches, given the relative lack of commercial offerings at this time....

Posted by: Joel Wick (---.norlight.net)
Date: February 15, 2023 10:35AM

Rick,, in my somewhat limited experience with BFS, I think that 1/32 oz will be pushing the low limit for even the high end BFS reels. The ability to cast 1/16 oz is attainable, though, and my opinion is that a 3/32 oz jig is the most versatile of all for FFS crappie fishing.

However, if 1/32 is what you wish to do, that S841 blank would be a good blank to build on, as it will load with a 1/32 oz jig. It is relatively inexpensive, too, so if it doesn’t work, you’re not out a whole lot.

My BFS crappie rods would also have to cast small 1/8 oz crank baits like the Rapala ultralight lures, Duo Realis Shad 52, and Ryuki Vibes, so I think going one small step up in power makes more sense to me; I am building one on a MHX Elite-X NSJ870 right now.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: February 15, 2023 12:43PM

The 1/32 was referenced in a YT video I was watching on the subject. I honestly thought it sounded very light, but I lack knowledge on the BFS baitcaster reels available and what weights they can handle - so I went with it! Thanks for your insight!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 16, 2023 10:42AM

That rod has an ERN of 6.6, about like a 6 weight fly rod, so it just may load nicely with the light lures you are targeting. Based on my experience building fly blanks into spin rods, I think it will have plenty of power. Since you have it, build it and try it. You will certainly learn something of value in getting into a relatively lesser known technique. Since you will be using light lines, use very small guides which will work fine and slow the recovery speed of the rod less than larger, heavier guides.

Thanks again to Kevin Fiant for the CCS data base from which I got the 6.6 ERN value.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: February 16, 2023 03:52PM

My best casting BFS is I think an Ajing blank. IP is mid 200 and tip is like AA82. Very fast light tip.

Normally I gravitate more to the lighter CB or inshore popping. A ML CB will typically toss the Duo spearhead 50S (4.4) and also the 38. I haven’t cast the duo you listed. If you are trying to toss something like the small yo-zuri pins (1.8 grams), my advice is use a spinner. I really enjoy BFS, but I try and stay 1/8-5/16. Most baits I throw are a total weight of 4-4.5. I haven’t crappie fished in a long time, so I don’t know if those are sensitive enough, but with moving presentations it shouldn’t matter.

Date: February 18, 2023 12:36PM

Joel, I definitely get what you're saying about how effective floating a light weight bait, is. It wasn't until I really started lightening up on jig head weight, that I found out how effective a Ned rig can be. I don't know if you've ever used any of the baits by Z Man, but if you have, you know how buoyant they are. Some more so than others. You can play around with jig head weight and trimming some of the baits to get just the right amount of float, in the water column.

I gotta admit though, I have a hard time fishing a Ned rig according to what is said to be the "proper" way. It's effective, but it drives me crazy, so I usually use non Z Man baits when fishing a Ned rig just for the extra sink rate, and the little bit of added feel they provide.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 18, 2023 01:09PM

Ned Ocho in Moon Juice color is an effective ned lure for northern smallies.

Date: February 19, 2023 06:19AM

Michael, I can definitely see that being a good color for smallies. I use a 3" Roboworm Ned worm in Watermelon Dawn that is similar to the Moon Juice color, and I wack them on it. Gonna have to give that Moon Juice color a try. Thanks for mentioning it.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: February 19, 2023 08:51AM

In shallow the little TRD crawz in pumpkin or one of the browns is killer. Finesse eye or a bonefish jig-head for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster