I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread and winding checks
Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2022 09:15AM

Quick questions - I saw some stuff about color preserver (or thread already treated that doesn’t need preserver) making wrap finish not totally absorb into threads so it doesn’t set as strong as thread without preserver - your experience and thoughts? Saw a video where one side was treated and the other not - was certainly convincing.

I’ve watched so many hours of rod building vids on YouTube and haven’t seen anybody mention winding checks. Are they just not necessary or not worth mentioning? Can I just not use them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread and winding checks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 20, 2022 09:53AM

They are cosmetic and serve no real functional purpose. Use one if you like (or need to) or not.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2022 11:55AM

They basically give a finished look to grip, since cover any flaws or gaps created when reaming. Certainly not necessary but they do look good.
Norm

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: November 20, 2022 12:16PM

While I would generally agree that winding checks are primarily cosmetic, there is one thing they do that is very important! If the handle does not fit tight to the blank, water incursion may occur and water is an enemy that must be kept out of the space! A winding check can seal off the end of the handle quite nicely! That being said, you can also accomplish this water-block using a thread-wrap, which I have done frequently. This adds a complimentary decorative element that gives the rod a more finished look, similar to how wrapping the tip does.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 20, 2022 12:54PM

In 40+ years rod building I have never seen on any rod from anybody, or company fail because they chose to use CP, it's just silly. Why would the good sponsors to the left make the stuff and done it for decades if it was junk? Can't and other negatives has no place in rod building, I have seen way to many changes and innovations to ever think that it's a world of what ifs.

Posted by: El Bolinger (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2022 07:57PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In 40+ years rod building I have never seen on any
> rod from anybody, or company fail because they
> chose to use CP, it's just silly. Why would the
> good sponsors to the left make the stuff and done
> it for decades if it was junk? -the video doesn’t show that it’s junk and I never said it was, just that relative to no CP there was a visible difference when the glue was picked at to reveal the thread.

Can't and other
> negatives has no place in rod building, I have
> seen way to many changes and innovations to ever
> think that it's a world of what ifs.

I’ll be honest here my man, I’m not really sure what you’re saying.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 20, 2022 08:14PM

If the grip is properly bonded to the blank with whatever adhesive is used then water incursion will not occur and will not fail the rod regardless of whether a winding check is used or not.

The adhesive itself if it is the right stuff will not be affected by moisture. I always use plenty of epoxy to fully fill any possible voids and have never had a grip/seat to blank failure. With or without winding checks. It's all about using enough of the right adhesive combined with proper surface prep.

Many of the checks offered these days, in my opinion, are gaudy and unattractive. And expensive.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2022 08:58PM

I like the black vinyl winding checks. They come in various sizes, will stretch to fit the blank and look good without being gaudy.
Norm

Posted by: Patrick Noll (---)
Date: November 20, 2022 10:07PM

I use winding checks on my rods with carbon fiber or Winn grips as it just looks cleaner (and I have a ton of the black vinyl ones from kits I got from Mudhole) otherwise with eva grips I just skip them. Wouldn’t buy them personally.

Posted by: El Bolinger (50.233.0.---)
Date: November 21, 2022 10:20AM

Thanks yall, if they essentially serve no to very little purpose, I'll forego them. Maybe I'll do a short wrap in front of the foregrip instead.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster