I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: any benefit to high build epoxy
Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2022 12:24AM

Rod building is a hobby to me not work so there is nothing to minimize just maximize..I will not let it become work, if it does, it,s over and I,ll do something else, maybe ty more strange bass bugs..lol.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2022 07:53AM

Also, no amount of winding tension is going to hold and stabilize single foot guide like the forhan locking wrap, the greatest invention in rod building since hooks..lol.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 25, 2022 08:56AM

Manufacturers of rod blanks go to great lengths to produce the lightest, most sensitive, most responsive rod blanks for savvy rod builders. A significant number of rod builders cover these rod banks with large and often multi-layered decorative thread windings and layers of finish. Even in rod-building priorities differ?!

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (172.58.99.---)
Date: May 25, 2022 09:54AM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Manufacturers of rod blanks go to great lengths to
> produce the lightest, most sensitive, most
> responsive rod blanks for savvy rod builders. A
> significant number of rod builders cover these rod
> banks with large and often multi-layered
> decorative thread windings and layers of finish.
> Even in rod-building priorities differ?!

I think coming from a fly rod perspective we will look more at the pure performance aspect of a rod. A lot of rod builders do it to show off their art skills and don't really concern themselves with the performance aspect other than what the manufacturer of the blank suggest for guide spacing. I believe there can be a balance of both if the weight of the decoration doesn't exceed or affect the potential for performance. The offshore rod builder can really shine here because weight is typically not going to be an issue, they can go to town on weaves and underwraps. The rods I see that are most affected by "over decoration" would be fly rods and inshore lake and bay rods.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 25, 2022 12:56PM

Lance,
I am in the category of building tools for fishing called great fishing rods.
I like to produce a great looking tool that is clean, well wrapped, light, functional, comfortable and has a minimum of decoration.

These rods appearance make 0 difference in its ability to catch a fish. As a matter of fact, a rod that looks like an art gallery - beautiful though it is- but gains significant weight - will catch fish with less sensitivity and comfort and efficiency than a rod that is identical but with less weight due to less decorative wraps.

Best wishes

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (97.104.222.---)
Date: May 25, 2022 03:16PM

Trolling rods and down-rigger rods don't suffer a bit from non-functional weight, weight which makes rods look pretty sitting in their holders. Non-functional weight added to any rod used to cast has two benefits: to display one's artistic abilities/taste and to increase the caster's muscle tone.

Posted by: John Cates (Moderator)
Date: May 25, 2022 04:02PM

Custom Rods : Fighter Jets

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2022 04:55PM

Just because someone is using a less sensitive rod does not mean it,s a less sensetive outfit..if they are using b raided line and you are using mono, they are likely fishing with a more sensetive outfit than you ..about a year ago my nephew and I were fishing a small farm pondb with one eight ounce chatter baits,.I was commenting about how easy it was to feel the bait chatter when my nephew said he could not feel the bait until it was half way in..I handed him my rod..he cast and yelled my God I can feel it as soon as I started cranking. What the difference..I said your using mono but I,m using braided line..even though you using a graphite rod and I,,m using glass the line still makes a difference.

Date: May 26, 2022 08:20AM

I have used a thin coat of C.P. - just enough to saturate the threads, as a "primer coat" before applying a thin finish coat of epoxy over guide wraps. The low viscosity of the C.P. ensures no air is trapped between or under the thread wraps, waiting to emerge from the wraps while the epoxy is drying and preserved for eternity in the cured epoxy. Sure, you can heat epoxy before it dries to eliminate air bubbles, but heating epoxy before it is cured invites "finish sag".

Posted by: ben belote (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2022 10:46AM

Exactly Phil and when you heat epoxy your changing it to a lower build and still need to apply another coat to get the build you want..if. a wrap is sealed you. can apply the finish thick or thin and it will stay that way because your not using heat to get penetration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2022 10:43AM by ben belote.

Date: May 26, 2022 05:56PM

I suspect the greatest beneficiaries of the "most sensitive" rods are bait fishermen, particularly anglers using earthworms for bait, but not a bobber.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster