I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Firs rod build, need help.
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 30, 2022 04:30PM

Building on the straightest axis doesn't take the spine of the blank into consideration at all. And as Aaron pointed out, there is really no reason to find out where the spine of the blank is. It's not going to affect casting performance or fish landing performance.

As others have said, the Fuji KR concept guide software for spinning rods is about as good and as easy as it gets when it comes to setting up a spinning rod guide train. The only glitch in it is that it recommends to few running guides. Follow Norman's suggestions to a tee and you will have a rod that casts better than any NRX or Destroyer could ever hope to.

As far as the length of the fore grip goes. If you're really concerned about it, you don't really need to use a fore grip. Personally I install all of my spinning reel seat as down locking. I then use a small .... I call it a nub, made out of EVA to cap the end of the thread barrel. I turn it down so that it matches the OD of the thread barrel. Doing so lets me trim the length of the thread barrel down so that when I put on or take off the reel, the reel seat nut will pass over the nub. I linked a picture to the set up I use in case it's something you think you might want to consider.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dee Rama (---)
Date: June 30, 2022 06:13PM

Got it! Thanks a lot for all the help.

as it stands: fuji vss with hidden thread hood, all in carbon fiber, possibly cut down cork foregrip, KL16H, KL8H, KL5.5M + 5 or 6 runners (fuji T2 black titanium)

anyone have an idea of possible rod weight with 1.1oz blank?

Ones again THANK YOU ALL!

Posted by: Stan Daubinawski (---.sub-174-250-10.myvzw.com)
Date: June 30, 2022 06:24PM

Here is the NFC Soft Touch IPS 1K Grip with the KSKSS Hidden Hood and an AT G2 Uni-Lock ForeGrip
[imgur.com]

Posted by: Dee Rama (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 30, 2022 07:42PM

order is in NFCG644C0, NFCB001C01, NFCG602C01
will order cork vss grip from mudhole as well.
Thanks.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 30, 2022 07:52PM

The titanium guide set will weigh about 4 grams or so. The VSS16 seat, arbors, and soft touch CF handle set similar to that shown above by Stan will weigh about 44 grams. So guides and grip will be about 50 grams or about 1.75 oz. This does not include the weight of thread or epoxy. The total weight of the completed rod will probably be a little over 3 oz, but less than 4 oz.
Norm

Date: June 30, 2022 08:13PM

looks like I am going to use cork foregrip and trim it down to reel seat after all or use "nub" David came up with. somehow I am stuck on below 3oz build.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 30, 2022 09:30PM

Good luck, I'm taking the over, but you might make it with care.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 01, 2022 08:30AM

When making decisions regarding weight vs ergonomics I always go with ergonomics. It's easy to get a good ergonomic rod built at blank weight + 2 ounces, and for most rods that's going to work just fine. You get a lot of conflicting opinions on forums. One person you can trust is Norman Miller.

Regarding reel seat shims, rigid polyurethane shims are about as light as it gets and work perfectly. Don't skimp on epoxy. Most factory rod failures that I've seen are loose reel seats caused by skimping on epoxy.

Most beginners agonize over reel seat placement. Since seats vary in geometry, it's reel position that you are really talking about. Use the same reel position relative to the butt on your build as you have on a rod you have fished a lot with and like. If that dimension gets too long the rod butt can hang up on your elbow crook when going from low to high and vice versa.

Use the library on this forum for a lot of good info. Start here: [www.rodbuilding.org] Don't forget the ID of the reel seat. Easy to do with a piece of shotgun cleaning rod with a piece of ScotchBrite in the patch slot.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: July 01, 2022 08:57AM

Dee,

I will be surprised if your rod ends up at more than 3.5oz without reel.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: July 01, 2022 09:29AM

The regular NFC carbon fiber grips you are getting are lighter than the NFC soft touch CF grips. The total weight of your handle/reel seat setup will be about 34 grams. Therefore, guides plus grip plus arbor will be about 38 - 40 gm, or about 1.4 oz. Thread and finish will be somewhere between 1 to 2 gm. So you should be close to being at 3 oz to maybe slightly below for the completed rod. For your information, the IPS reel seat is about 3 gm lighter than the VSS16 reel seat.
Norm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2022 09:47AM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: Aaron Petersen (12.144.64.---)
Date: July 01, 2022 10:45AM

A MB736 x-ray cut to 6'10" with soft touch splits, VSS16 with hidden thread and the aluminum trim CF nut assembly (for looks), same guide train but in CC Alconite guides weighed at 3.9oz The blank at full size is listed as 2oz.

This is what my estimate is based from with the lighter rod and lighter guides.

Norman,
I need to start being more precise and measuring everything. I think that is the next step in my rod building evolution. Thank you for your data. There is never a doubt when you share your inputs.

Date: July 01, 2022 11:06AM

I am ordering cork vss foregrip as well. Will trim it down up to curves on reel seat and see if I can save weight vs NFC carbon fiber foregrip. Maybe trim down seat thread a bit as well. also decided to go with fuji torzite guides.
or may change set up to IPS all together. worst case scenario skeleton seat.

Date: July 01, 2022 11:10AM

Aaron - I only weigh components when someone wants to know the weight and I have the components in question on hand. For the most part I don’t worry or even care much about weight, I just build to suit my preferences. I find that the rods I build are all sufficiently light enough and perform very well. A few grams here and there is not a big deal to me. If I hadn’t been asked I wouldn’t have known the soft touch grips are heavier than the regular CF grips, or the VSS16 seat is heavier than the IPS seat. These are things I don’t even think about until asked.

Norm

Date: July 01, 2022 11:24AM

Dee - You will never be able to tell the difference in weight or performance of the rod by subtracting a few extra grams from your grip. The only thing you might do is to make the rod less comfortable to fish with. In my opinion, the weight of the grip is not as important to performance as is the weight in front of the grip.
Norm

Date: July 01, 2022 11:43AM

agree... I also believe lighter rod will make it more sensitive. Most sensitivity is my priority follow by comfortability. I am hoping it'l be my go to Sheepshead rod... can't hook them up no matter what I do, I can't sleep well at this point. :)

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 01, 2022 01:31PM

As long as neither the handle nor the tip-top is loose a rod with the same input will cast to the same spot - any rod.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 01, 2022 04:17PM

Dee,
Are you referring to saltwater, bottom fishing for Sheepshead?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: July 01, 2022 04:31PM

yes.., shore, pass, bridge, jetty.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: July 01, 2022 07:21PM

Dee,
While the Sheepshead on the East coast are visually different from those out here on the left coast, I do not know if their feeding habits are different as well. In SoCal, simply put a frozen shrimp on a 2 - 2.0 hook with enough weight to hold bottom, wait for a tug, and then simply reel them up. For a rod of this sort, I do not understand the obsession with the lightest weight. I often use an old FG Conolon built as a Calico / Yellowtail rod which weighs 11oz; my dedicated bottom rods are heavier than that.
There are those who consider SH fine cuisine but I find it rather mushy and flavorless. But the black and bright red males out here do look rather stunning compared to the striped versions elsewhere.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: July 01, 2022 08:26PM

I was referring to Gulf Coast Sheepshead. I find it difficult to catch.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster