I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

$12,000 Fishing Rod
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: December 07, 2022 09:56AM

So the Zenaq rod company has just introduced a top of the line saltwater rod that sells for $12,000. Saw it in a trade magazine and wondered if it was a joke. Apparently not .The question is..... do they actually sell any at that price and if so, who would pay that much for a rod that cannot possibly be thousands of dollars better than other top line commercial rods of the same type.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: $12,000 Fishing Rod
Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: December 07, 2022 10:04AM

Its like so many other things in different markets, charge more and people who have money will think its better and buy it - or just want to say they have the ______ because they can. Look at Doyo - let's be reel here, there is not much difference between some of the reels different companies put their name on, but the price difference can be crazy. Or Apple Airpods vs so many other wireless ear buds - many are better quality and cheaper, but then you don't look like the kind of person who buys Apple products (Not in all cases, but it is certainly a cultural thing that has been written about in articles as a general observation).

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 07, 2022 03:57PM

They spent a lot of money on their website and promotions. Its to cover that type of overhead. I guess its the Bushido of angling. The way of the angler. Rich offshore fishermen will pay that for a rod. About the same as filling up the boat and fishing a tournament for a few days.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 07, 2022 04:41PM

ONE MAN’S CEILING IS ANOTHER MAN’S FLOOR!!! Amongst many obvious questions, one thing for sure is at THAT price, they certainly do not have to sell very many!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---)
Date: December 07, 2022 06:38PM

Inflation is killing us....Unicorn horn grips and valyrian steel framed guides arent cheap these days.

is this the "naked" rod with carbon wrapped guides?
weird website with some strange visuals for a rod company.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2022 07:17PM

Zenaq had originated some very clever carbon framed guides. I was in touch with them a year or so ago and tried to get some for testing. They do not appear to be in production yet but if it ever happens they'll have a winner, provided folks can afford them.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 08, 2022 11:03AM

Hello All.

I just watched the video on the Naked rod and it sells for 1,290,000 yen = $937.00 USD.

Now I might be seeing a different add than you are, but this sounds more likely, that you didn't notice the price is listed in Yen.

If I'm wrong give me a link to it.

Thank You.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Kevin Earls (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: December 08, 2022 11:45AM

Robert A. Guist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello All.
>
> I just watched the video on the Naked rod and it
> sells for 1,290,000 yen = $937.00 USD.
>
> Now I might be seeing a different add than you
> are, but this sounds more likely, that you didn't
> notice the price is listed in Yen.
>
> If I'm wrong give me a link to it.
>
> Thank You.
>
>
> Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

That would seem a lot more reasonable... but unfortunately your conversion was a decimal off. 1.29 Y is $9,370

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: December 08, 2022 12:43PM

Just looked on a Zenaq distributor's website and the most expensive rod listed there was the Tobizo Popping rod which listed for $1,199.99 . Their shipping must be a true bear :) All academic for me . Even at that listed price , I doubt I could afford one of their butt guides :)
Ron

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: December 08, 2022 01:17PM

It was in an article in Tackle Trade World. They showed $$ not yen. If it is a misprint and it is yen, I will feel a lot better!

Date: December 08, 2022 01:39PM

Mike Ballard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was in an article in Tackle Trade World. They
> showed $$ not yen. If it is a misprint and it is
> yen, I will feel a lot better!

its probably the naked concept rod. its listed as 1,280,000 yen (tax not included)

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 08, 2022 04:55PM

Hello All.

Kevin you are right, I double checked my numbers at both ends: Matt is right on the name and price of 1,280,000 Yen my conversion was dropped, I re-entered it and it came out to $9,365.76 United States Dollars (sorry about that).

It was just a drop of 3 zero's.

Thanks Again.

P.S.
1 JPY = 0.007317 USD Dec 08, 2022 21:19 UTC

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2022 04:58PM by Robert A. Guist.

Date: December 08, 2022 05:53PM

robert. somehow i totally missed your post up above..lol. btw google did the same thing to me .. it auto filled my search. i caught it when it brought me to the yen to usd table.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 08, 2022 08:01PM

Yes, it was $12,000 USD at the time it was introduced. The exchange rate has lowered to just under $10K USD for now. Sounds like a bargain.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 08, 2022 09:19PM

I appreciate Tom’s sarcasm, “bargain”. Even so, allow me to repeat “one man’s ceiling is another man’s floor”. But to add another old saying, “you get what you pay for”; really?!?!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster