I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Spin jig or mag bass
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 15, 2023 03:50PM

Call it what you want, and use it for what you want. Rods are a lot more versatile than most people think. And if you want to know what it really is, determine its CCS numbers. And if you want to go another step in knowing what it is, determine its TNF.

One of my son's favorite tube rods is an IP. Inshore popping. My new crankbatit rod, a CB, has an AA of almost 80 degrees. Is that a crankbait rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: February 16, 2023 08:54PM

Interesting on your son's choice in a tube rod. Myself and most people I fish with tend to lean towards a nice fast action med power spinning blanks for tubes. Is it a modfast popping blank?

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2023 10:07PM

I've been feeling a bit like I want more moderate fast in all my rods now, or maybe it's fast but will still pull down into the mid section... idk. I'd be really curious to try that rod for tubes,.

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Date: February 17, 2023 06:05AM

The rod mentioned is one of my favorite rods for snapping small swimbaits off the bottom, its action giving a nice progressive acceleration of the lure that seems to appeal to walleyes and smallies. Rainshadow IP843 I think? It's probably the equivalent of the REVIP70ML which is offered now. Yes, it surprised me too that he uses it for tubes when he also uses St Croix SCV70MF for tubes but I think it shows that rods are more versatile than most people believe. A little less powerful than the St Crox and its action is slower.

Matt, yes, it's called mod-fast and is called a popping blank. CCS about ERN 13.3, AA 66. I also prefer a faster action for tubes with the PB701MLF and ST Croix SCV70MF's being my favorite tube rods. The IP/ERN of the PB is higher than the SC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2023 08:39AM by Michael Danek.

Date: February 17, 2023 08:33AM

If it works it works right!?? I agree,
the St Croix 66MF and 70MF make excellent tube and general purpose smallie rods.

Date: February 17, 2023 11:03AM

Mick
Glad ya mentioned the PB701MLF as a tube rod. My son wants a new tube rod with alittle more backbone than the 69MLXF and 70MF croixs he has.. the 661MLF and 701MLF were on the short list

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: February 17, 2023 04:07PM

The RX10 Eternity ETEC72M builds into a more than dandy spinning rod for tubes up to say, 1/2 oz Perfect for a 3/16 - 1/4 jig head and a 3 1/2 - 4" tube. :o)

Date: February 17, 2023 04:43PM

David, I have the RX10 7 foot 2 medium power spin blank built up and yes, it too is a very nice tube rod. And it works very well for lots of other stuff, too.

Date: February 17, 2023 06:59PM

Looks like 2 more really good options. I'd probably lean towards the etes72m cause we thow alot of
1/8 and 3/16oz. and the occasional day where 1/4oz is needed.
THX!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2023 10:03AM by Matt Ruggie.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster