I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

35MM canister method of blank coloring
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2001 02:05PM

hello again everyone as always thanks for all the info!

Im ready to color my matte grey blank ive settled on Varithane 900 with artist oil color added to get my color
Thank you Mr O Quinn from a post back in june!

Ive tried using the sponge brush method and it was pretty good but I found it hard to get the color even and dark enough,

I then tried my airbrush with better success but Im not that skilled yet so I ended up with some areas that were sprayed a bit heavy,

this brings me to the 35mm film canister method which appears to work as a mini dip tank of sorts?

my question is do you pull blank up through the canister and how fast ?or does one pull blank down through letting the rubber act as a sqeegie. any info will be a big help!!

many Thanks "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 35MM canister method of blank coloring
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: November 29, 2001 04:38PM

You need to go down through the rubber (tip first) so that excess finish is removed. Otherwise you are really doing the same thing as dipping the rod, which considering you are using the Varithane is not necessarily a bad way to go.

We will have plans on how to make this type applicator in an issue of RodMaker next year. Not yet sure which issue it will run in though. Just so much material on hane and so much to cover. Hard to get as much in as I would like, but stay with us and we'll get it all in there over time.

Posted by: Clyde Dent (162.39.169.---)
Date: November 29, 2001 05:27PM

I saw a similar method in a book called The Best Of The Planing Form which utilizes a glass jar cut in half and a finger cut from a latex glove stretched over one of the openings. This really sounds interesting for someone (like me) wanting to dip a bamboo blank without the hassle of building a more elaborate dip tube. Thanks.

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 29, 2001 06:55PM

If I were you I would e mail Todd at lamiglas. Lamiglas uses a meathod simalar to what you want to do. I do know they use real real rubber rubber with a pin in it to remove excess finish. I have taken a latex glove that I am wearing and put finish in the palm of it and rub down from the tip. I grip the rod tightly when doing this . Then I hang the rod from the tip.
Good luck Bob

Posted by: Jojo D (---.dial-up.ipa.net)
Date: December 01, 2001 03:36PM

The difficulty I found in using this method is getting a controlled movement of the tube down the blank. It is very nerve wracking trying to move that little tube at something that approximates a controlled rate. You're either trying to go too fast, or too slow, not to mention that with the blank hung at an appropriate working height that you are either going to have to reach to begin with, or stoop over towards the end, neither of which is conducive to maintaining a controlled rate of movement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster