I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Brushy Stream Tout rod
Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---)
Date: August 25, 2022 05:37PM

Hello,
I'm looking to build a rod for brushy stream trout fishing (mostly stocked Bows). Would like to cut something down to about 4'10" and would like Glass. This will be for throwing small lures ( 1/20th-1/8th). I've eyeballing the Jannsnetcraft Eglass as well as the Batson SPG blanks. Which or these do you think would be the most suitable? Are their other budget glass options?

I'm also looking at an Ameriglass blank, but that might be a bit much for Bush whacking.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brushy Stream Tout rod
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: August 25, 2022 07:29PM

Derrick,
With your stated lure weights, it appears you definitely are looking for an UL blank and prefer FG. While there are a number of new FG blanks available, consider building and fishing a part of history with a NOS 1960s Conolon blank; Conolon invented the process to build tubular FG cloth blanks (the same basic process employed today even for CF blanks) and I will put any of them up against any modern offering. Although they can be built in their sanded finish condition, a coat of PG allows the brown weave of the FG to really pop and makes for a beautiful rod build.
I have built quite a few ULs from Conolon blanks, but usually prefer 6 - 7.5 feet. I have 6’3” blanks in stock (my go-to UL choice) but also have access to blanks down to 4ft, even an almost perfect fit for your specifications = 4’9”, .8oz. You may be quite surprised how reasonably priced these vintage blanks are. If interested further, email me.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: August 25, 2022 08:34PM

Emailed.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 25, 2022 10:48PM

There are solid, and tubular ice rod blanks that would fit your needs as well; Best of all, they're a breeze to navigate through heavy brush.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.140.---)
Date: August 26, 2022 07:23AM

The NFC fast glass blanks are really sweet, maybe trim one of them.

Date: August 26, 2022 10:27AM

I have the light powered one for Bass. I'm going to take it out and see how it handles trout. I think it may have a bit too much power though.

Posted by: Tim Scott (---.source.akaquill.net)
Date: August 26, 2022 12:44PM

Shane at Graywolf did a run of short spinning blanks. Not sure if he has them for sale as blanks or not. Not cheap but tailored to your application

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 26, 2022 01:08PM

I've been using a FS51 1 piece Fenwick rod for your scenario for 50 years, being 5' 1", rated 1 to 4 lb. line, I don't think has deterred me one little bit. Looking at the tip and butt diameters and line and lure ratings between the SPG 601 and 661, it could be already a shortened 661 blank. Again, I don't think the extra 2 inches will harm anything. I have never seen or used a Jann's Netcraft blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2022 01:21PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 26, 2022 03:48PM

We have sold many of the SPG601, SPg720, and SPG721.
Some use them for UL spin, but they also make up to a nice 2/3 wt fly rod.
Their moderate action is very friendly to cast and fun to catch fish on.

Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: August 26, 2022 03:58PM

I have an old Fenwick SP601 blank that my grandfather started building decades ago. But it needs a new ferrule, that is beyond my skill. Still on the long side, but it seems to be in the ball park, power wise.
Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been using a FS51 1 piece Fenwick rod for
> your scenario for 50 years, being 5' 1", rated 1
> to 4 lb. line, I don't think has deterred me one
> little bit. Looking at the tip and butt diameters
> and line and lure ratings between the SPG 601 and
> 661, it could be already a shortened 661 blank.
> Again, I don't think the extra 2 inches will harm
> anything. I have never seen or used a Jann's
> Netcraft blank.

Date: August 26, 2022 07:21PM

When I had enough money saved, I made $60 a pay period as an E-2, I started buying Fenwick rods at the exchange, first one was your FS61, 1 to 6 line, 1/16 to 1/4 oz. 2 piece with a Mitchell 308, then an FS83 spinning 6 to 17 lb. line steelhead rod with an Abu Cardinal 4, the FS51 on a whim, really didn't need it with the 61 except for the close brushy stuff. A lot of people only use Carbon, but glass slows everything down and gives you the timing to do some much fancier presentations and sometimes that's all that catches the fish. Still own all 3.

Date: August 26, 2022 08:02PM

The timing thing is partly why I like the idea of glass. I bought a 5 ft 6 inch Okuma Celilo...figured 30 bucks wouldn't kill me. Immediately cut stock guides off and put a hodgepodge of Fuji single foot casting guides, spiral wrapped and went to fish the Deschutes at a few parks on thr north side of Bend. The rod was on the stiff side and pitching while peaking out of bushes was difficult. I usually fish up on the Breitenbush, wading or peaking out of brush. Don't need to cast far and the largest trout I've seen out of there was an 18 inch Rainbow, which I've never seen before or since.

Date: August 27, 2022 01:03AM

Know each place well, used to own property in Sisters, Breitenbush Arm is my favorite place to fish Detroit Lake. Dan Craft showed me some places up there years ago, but I haven't been back since I got married, 16 years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster