I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cashion Blanks
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.oh.cpe.breezeline.net)
Date: February 12, 2023 02:28PM

Anybody built on the Cashion blanks now being offered thru Mudhole. Look intriguing. Particualrly interested in the Crankbait rods but interested if anyone has any CCS data and/or experience with these blanks. Ridges cause issue with wrapping?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cashion Blanks
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.75.---)
Date: February 13, 2023 09:43AM

Some can easily wrap ridged blanks. I find them an unnecessary complication , PIA, and will not buy a ridged blank.

Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: February 13, 2023 08:40PM

It seems to be a mixed opinion topic, personally I haven’t had a problem with it on my nfc blanks, try using size d thread

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 14, 2023 07:16AM

When one has dozens of spools of Size A thread, it's not a very inviting prospect to change thread sizes to accomodate ridges. I'll simply buy smooth blanks. There are plenty of them out there.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 14, 2023 07:21AM

Simply put, if one buys a ridged blank - enjoy them, use sand paper and a bucket of water to sand off the ridges and the rest of the finish and go build a wonderful rod. It doesn't take much time to make a smooth blank from one which is not smooth.

Best wishes

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2023 09:49AM

It's not hard to wrap on an unhanded blank. Even with A thread.

And keep in mind that if you sand a blank you have voided any warranty.

Date: February 14, 2023 11:25AM

It's more difficult to slide nail knots into position, and even regular wraps, for me, are sometimes troublesome the the trhead following the ridge and my having to move it . With size A . It's a matter of opinion as to how the ridges affect one. I've heard others here state the same thing I'm stating.

I simply see no reason to accept any difficulties when there is no functional advantage to the ridges, and if having them saves the maker some time/money by not sanding them off, It would be nice to get a discount for putting up with them.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 20, 2023 11:18AM

There have always been ridged blanks, nothing new, I'm in the "So What" gang.

Date: February 20, 2023 11:41AM

Blanks that have not been sanded have two (possible) advantages. First is that their surface is uncompromised by sanding. The bulk of the strength-stiffness in a rod blank is in the extreme outer layers of material. Good equipment and quality control typically makes this a non-issue, but if the blank hasn't been sanded, you know that a poor sanding job hasn't damaged the blank. Second, they sell for a little less than they would otherwise as unhanded blanks result in less labor being required.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2023 12:17PM

@Tom over seen it said, and your comment would also imply, that sanded blanks are softer than the same blank unwanted. So there's that to consider, although I'm not sure how much of a difference could be measured.

Also, not every manufacturer passes on the labor savings to their consumer - same price sanded or unsanded.

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Date: February 20, 2023 12:46PM

Yes they are less powerful unless some slight additional material is designed in to serve as a bit of a sacrificial layer. Sometimes this the case.

Generally unsanded blanks are indeed less expensive so the mfg can hit the intended price point .

Anyone that sands such blanks may be voiding their warranty. Be careful in that regard.

…………….

Date: February 20, 2023 06:16PM

I wonder if anyone has any actual power numbers before and after sanding. I doubt if it can be reliably measured. NFC does not give a price break for unsanded blanks.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2023 06:30PM

I’ve measured several unsanded and sanded (smooth mirror finish) NFC X-ray blanks and found no difference between them. I’ve had no problems with the regular unsanded X-ray blanks, the finish is kind of nice since it is different.
Norm

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2023 07:39PM

Last year I purchased a piscifun rod called the viper- marketed with that name because it is unsande and felt like snake skind. I was ignorant at the time as to why that was the marketing ploy, it just happened to meet my specs I was looking for.

Now that I'm a builder, I can see how the crazy long grip length can be shortened , because this piscifun 6'10 M Xf has like a 14 inch grip or something and makes it feel unwieldy. But I can fix that going forward with my builds. Because I build rods. I'm a rod builder now. In case you couldn't tell i think people building rods are pretty cool... just sayin.

@Norman and @Mick - this is why you two play well together haha, we appreciate you!

Building rods in MA, Building the community around the world

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (---)
Date: February 20, 2023 08:30PM

I'm assuming they're ridged due to being raw carbon?

Date: February 20, 2023 09:21PM

They're ridged due to not having the resin sanded from the outside of the blank after the curing process.

Posted by: John Santos (---.110.244.66.dyn.smithville.net)
Date: February 21, 2023 10:15AM

I have in hand a “polished” NFC SJ724 XRay and an unsanded NFC SJ724 Xray. The ridged version IS a hair stiffer than the polished version (noticeable). The first SJ703 ridged version I got I had to send back as it was significantly stiffer than the polished. Not sure which way to go next time as sometimes you’d want it a bit stiffer, and other times the opposite.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2023 10:32AM

How do you measure stiffness?
Norm

Date: February 21, 2023 05:36PM

The only way to know the difference is to do the measurements on the same blank. Measure it as it comes. Then sand it and measure again. I'll bet it's within normal test error, a few %.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster