I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon grips for fuji VSS seat
Posted by: Ed Rose (---)
Date: October 31, 2022 08:49AM

Hi All, I'm putting a VSS 17 grip on my NFC SB 722 blank. I have a cork grip for it now but it seems carbon grips have some advantages. Is there a source/brand of carbon grips that you like for the VSS seat? BTW it will have a hidden hood SK2 lock nut. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon grips for fuji VSS seat
Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: October 31, 2022 10:07AM

If you haven't already , you might want to go to the NFC web site and open their carbon grips catalog . I built with a VSS 17 and have been very happy with the NFC carbon grips . It's my understanding that their soft touch grips are not available for the VSS 17 - just the standard carbon grips . Oh , be sure to scroll down through the entire catalog - some specific parts for Fuji are listed later in the catalog .
Ron

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 31, 2022 10:23AM

NFC is the only source I know of for a VSS 17 carbon fiber grip (NFCG608C01). They also have several CF hood sleeves that will fit the KSKSS/ASH hidden thread hood. CFX makes a matching CF stubby hood sleeve. NFC also makes a CF grip (NFCG611C01) and a soft touch CF grip (1K and 3K IPS3.75-2.0 Soft Touch) for the IPS seat. The IPS reel seat is very similar to the VSS 17, in that they both have the same OD. I’ve used and like all the CF fiber grips for both the VSS17 and IPS seats.
Norm

Posted by: Ed Rose (---)
Date: October 31, 2022 10:34AM

Thanks guys for the quick replies - in addition to the NFCG608C01 grip, I have the NFCG647C01 hood in my cart. In your experience will this hood just slip on over the SK2 hidden thread hood or does it require any fitting?

Also do these NFC parts listed need trim rings/winding checks or are they ready for use without any trim? hard to tell from the pictures what the ends look like. Also this is my first spinning rod build so thanks for your patience - there are just so many more choices than fly rods!

Posted by: John Nesse (---)
Date: October 31, 2022 10:46AM

The NFC parts are ready to use with no trim required. The only fitting required is reaming, and they ream very easily. It's a matter of personal preference, but I'm a big fan of the "soft touch" grips over the traditional carbon grips. However, last I checked the hood wasn't yet available in the soft touch finish.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: October 31, 2022 12:58PM

You can get CF hood sleeves that match the NFC soft touch CF grips. For the 1K NFC soft touch grip the American Tackle 3K matte G2 fore grip hood is a perfect match. For the 3K NFC grip the new Fuji perfect fit CTC carbon thread cover in matte twill is a perfect match, and you can use the perfect fit hardware with it for a little more bling.
Norm

Posted by: Ronald Atchley (96.125.236.---)
Date: October 31, 2022 07:56PM

Ed Rose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Also do these NFC parts listed need trim
> rings/winding checks or are they ready for use
> without any trim? hard to tell from the pictures
> what the ends look like. Also this is my first
> spinning rod build so thanks for your patience -
> there are just so many more choices than fly rods!

Ed,
What John said is true - the NFC parts will work fine without any bling . That said , and this is just me , but I liked the addition of a few Fuji perfect fit trim parts . I had the CF fighting butt and put a Fuji Butt Cap Ring ( BT29DS ) between the fighting butt and it's end cap. Norm Miller taught me how to do this by cutting a piece of arbor the thickness of the Fuji ring and gluing it to the flange on the end of the fighting butt . Then it's simple to add the ring and glue the end cap on . I also added Fuji perfect fit winding checks at the front of the fighting butt and back of the rear CF grip . I also slid a Fuji perfect fit Base Ring ( BR230DS ) over the KSKSS/ASH-17 before I put the foregrip cover sleeve on . On the forward end of the foregrip cover I put a Fuji perfect fit Cap Ring ( CREVD14S - you'll have too select the correct size for your blank ) . Only problem with the cap ring was having to ream the front of the fore grip to accept the flange on the CREVD. Again , Norm Miller was the guiding light through all of this . He is an amazing mentor and his knowledge of Fuji seems limitless . This may be way too much bling for you but everything fit like a glove and I was very pleased with the outcome .
Ron
As an after thought , the build I described was on a Point Blank PB701MLF and even with all the bling the final product weighed in at 3.7 ounces which might suggest that the added bling won't damage the rod's functioning particularly since the added weight is so far back . I didn't weigh the bling so can't say how much it actually added.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2022 09:21PM by Ronald Atchley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster