I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Line Spooler
Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 25, 2022 11:56AM

Can anyone recommend an economical fly line spooler?

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Line Spooler
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: August 25, 2022 12:30PM

I use the Reel E Good winder and have for years. Does everything I need. Less than $100.00

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 25, 2022 04:38PM

Is a fly line spooler used to wind fly lines onto spools for storage or to wind fly lines onto reels - or both?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 25, 2022 07:17PM

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: August 26, 2022 05:46PM

Robert,
If you have a power wrapper, you are set.

Simply use the power wrapper to wrap the line on the line spool.

It may be very beneficial to have a reverse on your power wrapper in case you have to wrap the other direction.

Or, simply take a cordless drill and put the line spool on the end of a bolt that you chuck into your cordless drill and wrap the line in a couple of minutes.

Don't overt think this.
------------------------------------------------
[globalflyfisher.com]

-------------------------------------------------
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

---------------------------------------------
[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 26, 2022 06:00PM

p.s.
Any more, when it comes to putting line on a spinning reel, I make it very simple. I simply put the spool on a bolt with washers and nuts on each side and chuck it into the power wrapper or a corded or cordless drill. Then, I put a spool of line on a pencil. I turn on the wrapper or drill and pull the line off of the supply spool of line and wrap it onto the spinning reel spool.

People will say that this method will result in twists and cause other issues.

I agree that they are 100% correct.

So, on a newly filled spinning reel spool, I will just let the line off the reel with no terminal tackle on it on the way to the fishing grounds on the first time that I am going to use the line. I let the line drag through the water for an 1/8th of a mile or so. Then, I stop the boat, and keeping the tip of the rod in the water, reel the line back on the reel. This method will put the line onto the spool 100% correctly and you will have no twists in the line, until enough fishing has transpired where the difference between casting, retrieving the line and catching fish results in line twist again - that is 100% inevitable that it will happen again. It may be a short time or it may be a long time. But, it WILL happen. No worry, just repeat the line in the water with no terminal tackle on the end of the line and pull the line for a good distance and then reel the line back on the reel. Again, the line - with nothing tied onto the end of the line - will be removed from the friction of the water and the tension of the line caused by the line in the water drag will supply the perfect tension on the line for a nice job of line packing on the spool.

Sure, there are a million different suggestions and or machines, etc. that are reputed to minimize line twist. But, eventually - every line on a spinning reel that is being used will eventually twist and you will need to remove the twists and then reel the line back onto the reel.

The dragging the line through the water for a good distance with nothing tied onto the end of the line - will eliminate the twist that has been placed into the line.

Be safe

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (185.187.243.---)
Date: August 26, 2022 09:09PM

Robert,
If you're talking about hoe to store lines not in use - I do the following:
I insert a dowel ( or pencil or pen) into the factory spool and simply "slap" the spool to wind the line onto the factory spool.
I wind it so head is on top so I can see the flyline marks indicating the line weight.
Herb

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 27, 2022 04:04PM

Roger, they are talking about a fly line spooler.

Date: August 27, 2022 05:13PM

I realize that.
Thanks for the update.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 28, 2022 08:09AM

I can wind a 90 foot fly line onto a single action reel in less than 30 seconds (assuming there's some backing on the spool) - but I have never had to spool ten or twenty fly reels in a row. By now there are likely 1/2 h.p. electric fly line spoolers for sale?

Date: August 28, 2022 03:58PM

Here is a nice reasonably priced winder for fly fishing line:

[www.amazon.com]

If you wish, you could make an adapter for the drive shaft by removing the manual handle and use a variable speed cordless drill to wrap the line in under 20 seconds.

Best wishes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster