I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod recommendation
Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: August 17, 2022 08:30PM

I have never built a fly rod a friend wants me to build one for saltwater fishing for bluefish, mahi-mahi would like 9 ft, 2 or 3 pieces any recommendations of blank and reel seat and guides thanks for any and all help in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod recommendation
Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.176.90.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 18, 2022 06:39AM

Contact Herb Ladenhelm, he represents CTS out of New Zeland.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2022 06:41AM by Mark Hahn.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 18, 2022 07:55AM

Most fly blanks today come in 4 piece versions which travel much better than 2 piece or even 3 piece. . Their actions are excellent even though 4 piece. Doubt if you could find any deficiencies.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (45.141.121.---)
Date: August 18, 2022 11:37AM

Mark,
Thank you.

David,
CTS has many designs that are available but not noted on their site. Some may be 2 or 3 piece.
I'll check with the factory and get back to you.

Does your customer favor a Fast / Extra Fast action - or one more Moderate? All that means is that the Faster blank will stop flexing more toward the tip. The more Moderate blank will flex farther into the blank. Neither is better or worse - depends on customers prefefences.

If your customer is talking about Bull Mahi-Mahi - he should consider at least a #9.
But CTS blanks have such a low swing-weight that a #10 should also be considered.

As far as components: my go-to company is REC. I like their Nickel/Titanium alloy single foot guides that will never discolor or rust in saltwater. Their ceramic Cerecoil guides for the Stripper are also excellent - and resonably priced.
To me the REC RSLL is a no nonense reel seat that holds any reel very securely.

Be back to you later with more info.
Regards,
Herb
CTS Rep

I'll be

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: August 18, 2022 11:43AM

Mudhole's Traditional Series MHX make 2 piece fly blanks. F910-2 would be their 10 wt., they start around 3 wt. I believe and go up from there.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: August 18, 2022 12:09PM

I would recommend snake guides, which pass line snarls and "wind knots" more easily than ring guides. A #30 Dorado on a #20 leader with a "wind knot" in your line could easily take the tip section of your rod with him before he broke off . . .

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---)
Date: August 18, 2022 06:03PM

Phil, how many times hae you seen a wind knot in a fly "line"?

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: August 18, 2022 06:12PM

thanks herb i will ask him these questions

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2022 06:31PM

Phil, you beat me to it..I was going to ask him the same thing..lol. I can,t remember the last 30# Dorado I hooked in Maryland..lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2022 06:40PM by ben belote.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (45.141.121.---)
Date: August 18, 2022 08:52PM

David,
CTS has the following blanks to chose from in 2 or 3 pieces;

Affinity-X 9'0" #9 3 piece

Affinity-MX 9'0" #9 2 piece
Affinity-MX 9'0" #9 3 piece

Afinity-X 9'0" #10 2piece
Affinity X 9'0" #10 3 piece

Affinity-MX 9'0" #10 2 piece

The Affinity-X and the Affinity-MX have the same tip.
The Affinity-X has a stiffer mid and butt section.
The Affinity-MX has a more moderate mid and butt section.

Both have very light swing weights.

Let me know if any of these interest you and I will forward my RB.Org special pricing.
Herb

Date: August 19, 2022 10:29AM

Phil: how many times have you seen wind knots in a fly line leader? How often have you casted weight flies?

Date: August 19, 2022 07:36PM

Wind knots? Not as often in the leader as in the line, especially if I do any roll casting. I have been casting weighted flies off and on since around 1956. I dislike casting weighted flies. I would rather cast a sinking line and use a short leader. And you?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster