I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC guide spacing spinning vs casting
Posted by: Patrick Noll (---)
Date: December 04, 2022 11:05AM

Probably a stupid question but on the NFC guide spacing by blank lists spinning rods as 7 guides (normally) and casting as 9-11 guides (normally) if I’m building spinning rods with 10 guide trains. P703 hm, p704 hm and sj762 IM. Can I use the casting guide placement for a spinning setup. I know I should do my own placement based on the blank I receive but I think what they list and a 10 guide train should work fine. Appreciate the feedback!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC guide spacing spinning vs casting
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 04, 2022 11:13AM

It is my opinion that the first three guides of a spinning rod should be placed based on the ability of the rod to cast well (I use Fuji KLH guides and the KR software on their site, and it always works just fine) and the rest of the guides placed based on a two line deflection test.

The number of guides on both casting and spin should depend on the stress test.

I locate the first guide on a casting build at about 19 inches from the reel and adjust if necessary, but it seldom is. The rest of the guides are placed based on the two line stress test.

The sooner a builder stops consulting general "recipes" for their builds the sooner they will understand how to build a great rod.

Date: December 04, 2022 11:44AM

NFC has spacing and guide placement by blank, figuring that’s more accurate than most companies and should be pretty close to a stress text, I know each blank is different. Just wondering if spinning vs casting can be intermixed since they list spinning guide placement with minimal guides but casting with more. I’ve used 9-10 guides on sub 7’ spinning blanks and they cast great, still light, have a good bend. Always just used the mudhole spacing which is just based on length. The NFC spacing guide seems more specific for the blanks I’m using.

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: December 04, 2022 12:23PM

I might try the NFC guide spacing suggestions on a mock-up. Test cast.

Same for Michael's suggestions (which I follow).

See which you like best. It's some extra work, but then you'll learn a bunch. Experimentation is fun and might lead you to that ground-breaking, light-bulb moment!

"Intermixing" the spacing for spin vs cast: The way I see it, the difference between the number of spinning guides versus casting guides is due to the orientation of the guides on the blank. The Simple Spiral is a hybrid-type. I have Simple Spiral casting rods and like the way they perform.

As a rule for myself, I like one or two more guides than what is typically "Specified" on both casting and spinning rods. This is what I find after I static test the blank and guide train.

* I have some old G-Loomis spinning rods (store bought). One I am looking at right NOW: SJR782 (GLX), 6'6" Medium, Fast, 6-12# line, 1/8-3/8 oz. lure.
This rod has (6) total running guides plus a tip top: #25 ring Y-frame, 12 Y-frame, 8 Y-frame, 7 single foot, 6 single foot, 6 single foot, 6 tip top.

Needless to say, a very good spinning rod, but I would build it differently today. Tom Kirkman wrote in a blog post on Feb. 6, 2022, that he experimented with several modern guide layout systems, and found 1% difference between them (except for his own "Oddball" layout). This is just to say I am not minimizing the layout on my old G-Loomis rod because it can cast and perform vey well. Nor am I saying "nothing matters." Play with it and enjoy the process is what I am saying.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2022 01:07PM by Leslie Cline.

Date: December 04, 2022 02:02PM

That’s all good information, thank you. Would a stress test of the same blank on the spline/spine result in the same guide placement for a spinning and casting blank.

Posted by: Evan Cobb (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2022 06:48PM

In my humble opinion, and based off of just a couple years of building, casting tends to require more guides than spinning. Since casting guides are placed on top of the blank in a traditional train, more guides are required to avoid the line touching the blank when under load. With spinning guide trains, the guides are spaced out based on the properties of the rod during a two line static test but results in one or two guides less as compared to casting rods. Placement will be close, but not exact to each other. But it also depends on the blank. Lighter rods tend to need more guides, but this can also be offset by using slightly higher guide frames similar to St Croixs legend panfish and trout rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2022 06:50PM by Evan Cobb.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 04, 2022 08:01PM

Patric,
Guide spacing charts will produce a generic rod. Utilizing the 2-line deflection test for guide placement will produce a custom rod.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: December 05, 2022 07:30AM

Patrick,
To simply answer your last question, no. The tip and for a few running guides will be the same. Once you hit your choker on the spinning the spacing will be dependent on what system you use. In the span of what would be the first two guides from the reel on a casting rod you will likely have two to three guides in something like KR layouts for a spinning rod. My suggestion is to do a KR setup using the calculator at anglers resource. Then two line deflection will place your runners.

I have built quite a few rods. Even when I am building four or five identical builds on the same model blank I use the two line static test for placement. No two rods are perfectly identical which is why I quit writing down "spacing recipes" and such. Each rod deserves to be treated individually. It is what I believe puts us a step above OEM mass productions.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2022 12:23PM

On spinning rods the placement of the first 3 guides closest to the reel should be based on the reel and angle of the spool toward the choke point of the blank. The rest will be for the static load. You need less guides on a spinning rod because the line is below the rod and more guides on a casting rod because the line is above the rod. Casting rod running trains are based on the guide ring size and frame height of the guide along with static considerations.

Date: December 05, 2022 12:28PM

That all makes sense, thanks everyone for their input.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster