I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Guides for popping rods
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 11, 2022 05:58PM

Lynn, were those test casts made with the line pulling or pushing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 11, 2022 07:36PM

Michael, all I know is how far it goes with so much weight and what line. I leave all that push-pull stuff to the experts, Lol

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 13, 2022 07:35PM

If casting distance (or accuracy) are not valid measurements of a rod's practical utility then what in blazes ARE valid criteria for evaluating rod blanks? Don't say "hoop strength" or "recovery rate" or "damping". Nobody publishes data on the dynamic (not static) attributes of a rod blank - but the dynamic behavior of a rod blank is why savvy casting anglers BUY the dang things!

Date: September 14, 2022 07:21AM

Color is the most important attribute for selecting rod blanks. Just like with cars and trucks.

Date: September 14, 2022 10:42AM

I am interested in the Intrinsic Power, Action Angle, and Frequency of a variety of blanks, but I can't find any chart or source which reveals this information about rod blanks.Please suggest a site providing this information. I'm not interested in static information about blanks [except length and weight], since casting is a dynamic, not a static activity.

Date: September 15, 2022 06:20AM

Intrinsic power and action angle are static measurements which you can do yourself. As you obviously already know. Frequency (TNF) has been discussed on here for months and I repeat my offer to give instructions on how to easily test for it with equipment you most likely already have. My email address is open.

Anglers Resource gives power and action angle numbers on their blanks on their Point Blank site. Rainshadow gives numbers on their RX10 series. [www.dropbox.com]

Manufacturers know the numbers on most of their blanks and often will provide them if you ask.

Now quit whining and get to work.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: September 15, 2022 08:09AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Color is the most important attribute for
> selecting rod blanks. Just like with cars and
> trucks.

I agree with Mick on this point. All my blanks need to be PMS 433.
It also gives a subtle, yet striking, contrast my boat carpet.

Date: September 15, 2022 06:49PM

I appreciate the suggestion I run my own tests on rod blanks. Of course I could determine the Intrinsic Power, Action Angle, and Frequency of thousands of blanks, but that would require me to buy and pay for all these blanks, wouldn't it? Say . . . all you folks who suggest I run my own tests on hundreds of blanks I buy myself wouldn't happen to be rod-blank manufacturers or advertisers - would you?

Date: September 15, 2022 07:43PM

No, Phil, I am not a manufacturer or advertiser. I'm not that evil. I am just a curious, intelligent, creative, rod builder with initiative. Like most on this forum. But not all.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---)
Date: September 16, 2022 04:29AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
> No, Phil, I am not a manufacturer or advertiser.
> I'm not that evil. I am just a curious,
> intelligent, creative, rod builder with
> initiative. Like most on this forum. But not
> all.

You and others like Tom have tried to explain it to him over and over. The problem here is that no matter how well you explain it to him you cannot understand it for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2022 11:30AM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: September 16, 2022 09:51AM

Terry K. - Please define the "it" is in your post, because whatever "it" is seems to be the bone of contention. I have no idea what the "it" is. Apparently "it" is a thing or a group of things rather than an idea? If you know what the "it" you refer actually IS, please educate an "ignorant troll" [me] and explain how the crucial "it" in rod blanks can be found and measured. And if not measurable with numbers then how? Thank you for your time. I hope the DYNAMIC [not static] qualities of rods and blanks can be measured and reported BEFORE purchase - so rod buyers and builders don't have to buy blanks to find out if they are what they want! [Don't bother with trolling or bait fishing rods.]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2022 11:09AM by Phil Ewanicki.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: September 16, 2022 11:22AM

"You have to pass it to find out what's in it." LOL

Date: September 16, 2022 12:06PM

Phil, there is not now and there will never be a single data base source for all dynamic and static numbers on all the rods and blanks. That's final. Never. So can we just face up to this fact in an adult fashion (the world is not perfect) and get on with our lives without the constant whining? There is nothing to be gained by carrying it on.

However, there is a business opportunity for you here. YOU CAN START A BUSINESS TO MEASURE THE THOUSANDS OF RODS AND BLANKS, PROBABLY TENS OF THOUSHANDS, AND SELL THE DATA FOR A HANDSOME FEE. The opportunity you've always wanted in a field you are passionate about. And that lacks the data that everyone will pay dearly for.

Please keep me posted.

Date: September 16, 2022 12:22PM

Oops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2022 12:22PM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: September 16, 2022 01:08PM

There is one little problem with Michaels suggestion , Phil doesn't want to buy all the blanks to do the testing, that's what he's trying to avoid. He much prefers you to purchase the blanks for him .

Date: September 16, 2022 04:37PM

But with the gigantic fees he will receive he can afford to purchase them. Don't discourage this budding entrepreneur.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.cust.tzulo.com)
Date: September 16, 2022 06:07PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
> I am interested in the Intrinsic Power, Action
> Angle, and Frequency of a variety of blanks, but I
> can't find any chart or source which reveals this
> information about rod blanks.Please suggest a site
> providing this information. I'm not interested in
> static information about blanks [except length and
> weight], since casting is a dynamic, not a static
> activity.

Got to love the confused people that talk about "dynamic measurements." But what the H does that mean? A rod will blank will have the same length, weight, action, power, etc. whether it is static or in movement. To understand how the rod will act dynamically you need measurements that are taken statically. Maybe Phil can enlighten us just what a "dynamic measurement" is and what the measuring process for them would be?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 16, 2022 07:17PM

All I know is, by the time this gets resolved we'll all be long dead!

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ip-54-39-133.net)
Date: September 16, 2022 07:34PM

I want to hear from Phil --- if the static length of a rod is seven feet long, what is its dynamic length and how do I measure it? If the static weight of a rod is one and one half ounce, what is its dynamic weight and how do I measure that? If the rod's static action is fast, what is it's dynamic action and how do I measure that? And if the rod's deadlift strength is capable of 20lbs what can it lift dynamically? If the rod has X amount of static power, what amount of power does it have dynamically? Let's knock off the smoke and mirrors and get down to it.What exactly is a "dynamic" measurement???

Date: September 17, 2022 08:50AM

One dynamic measurement is True Natural Frequency. If anyone wants the process all they have to do is email me.

Of course what the number means and what its significance is could start another multi-page string of complaining, pontificating, conjecture, and both valid and invalid opinions.

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster