I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Ring Abrasion
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 25, 2023 01:19PM

I'm beginning to gather components for a steelhead rod for a customer and I need an opinion on potential abrasion. The customer uses baitcasting reels on 10'-11' rods with the floating line customarily used with center pin reels. Not using that kind of line myself, I'm concerned on it's effect on the guide rings. What is compounding the problem is he wants black guide frames and rings. Luckily I have a bunch of Fuji BMNAT with black frames and rings for the double foot guides. I know I can get zirconium, Alconite, and SiC rings in the single foot fly guides being used for runners which I would be happy with, but not in his desired color combination. I'm dubious about aluminum oxide's longevity and I don't know the wear resistance for nickle/titanium (REC). I could ask any of the suppliers, but I would have to discern if it's a sales pitch or straight facts. So I'm looking for honest unbiased answers from you. Thanks!

Dave Sytsma

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Ring Abrasion
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 25, 2023 02:13PM

In my experience, I have never had a problem with any ceramic guide grooving. However, I’ve seen some grooving on some very old aluminum oxide tip tops, but not with any of the newer modern varieties. To help convince yourself as to how groove resistant ceramic guides are, do the following. Take any salvaged large ring ceramic guide and try to cut it using a hacksaw blade. I’ll guarantee you won’t be able to do it. In fact you will damage the saw blade before scratching the guide. There are a number of companies that sell black ceramic fly rod guides.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 25, 2023 03:12PM

David,
If you are worried about abrasion, go ahead and use the guides you have to do the rod build. But, make a point to purchase an SIC tip top.

In a rod like this, about 90% of the heavy wear is on the tip top. This is simply because this is where the head shaking and hard runs are first seen by the rod and the tip doe all of the blank directing and wear and tear for the rest of the rod guides.

The rod guide generally are more or less just going on for the fun of it.

Best wishes

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 25, 2023 04:24PM

Thanks, guys. I was able to find a Forecast tiptop that will fill the bill for the tip. I'm going to see what I can get for the runners: Norm makes a good point on the latest generation of aluminum oxide rings. This is a high dollar rod and I obviously want it to meet the customer's expectations.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: January 25, 2023 04:53PM

David Sytsma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, guys. I was able to find a Forecast tiptop
> that will fill the bill for the tip. I'm going to
> see what I can get for the runners: Norm makes a
> good point on the latest generation of aluminum
> oxide rings. This is a high dollar rod and I
> obviously want it to meet the customer's
> expectations.

For single foot with ceramic - in black - Batson Forecast BFLG for 304 black stainless with hard aluminum oxide rings, or Batson Alps XBFLG for the 316 stainless variety.

BSFLG and BSFNG for traditional wire ring/snake guides

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 25, 2023 06:07PM

I'm in agreement with Norman and Roger. Never had a guide groove, only old cheap tiptops.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.26.18.98.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 26, 2023 11:37AM

I got the same advice from Norm a few years ago at the expo. I couldn't wait to get home and try it. Sure enough, he was spot on in his assessment. Then again, he typically is.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2023 01:31PM

I would not worry about abrasion with any modern type of guide. I have had the black paint peel off the Fuji black guides so I really wouldn't worry about the black anodized REC guides (if that is what it is). AT and Seaguide both make black guides. I believe Kigan does also.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 26, 2023 11:42PM

No quality guide will groove in a noticeable way.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 27, 2023 12:13AM

I have a rod I built on standard duty guides Aluminum Oxide guides in 1985 for jigging Florida wrecks, when I retired in '91 it has had a diet of 80 lb. Tufline braid on oversize sturgeon to 10 ft., zero guide problems including the tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster