I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Go to guide
Posted by: David Luttig (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: September 02, 2022 08:54PM

What is your go to guide for a spinning setup for a bass rod build? I have been using lzr’s but have noticed the guides don’t always run perpendicular to the foot all the time. I like the price point but am not real happy with the quality of them, so I am on the hunt for a new brand of guides, that hopefully won’t break the bank.
Thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Go to guide
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: September 02, 2022 09:39PM

David,
Anything Fuji is top notch. In your spinning instance, KL-H reduction guides followed by KBs and KTs are arguably, but not deniably, unbeatable. Go with Alconite rings for the best bank-for-the-buck.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: September 02, 2022 09:44PM

I have been looking at the Fuji guides but seem the supply is pretty much non existent from multiple suppliers.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 02, 2022 09:51PM

My go to guides are PacBay Minimas or CRB SSR.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 03, 2022 06:03AM

David, I feel your pain as far as the availability of Fuji guides at this time. And actually it's been that way for a while now. Early this past year I ended up having to go with the LZR guides you mentioned for a spinning rod I built because I couldn't find the Fuji guides I wanted.

The LZR guides aren't horrible, but they aren't Fuji. I found that I had to do extensive guide prep with them that I don't have to do when using Fuji. From what I have read on this site, the Seaguide version of the Fuji KL guides are really nice. You may be able to find them in stock with some of the sponsors in the column to the left.

I would call them to ask if they have the sizes and quantities you want, in stock.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: September 03, 2022 07:51AM

Don’t overlook Batson as well as Sea guide. Both have very solid options

Date: September 03, 2022 07:54AM

Will Zirconia guides work with braided line? I’m guessing most major brand guides are designed to be used with the popular braid?

Posted by: Tim Scott (---)
Date: September 03, 2022 08:44AM

Regarding Fuji, I just had to order from three different suppliers to complete a couple guide trains in titanium guides. Bit of a scavenger hunt of late.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 03, 2022 09:18AM

Fuji guides are my first choice, SeaGuide guides my second. Rod builders Warehouse is the only place I know of that sells the SeaGuide XOHG guides, but their supply of them is quite spotty. There are numerous places that sell Fuji guides. Both VooDoo rods and the Rod Room appear to have the Fuji KL-H guides in stock.
Almost any type of ceramic guide will hold up to braid.
Norm

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 03, 2022 10:45AM

David

First choice Fuji. Second choice Batson / Alps / Forecast.

Also check Get Bit Outdoors (sponsor) for Fuji guides. I was recently in their shop and they filled almost all of my Fuji needs ! They also are a Batson dealer.

Rog

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 03, 2022 10:51AM

David

Almost forgot ! I also have used A T microwave guide sets with good results. I build spinning rods for Pennsylvania smallmouth and largemouth bass fishing.

Rog

Date: September 03, 2022 02:59PM

Not sure of the quality of the sea guides but I am impressed with the customer service. I called this morning hoping to hear a recording of their hours. Wasn’t available so I just hung up, no message left. About an hour later I got a call from them saying they missed my call and wondered if they could help. The gentleman was very helpful, answered my questions and even was going to call the factory to see if they had a certain tip top I was looking for. To top it all of, he gave me a coupon code for 40% off my next order.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: September 03, 2022 07:15PM

Zirconium is a superb ring material for use with braids.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: September 04, 2022 01:02AM

When one avoids all the hearsay and gets right down to the real nitty-gritty, ANY ceramic guide is “braid-proof”. They all offer enhanced this or that, but in the end, the final decision on which to choose is a compromise. Still on the top of the list for hardness, heat dissipation and polishing is SIC (although Fuji claims their Torsite polishes better). But SICs hardness equates to it being more brittle than other ceramics making it more prone to fracture and failure. Again, it all boils-down to personal preference = ultimate slipperiness or ultimate durability; only the rod builder can decide. Personally, I think Fuji’s Alconite (modified aluminum oxide) is the best bang-for-the-buck out there.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster