I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: North Fork Composites Topwater/Jerkbait Blank
Posted by: Ken Delbridge (192.55.54.---)
Date: August 07, 2023 10:00PM

MB664 is pretty darn good for the application you are looking into. It will handle smaller topwater poppers (Pop-Rs, ricos), and you will find you don't over sweep a jerkbait with the shorter format. Go with an IM or a Delta blank - you don't need an HM for this.

If you are looking for a z-spook or topwater stick bait rod, look at the NFC Zentron 705 or MB736 IM or Delta, these will launch those baits which is commonly desired for tossing a topwater stick bait. The MB736 will also do well for spinnerbaits/bladed baits.

This is feedback having fished these blanks. Hope it helps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: August 07, 2023 10:59PM

I use different rods for these classes of baits because the weights I throw are different. The heaviest jerkbait I throw is the Megabass Ito Shiner at 5/8’s of an ounce. That’s where the topwater lures I throw start in weight. I throw many 1/4 ounce jerkbaits and some 1.25 ounce topwaters. Jerkbaits catch much more fish for me on long casts. Nearly all jerkbaits cast poorly on rods heavy enough to cast the typical bass topwater weight range. Jerkbaits work great with fluorocarbon line. Topwater lures work terribly with this sinking line. I often switch back and forth between the two baits. It just doesn’t work at all for me to use one rod interchangeably with these two techniques. Even though I built a dedicated jerkbait rod that is one of my favorites, I still switch the hooks on a few of my most used jerkbaits to larger sized, short shanked trebles. My rod does a great job of keeping the fish pinned, but these hooks increase the landing rate to near 100% of fish hooked and turned. The Ichikawa short shanked Kamakiri hooks are my favorite with the Gamakatsu Aaron Martens TGW Nano G-Finesse being a close second.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2023 03:04PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Patrick Noll (216.221.27.---)
Date: August 08, 2023 09:38AM

I ended up going with a P704- HM, currently being built, i'll report back on how it preforms. I wanted something that could throw multiple baits specifically on rocky rivers for smallmouth. Hopefully it's a happy medium for Jerkbaits and other smallmouth techniques.

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: August 08, 2023 10:31PM

The X-ray sb683 is another one to look into. I use it to throw megabass x80 and the 110jrs. It’s also built as a bait caster with an aldebaran 30.

Posted by: Rob Carey (---)
Date: August 09, 2023 08:10AM

Delta MB664

It is the greatest jerkbait and light topwater rod there is. I built it with a short handle so it fishes closer to a 6'8".

It can cast a 110 but has backbone to fish +1 or deeper jerkbait. Plenty of rod to throw a shower blow shorty or popper.

BUY THIS BLANK! I promise you will be surprised and it's a @#$%& of a value.

I want to build two more identical rods. Threw buzzbaits in tight cover with it too.

Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: August 09, 2023 11:37AM

Hey Norm,

Since you're on a roll, do you have the data on an NFC 736-1? I bought this blank on your recommendation a while back, but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm hoping it works out for inshore salt water...trout, redfish and snook.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2023 02:20PM

SJ or MB? Both will make good inshore rods, casting or spinning.
NFC MB736 X-ray IP 668 AA 71
NFC SJ736 X-ray IP 793 AA 75
They are both in the CCS data base.
Norm

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: August 09, 2023 02:40PM

I am a little late here but I love this topic and it includes my favorite rod. The SJ703. It is my favorite Jerkbait rod I have fished so far. Just not for 110's.

I find the SJ703 too light for 110's. It loads too much when working so it doesn't start or stop sharp enough. It has enough power to bring them in and keep the light wire hooks pinned but hooking up will be tougher than when working the bait appropriately.

I throw a lot of Megabass jerkbaits, and try some of the lesser known ones that actually do better in my fisheries. (Coosa river trail/Alabama spotted bass and Largemouth) The SJ703 works X-80 and X-75 Nannahan incredibly well. The X-75 is a seriously incredible bait when you approach it with an open mind and fish it in places a 110 usually isn't taken out of the box. It is a year round effective part of my arsenal. I also find the SJ703 an amazing Ned rod.

Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: August 09, 2023 06:26PM

Sorry Norm...it is the SJ model.

Thank you so much.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 09, 2023 06:36PM

Would this rod we're discussing be appropriate for fishing 5/8 oz. Zara Spooks? I have a build upcoming for that purpose.

Posted by: Joel Babin (47.160.174.---)
Date: August 09, 2023 06:43PM

To add another NFC blank into the mix that might surprise people is the IM CB704. I cut two down to make jerkbait rods. They can throw small cranks, topwaters, etc. Good treble hook blank, crisp enough for jerkbaits and forgiving to handle fish surging at the boat. Take a look at the deflection curve on NFC's website. Really nice blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2023 11:11AM by Joel Babin.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: August 09, 2023 10:29PM

Joel Babin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To add another NFC blank into the mix that might
> surprise people is the IM CB704. I cut two down to
> made jerkbait rods. They can throw small cranks,
> topwaters, etc. Good treble hook blank, crisp
> enough for jerkbaits and forgiving to handle fish
> surging at the boat. Take a look at the deflection
> curve on NFC's website. Really nice blank.

Your cut-down IM CB704 is likely very close to my three inch cut St. Croix SCV70M. It’s pretty good at throwing 5/8 ounce jerkbaits, but excels in the 3/8-1/2 ounce realm. I use 10lb. fluorocarbon to get the casting distance and depth control. Heavier rods and lines snub casts and lure actions without getting past the power limitations the small hooks on these baits naturally possess. Even with switching to larger gap, short shanked hooks, I find the lighter rods and lines excel. This is where a custom rod build affords the opportunity to out fish the factory offerings.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2023 05:39PM

Lynn, the nice thing about bass sized walking baits, is that it doesn't take a lot of rod power to work them properly. While not built on any of the blanks being mentioned, I throw Sammy 100s and standard size Spooks on my jerkbait rod with no problem. CCS numbers for my jerkbait rod are IP 467, AA 71. The rod is 6'1" long. It fishes them great, and will cast them way beyond the distance I would feel comfortable actually fishing them.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: August 11, 2023 08:56PM

Thx. Dave I'll have more ?'s on this subject later.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 12, 2023 12:47AM

Patrick,
I have the G Loomis 4 popping blanks built in GL3 spinning and GLX casting, you're going to find some versatile rods there.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 15, 2023 04:11PM

Patrick Noll Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lance - On the P703 or you going HM or IM, or
> doesn't really matter, Interested in that, seems
> very light in both models. I prefer mono on
> topwater too.

I have actually done both. The HM seems a little crisper and that is what build on the most. I don't really use these in a strong current as in a river so you may benefit with slightly more powerful rod.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster