I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cutting down a rod
Posted by: Kyle Sawyer (---.usace.army.mil)
Date: January 03, 2023 02:03PM

I have a friend who is short they want a 5' jerk bait rod. By personal one is a MB662 that i did years. I cannot find a 5' or 5'6" rod. I was wondering if I cut 6" to 1' off of the butt section how much it would change the action. of if anyone know of a Blank already.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cutting down a rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 03, 2023 02:10PM

Have you looked at the NFC SJ545-1?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2023 02:38PM

Cutting from either end will make the action slower. Action is where the rod initially flexes. Six inches will make a large difference. Also remember that cutting from the butt will reduce the rod's power.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: January 03, 2023 03:39PM

For that specific rod I would use an old rod and strip it down, cut it and build it back. What do you really have to lose? It seems to be an experiment anyway.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 03, 2023 06:00PM

I certainly understand wanting a shorter rod for jerkbaits, as it is a bait that is more easily worked, tip down, but 5' is an awfully short rod. I'd have to ask if they are certain that they want a rod that short?

Are they fishing out of a boat, or from shore? If out of a boat, is it a deeper boat where they're fishing from the floor of the boat, or are they fishing from a deck in the boat? How high are the gunwales?

I'm a touch under 5'8 and the rod I built for jerkbaits is 6'1" long. I fish from a bass boat, but as it's an older boat, the gunwales are taller than they are on today's bass boats. That length rod works out very well for me. It has enough length that coupled with the reel I have on it (a Shimano SLX 70 MGL) I can cast as far as I want, and still be able to effectively hook a fish if it were to hit near the end of a long cast.

I built my jerkbait rod on a Rainshadow REVS68ML blank, that I trimmed 7" off the butt. Biggest baits I throw with it are Vision 110s and Pointer 110s. It also makes a dandy little top water popper rod.

Anyhow ..... before I'd build a 5' rod, I'd make sure they actually want a rod that short.

Posted by: Daniel Grundvig (---)
Date: January 04, 2023 10:03AM

Get Bit offers many of United Composites' Dual Helix blanks in the 5'6" to 6' length

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 04, 2023 11:32PM

Kyle,
Go for it.
I have built a lot of rods over the years that needed to be shorter.
I simply chopped the length from the butt of the rod and finished the rod.
Never had a rod that didn't work well.

The key thing is to take a potential blank, hold it where the reel will be placed and then do a flexing test on it and verify that the overall action of the rod, when held in that way, will meet your requirements for the rod.

I virtually never trim a rod from the tip. For the type rods that I build for the fish that we target here, removing anything from the tip of a very sensitive rod, essentially converts it into a poor resemblance of a pool cue.

Note, the previous comments about cutting a blank will change the action and power of the rod are right on. So, as I said earlier, hold the rod where you want the reel to be, then flex the rod and see if the then flex, action, and power will work for you for the new rods purpose.

Best wishes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster