I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Composite / Flocking Grip Cores
Posted by: Bill Falconer (67.66.233.---)
Date: January 21, 2008 11:42AM

Attached is a pic of a few different options for composite and flocked grip cores. On the bottom left is a grip I poured and turned for a new Fuji ACS Skeleton with 8lb. Urethane Pour Foam from U.S. Composites. For comparison, above are two Flex Coat arbors (the light colored ones) in sizes 16 and 18 and four arbor 'blanks' I have been getting from Bob McKamey at Custom Tackle.

These arbor blanks are very light - on my old balance they are slighter lighter in the same length and diameter than the 8 lb. pour foam but slightly heavier than the Flex Coat arbors. I am going to borrow a buddy's digital reloading scale to get some hard numbers but have not had the chance yet. They feel the same as the old Fuji arbors in weight.

The urethane pour foam is a lot of fun and definitely works. However, these other arbor 'blanks' or sticks have some serious advantages in my book. First, the surface is a much finer finish...almost totally smooth if you sand down to 400 grit. Both the Flex Coat and the pour foam arbors have a definite surface texture / porousity - regardless of how fine you sand them. This porous surface is not enough to affect flocking and certainly doesn't impact the composite skin process, but it is a noticeable characteristic.

Second, the arbor blanks are very, very hard. Harder than the 8 lb. pour foam and much, much harder than the Flex Coat arbors. I cannot break one of these or dent it with my thumbnail. I can easily snap an FC arbor and can snap the 8 lb. pour foam with some effort. They are so hard in fact that I have been using them with no finish whatsoever (no skin or flocking) for almost a year now. They make great grips, butts, arbors, hosels, etc. They can easily be glued together to get a fly rod grip or longer butt or fore grip. The only downside to this hardness is that they turn more like burl cork or soft wood than the normal arbors or pour foam. To me it's worth it but beware.

Finally, these arbor sticks are dark grey. This is a real advantage to me if you have to dress your composite skinned grip ends to the point that some of the core may show through (shouldn't be necessary but more on that later). Also nice if you want to flock part but not all of your grip surface. The part left showing through is very durable and attractive.

I'm not sure who makes these but Custom Tackle has them and other sponsors might as well. I will continue to use the pour foam for most of my composite skinned grips, but for bare grips and flocked grips these arbor sticks are the way to go in my opinion.

Any questions or feedback welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster