I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing Tip Top
Posted by: Phil Haseltine (---.esr.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2003 10:50PM

Let's try my first post again now that I have read the owner's manual and included my last name as required. I am trying to remove a tip top installed with Flex Coat Five Minute Epoxy. Notwithstanding the advice in Tom Kirkman's book, heat applied with a butane lighter hasn't worked. I would rather not shorten the blank by an inch and am afraid that applying too much pressure while heating the tip will damage the blank. Suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing Tip Top
Posted by: Eden Bromfield (---.dial.mtl1.sprint-canada.net)
Date: June 10, 2003 11:13PM

If heat will not remove that tip top then you have a problem.
You could try again with an alcohol lamp this time, being careful to keep the flame moving under the tip top for a very short period of time.
Be warned though, that the over zealous application of heat can melt and ruin your rod. If this still fails, then I see no alternative but to cut the tip, and this will likely change the handling characteristics of the rod, if the amount removed is as much as an inch.
Personally I always use a hot melt glue stick to install tip tops specifically to avoid the sort of problems that you are now having.
Good luck!

Posted by: Eden Bromfield (---.dial.mtl1.sprint-canada.net)
Date: June 10, 2003 11:27PM

I forgot to add in my last post that if you try again with heat, be sure to pull the tip top directly away from the rod. Do not twist it.
If by chance you soften the resins in the rod, twisting can ruin the blank!

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 11, 2003 12:58AM

On obstinate and difficult to remove tops I will usually grind them off instead of exposing the rod to heat from a flame. The bland will fail quickly and suddenly if overheated. Grind a "slit" the length of the tip-top tube being careful not to go too deep. Usually the top will looses well before the slit completely cut from end to end. Use macking tape to protect the blank.

I use a small 4" grind wheel on a drill press for this. A dremel tool will work well too.

Lou

Posted by: John DeMartini (65.203.9.---)
Date: June 11, 2003 08:53AM

Phil,

I would avoid using heat to remove the tip, no matter how careful we are it is difficult to control the amount of heat applied to the part. Lou has the right Idea. Grind it off, I have been very successful using a Dremmel with a stone disc cutting wheel. I make many slight (to avoid heat bildup) passes along the length of the tube until I see a faint crack line in the metal, I repeat this process 180 degrees from the origional cut. Then I carefull pry the sides apart. This process is slow but effective and safe. After all how many times does this happen. Invest the time and be safe.

John

Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (---.0.96.205.adsl.snet.net)
Date: June 11, 2003 11:36PM

I have removed a tip top guide that was epoxied with Flex Coat rod bond (5 minute epoxy), using a butane barbecue lighter. I've been told that the heat from a lighter is nowhere near the temperature that a graphite rod is baked at, so not to worry about hurting the rod. After applying heat for a minute or so, I twisted the tip tip guide off, buffed the rod tip, and applied another tip top. Sorry to disagree with the others, but my experience worked OK.

Posted by: Phil Haseltine (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 12, 2003 11:30PM

Thanks for all of the advice. I opted for the Dremmel and cutting disk. Working slowly, as advised, I was able to remove the tip top with no damage to the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster