I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Wrap strength
Posted by: Steve Chontos (---.delta.com)
Date: August 25, 2022 10:40PM

If the epoxy is not absorbed into "non treated" thread, why does the non treated thread change colors when epoxy is applied?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: August 25, 2022 11:47PM

It is absorbed into the thread, but not into the nylon fibers that make up the thread. Nylon is not like organic fibers that may absorb fluids.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2022 09:15AM

Isn’t it the same for fiberglass, and carbon fibers?
Norm

Date: August 26, 2022 10:52AM

yes

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 26, 2022 07:01PM

Nylon mono filament line absorbs water.

Posted by: Robert Flowers (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 27, 2022 02:32AM

I just read several; articles on polymers, including nylon, and their interactions with different kinds of epoxy. One of them even gave explanations of how carbon nanotubes could be added, nd how it increased tensile, shear strength, modulus, and flexibility when applied to the resin/carbon fiber substrate wound onto a mandrel, especially when micr-combed. In all cases, the articles srated tgat certain epoxie do penetrate into the nylon, forming a chemical lattice. So yes, epoxies can absorb into nylon, silks, and other polymers.

Tight Lies and frisky fish

RJF

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 27, 2022 06:31AM

How about showing us the links to the articles on polymers?

Posted by: Kent Griffith (---)
Date: August 27, 2022 07:25AM

Robert Flowers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> cases, the articles srated tgat certain epoxie do
> penetrate into the nylon, forming a chemical
> lattice. So yes, epoxies can absorb into nylon,
> silks, and other polymers.

I'd like to see proof of this as well. It seems to me this thread has an issue with what the term absorption means or how far it goes. Just because a ball of fuzz can absorb some liquid by capillary action does not mean the liquid is also being absorbed into the substrate materials or chemically altering them for the attachment. Surface attachment is far different than molecular reconstruction.

If there is a chemical connection or lattice as claimed, this would mean the epoxy is physically altering the substrate by chemical reaction for better adhesion is how this is coming across, yet from my own experiences over decades I have never personally seen an epoxy join with the substrate as one from two. I have always seen 2 simply side by side and separable to some degree.

Adhesion is always an issue, but generally, the softer and more flexible an epoxy is after curing will have greater surface adhesion than epoxies that cure super hard. Those tend to flake off down the road.- without showing any chemical lattices when the flaking off begins.

So I'd really like to see proof of this claim that epoxy breaks down substrate materials like nylon and polymers- but NOT silks- and joins with them as one.

We gotta keep it straight... are we dealing with chemical reconstruction and reactions between epoxy and substrate materials becoming as one, or simple surface adhesion with capillary action making it appear something more is going on?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 27, 2022 08:09AM

Bottom line: Does it hold guides firmly in place?

Date: August 27, 2022 04:46PM

[www.deepdyve.com]

[www.sciencedirect.com]

[www.researchgate.net]
'
Spoiler; can be dry reading.

RJF

Date: August 27, 2022 05:36PM

Mono filament is nor nylon

Date: August 27, 2022 06:11PM

Depending on the type of nylon, it can be extruded into many different forms, as in monofilament nylon fishing line, fly tying threads, guide wrapping threads, as a base for rod blank construction, etc. Phil, are you a mechanical engineer? nylon/carbon resins are even used to make helicopter rotor blades, aircraft wings, car body panels, etc. How can you say that nylon can't be monofilament? Yes there are other monofilaments out there, Kevlar, GSP, fluorocarbon, etc. nylon is certainly a monofilament option.

RJF

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 27, 2022 07:00PM

Assuming nor means not..... you might want to look up what we commonly refer to as mono filament line, is made of.

It's extruded nylon.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 27, 2022 07:27PM

Robert, thank you for the references. However, I'm not sure that what is covered in them is relevent to the wrap discussion since the "epoxy" that is used for wrap finish is a casting resin and not really "epoxy."

But I'm not qualified to judge. I don't understand the technology that well. I asked for the references since it is easy for different people to interpret scientific papers and their conclusions differently. So I wanted to see them.

The third paper on nanotube/nylon composites is interesting , but simply covers a special type of composite, not whether nylon is affected/influenced/absorptive of epoxy. thanks again.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster