I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Lightest MH 7 foot (ish) bass rod
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 08, 2022 05:14PM

Michael. it's pretty clear from a currently running thread, and my posted opinions in other threads, that I will never be a fan of ERN numbers. But that is just my personal feelings

Be that as it may .... and this just may be my thinking, but action has a lot to do with how a rod feels and fishes, power wise. The rods that I've built that I would consider heavy power, have IPs close to, or over 1,000 grams. They have much stiffer tips than the SJ 736, which is why I feel the SJ 736 fishes lighter than its' named power, of heavy. It may be able to cast a 1 oz bait, but I certainly wouldn't use that heavy of a weight with it. IMO it just doesn't have the tip power for that kind of weight.

Awesome blank though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 08, 2022 05:28PM

David, I was just thinking that you have a real aversion to ERN, not sure why. It's just a number. But I think you understand it, you are rebelling against it. It seems to me. But the fact that you're using IP grams indicates your acceptance of objective power numbers. There seems to be a growing displeasure with ERN in favor of IP grams. This is not going to go over well with some folks on this forum. But I think they will just have to live with it. I think progress is being made.

Yes, action has a lot to do with how a rod feels. No doubt about it. And many fishermen don't get it, that XFast action rods of the same power as moderate action rods will have softer tips. At some power levels, Xfast action rods can feel a little sloppy.

It's pretty complex.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: April 08, 2022 05:45PM

Michael, scv series 7’0” medium fast, blue. St croix casting blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2022 05:47PM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: April 08, 2022 05:54PM

Aleks,
I just weighed my sj725. It came in at 3.69 with longer carbon real seat grips and rear grips along with double nut MVT seat and using size 4 titanium sic’s as runners.

Skeletonize an ECSM and cut down its barrel, drop the RV6 in favor of a single foot 6, and use 3mm over the 4’s (titanium of course) as well as use a shorter 2.5 “ real seat rear grip and this will easily get VERY close to the 3.0 mark you are looking for while maintaining all day comfort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2022 05:56PM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Date: April 08, 2022 06:05PM

Michael, I have the aversion to ERN for the reason you stated. It's just a number.

I definitely understand CCS and what ERN is. CCS is a set of measurements to compare one blank to another. ERN and AA are comparative numbers. Period. It does it's job quite well. My saying it could be modified is not a slight toward CCS nor is it disrespectful to those who developed it. I certainly understand reluctance to change, because not all change is good. But it isn't all bad either. And IMO if we are looking for a wider acceptance of CCS to the point where blank manufacturers and rod makers actually start using it. it needs to express its] data in more relatable forms.

Again. It's no disrespect to the system. It's pretty darned ingenious, and does exactly what it was designed to do.

Date: April 08, 2022 06:22PM

Thanks, Thomas. Thanks, David.

Date: April 09, 2022 05:35AM

567= about 19.7

Date: April 09, 2022 07:36AM

Thank you Michael.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (216.147.124.---)
Date: April 09, 2022 11:31AM

Many moons ago when I was building for bass fisherman who were all about weight savings, I did hit the 2.9oz mark on 7' MH action sticks from the early MHX High Mod line and the Phenix UMBX line. At that time I was weighing everything, all components. I found that the lightest comfortable seat I could get was an ECSM that I split and re-shaped. I was using Fuji BLAG4's for the entire guidetraine spiral wrapped and cork grips, probably 1.5" on the butt and 2.5" behind the seat. It was comfortable to fish if you palmed the seat. Most other blanks in that same category 7' MH would come in closer to 3.2oz to 3.4 oz on the same components. When I read Thomas post, it really sounded a lot like I was building.

Posted by: Alex purvis (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 09, 2022 02:44PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would help if you would define MH with CCS ERN
> value. Spin or baitcast. ERN > ?? 25?
>
> I believe the answer will be a spiral wrapped
> baitcast rod with a skeleton seat, titanium
> guides, minimal split carbon fiber grips. X-fast
> action (AA ~ 80), minimal wraps with Permagloss or
> equivalent wrap finish.
>
> Since the blank has to be close to 2 oz, I would
> think about 3 would be as light as it could get.
> But you have to be specific with the ERN to make
> sure we are all talking the same power.
>
> If I had to design one I would start with one of
> the Point Blank 731's and cut the butt 3 inches.
>
> I have the feeling that Mr. Maslov has a new
> blank/rod/ or kit to propose for us.

Rod building kits from nfc would be awesome!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 10, 2022 01:45AM

Tackletour some years ago had a post where people were listing rod weights, they were virtually all published weights it appeared to me, and some of the glass crankbait rods were listed in the low 3's. Guess my 4.5 oz Seeker BS706 and similar S glass Lami SMB 841 needed some secret sauce, or someone was on it.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2022 04:51PM

Thank you Thomas, will give it a shot :-)

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
> Aleks,
> I just weighed my sj725. It came in at 3.69 with
> longer carbon real seat grips and rear grips along
> with double nut MVT seat and using size 4 titanium
> sic’s as runners.
>
> Skeletonize an ECSM and cut down its barrel, drop
> the RV6 in favor of a single foot 6, and use 3mm
> over the 4’s (titanium of course) as well as use
> a shorter 2.5 “ real seat rear grip and this
> will easily get VERY close to the 3.0 mark you are
> looking for while maintaining all day comfort.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: April 10, 2022 05:02PM

The only "objection" that I have to the ERN is the following:

Probably one of the most sold bass rods all over the world is the GLX Loomis 843c, a "medium heavy" it is about a 20 on the ERN scale, and 1/2 of the US will agree that it is the "original" action medium heavy, and the other half will say that it is "too light"... It is one of the reasons why I gave a range of 19-21...

I'm ready for the fan mail of how our lure/line ratings are all messed up :D

I DO think its important to list the ERN for the blanks, and let the rodbuilder/angler make their own decision if they agree or disagree with our assessment.

Aleks

Michael Danek Wrote:
> David, I was just thinking that you have a real
> aversion to ERN, not sure why. It's just a
> number. But I think you understand it, you are
> rebelling against it. It seems to me. But the
> fact that you're using IP grams indicates your
> acceptance of objective power numbers. There
> seems to be a growing displeasure with ERN in
> favor of IP grams. This is not going to go over
> well with some folks on this forum. But I think
> they will just have to live with it. I think
> progress is being made.
>
> Yes, action has a lot to do with how a rod feels.
> No doubt about it. And many fishermen don't get
> it, that XFast action rods of the same power as
> moderate action rods will have softer tips. At
> some power levels, Xfast action rods can feel a
> little sloppy.
>
> It's pretty complex.

Date: April 10, 2022 08:41PM

Alex, with no disrespect intended, NFC lists a blank with an AA of 82 degrees as having Moderate action while at the same time listing one with an AA of 62 as having a Fast action. If this apparent discrepancy is justified, then ERN of 19-21 could be described as being just about anything. I don't know how this is justified, but I'm listening.

I expect that this represents old info from some who don't really understand the definition of action, but I don't really know.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: April 13, 2022 11:13AM

I agree with Aleks' that it's good to list an objective power measurement. I just don't agree that ERN should be that measurement. Is ERN not based directly on the IP measurement? To my knowledge, there are no other variables/measurements added into the ERN conversion that make it a more descriptive representation of power. The weight (in grams) used to deflect a blank's tip section a distance equal to 1/3 of the blank's total length is the purest (and most simple) form of power described by the CCS. ERN is just an arbitrary representation of IP that's only useful if you're trying to decide between a #19 or #20 fly line for your new med-heavy Texas rig rod;) IP is the more useful and simple option (even for actual fly blanks/rods in my opinion.) Pretty sure I'm going to die on this hill...

-Geoff

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: April 13, 2022 12:38PM

Geoff, I also believe that rod power should be reported as IP vs ERN. I have stated this opinion many times in the past. In my opinion, ERN is an artificial non-proportional construct. As a rod builder I would rather know the IP so I can directly measure and compare blanks without the need for any type of conversion chart or program. I believe that most rod builders also prefer the use of IP over ERN. As for non-rod builders, I don’t think it matters at all as to which one is used, I think they would rather have the subjective ratings of UL through XH and lure weight range, since they have become accustomed to these ratings.
Norm

Date: April 13, 2022 04:54PM

You have company on that hill Geoff lol

Date: April 13, 2022 05:37PM

I'm with you all advocating for IP. But let's not disrupt what ERN was intended to do. It was intended to allow the match of a rod power to an already defined line weight designation. Works fine for that, as far as I know.

For "non-fly rods" IP is the way to go. Geoff, we will all go together.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---)
Date: April 16, 2022 08:45AM

ERN is not directly proportional to IP. Dr Hanneman modified it to better match rod numbers to line numbers. At least that is how I interpret it.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster